Saw A 28 Overstamp Yesterday

Yesterday I took my M1 sbr to a different gunsmith to get some work done on it. Different from the one who did the initial work on it. I look back now and realize I should have taken my M1 to this gunsmith in the first place. He is a class III dealer and armorer for a number of local police departments among other things. Anyhow, he was super friendly and very willing to work with me. He told me he had his own Thompson and brought it out. It was a Navy 28 overstamp he got in a trade with a police department for several modern smgs. He said it was his retirement. It was a beaut! I was initially going to just get my tommygun reparkerized, because I added radiuses to the top of the receiver. This was not done by the first smith even though he had it eight weeks. I asked him about modifying the mag catch to accept full auto mags. He went and got one of his mags and took his Thompson apart to compare them for the modification and to see what needed to be done. I was so impressed with the fact that he would use his Thompson for a reference and not treat it an untouchable "holy grail". He even took my semi frame and was checking how it fit on his FA upper. I should have mine back within two weeks at the latest. I was going to take my tommygun apart to save some money and found out that the first smith did not take the frame assembly apart before parkerizing it. I found this out when I could not get the pivot plate to budge. This new smith said no problem and that he would take care of it. I cannot wait to see it finished.

He also had a glass case with a number of nice pistols in it at unbelievably low prices. I will definitely do buisness with him again. His shop is attached to his house and so his pets come and go. He has a Siamese cat who reminded me of Bucky Katt from the Get Fuzzy cartoons, except his was a bit friendlier. I finally got a digital camera, so when I get it back I will try to post some pics.

Scott

I'm always looking for new shops to browse and I get to Western NC now and then. Post his shop location and I might stop in for a look see.

Thanks for the story and good luck on the mods to your Thompson, sounds like you've found a good guy to work with.

Gone Postal

Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship...

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Congrats on finding a great gunsmith.. Here's lookin' at you kid.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Thanks fellas! The gunsmith is Phil Flack of PF Custom Guns. His Phone number is (828) 252-9487 and he is outside of Asheville but still in Buncome County.

Scott