Volunteer

At a local gun show this weekend two different dealers had "Volunteer" rifles on their tables. Resembeled a mismatch of 28/M1A1/ compensated finned barrel mess of some sort. Does anyone know the deal on these and are they worth the $500 asking price? I vaguely remember seeing some posts on these at one time. Thanks for any info.

I know the Volunteer is a hunk of junk, but I found something intresting. As far I know all of the Volunteers fire from a closed bolt. There is a guy selling one that he says is a factory open bolt semi auto. He stated that is was one of the first and was made.

Is this true? Were some of guns made (legally) as open bolts?

Norm

There was a .45 Carbine that sort of looked liked a Thompson produced many years ago. (I think it was called an Eagle) That Gun did fire from an Open Bolt. Whether or not a Volunteer was originally manufactured in an Open Bolt Design, I'm unaware. Maybe it was. It should be noted that the "Volunteer" was made by several Companies.

Lionhart,

That must be what I am overloking. If several companies made the Volunteer, it would make sense that there would be differences in the design.

To be honest with you, I would scared to shoot an open bolt Volunteer (even if it was legal.) They are notorious for coming apart.

Thanks,

Norm

If memory serves me right (for which I'm open to correction), there is also at least the Spitfire weapon which was a Thompson somewhat look-alike in .45 ACP that was, for at least some implementations, an open bolt fire mechanism. I believe the ATF may have classified the Spitfire as a class III firearm. Is the Volunteer another incarnation?