Finaly decided to bite the bullet and go put a 10.5 MG barrel on my WH

I went to the FAQ's and they said ATF F-1 and aparently this is the old number. I printed out ATF 5320.1 as this looked to be the Import or manufacture listed in the FAQ's.

Who do you recomend I look up to sign these, Sheriff, Chief of Police?

Can the SBR markings be put on the barrel if I decide at a later time and wish put the original barrel back on, so I don't have to get BATFE aproval to cross the Mississippi?

Is there anyone who has been threw this mess before that would like to talk with me about it. privately or posting ?

Bisley45@hotmail.com

Thanks,

BB

Bisley--

Even though the compliance markings is on the barrel, I'm pretty sure that the SBR status stays with the gun you register it with. In other words, even though you put the long barrel back on, the gun still has the SBR restrictions, unless you have them rescinded with more paperwork. RKIs please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ralph is correct, if you revert you must do it according to AFT rules. Until they change the status on the registry, it is still an SBR regardless of the barrel installed.

According to Part 479.102 of the Code of Federal Regulations:

§479.102 How must firearms be identified?

(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm;

With all due respect Greg:

I had a copy of the statute to which I will refer, but it got scrambled recently. I got it from the ATF web page after a post on subguns mentioned it.

It clearly states that the “maker” markings for an SBR may be placed on the barrel as long as they are not covered by the foregrip, or other normally attached part of the gun. It often was the case in the past that these marks were placed on the frame or barrel under the grip. The ruling was modified to preclude this practice, but allowed the placement to be other than on the receiver.

No time to research it again now, but I will.

TITLE 27--ALCOHOL, TOBACCO PRODUCTS AND FIREARMS

CHAPTER II--BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, AND EXPLOSIVES,

DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE

PART 478_COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION--Table of Contents

Subpart F_Conduct of Business

Sec. 478.92 How must licensed manufacturers and licensed importers

identify firearms, armor piercing ammunition, and large capacity

ammunition feeding devices?

(a)(1) Firearms. You, as a licensed manufacturer or licensed

importer of firearms, must legibly identify each firearm manufactured or imported as follows:

(i) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise

conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped

(impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual

serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not

susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must

not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For

firearms manufactured or imported on and after January 30, 2002, the

engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must

be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than

/16\ inch; and

(ii) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise

conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped

(impressed) or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain

additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not

susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed. For

firearms manufactured or imported on and after January 30, 2002, the

engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be

to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(A) The model, if such designation has been made;

(http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif The caliber or gauge;

© Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when

applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer;

(D) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State

(or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer

maintain your place of business; and

(E) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in

which it was manufactured and the city and State (or recognized

abbreviation thereof) where you as the importer maintain your place of

business. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see

Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.

Thanks PK for clearing that up. I was focused on the serial number placement. I got tunnel vision. You are correct about the rest of the required info. I was assuming that a new serial number was going on the firearm.

Greg, we all consider you the resident authority on such matters; your input has been invaluable in the past and will continue to be.

We all get tunnel vision on occasion and I’m just glad I haven’t been doing it wrong all this time, I have to admit you scared me. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/unsure.gif

I am sure glad you peruse these pages.

Respectfully submitted.