Batf Pending Status, Now What?

I checked with the BATF NFA division last week and found that three weeks after I mailed my forms to Chicago, I'm now in pending status as of 7-26-04 for the Colt 1921a that I'm purchasing. The thought occurred to me that I probably should get ready for the receipt of my first NFA weapon between now and then. So, I'm turning to the board for your experience in these things.

This Thompson probably has not been fired for at least 25 years. What should I do to get it ready to fire once again outside of a good cleaning and inspection of parts? What spare parts should I stock up on? Is it safe to fire it with the original buttstock since they had splitting problems in WWII? Should I find a nice Savage 28A1 stock as a shooter stock, holding my original Colt stock back for safety? Do I need a new oiler and buffer assembly? What other spare parts should I stock up on?

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

Any thoughts would be helpful. I don't plan to fire it very much at all, but I at least have to let it sound off once again.

Thanks

Sniper

The best thing to do would be to buy a parts kit from IMA and replace everything except the barrel from the colt with Savage parts. And don't shoot handloads, you might squib the barrel. Only go to this trouble if you plan on shooting the gun a decent amount. If your going to shoot it 5 times a year, leave it alone.

I was planning on firing factory loads, Winchester or Remington. I'd rather pay a few bucks more for factory ammo than worry about a blown barrel.

And then again, the mags that come with it are each triple patent date XX mags, fully loaded these past 25+ years with steel cased WWII GI ammo. Maybe I should use that ammo (nah, better not).

Sniper

Sometimes the WWII grip frames don't fit smoothly on the Colt guns without some fitting, which of course you wouldn't want to do to the Colt receiver. Remember, the Colt receivers and grip frames were hand fitted to each other.

At the minimum I would use a WWII actuator, bolt, recoil spring, oiler, buffer and pilot for shooting. They are easy to replace before shooting and they are interchangeable with the Colt guns. I wouldn't worry about the butt stock cracking just from normal firing. The recoil is negligible and unless the stock is cracked already, normal firing won't affect it.

You may want to replace the wood with WWII wood for the purpose of insuring the original wood doesn't get dinged while shooting at the range, cleaning, etc.

The original non-crossbolt stocks would indeed break or split if a soldier hit the dirt with the weapon between his body and the ground. They didn't just spontaneously split, as the guns develop no sharp recoil. I've had no problem with the non-crossbolt stock on my '28A1, and it's been on there since 1941! A '21 with a cross-bolt stock would look mighty funny indeed.

My father relates a story about his TSMG familiarization training at Camp Maxey, TX, in 1943: an NCO held a thompson with the butt in his crouch, on his chin, and at arm's length, firing a burst in full auto from each position. I don't think he'd have tried that with a Springfield.

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your '21!

QUOTE (snipershot1944 @ Aug 3 2004, 07:32 AM)
What other spare parts should I stock up on?

Thanks

Sniper

A good safe http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

I am with gijive on this one, his recommendations are bang on.

If you happen to have a really good wood set on the gun now just get a nice reproduction set from Deerslayer on these boards. Trust me a fraction of the cost of finding any 1 original piece of the 3 piece set. Better safe than sorry!

The rest of it original barrel and lower should be fine if using factory ammo and also remembering to NEVER EVER EVER recock the weapon if a misfire happens to allow you to fully inpect and make sure NOTHING is still stuck in that irreplacable barrel.

michael

snipershot1944: gijive gives good advice. As to the 11 1/2 week wait - look on the bright side - think how much your gun will go up in value in 11 1/2 weeks! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif