The Blank 20 Magazines

Is there any way to tell the difference between the early WWII unmarked 20 round magazines and the early Colt unmarked 20 round magazines? I have several minty unmarked Colt 20 rounders, and I have two 20 round magazines that are a bit down on their condition and are unmarked. All were purchased at different times. I would assume that they are WWII, however, I can see no difference between the mint Colt magazines and these aside from the finish appearing to be more of a lustre blue on the Colt mags, and more of a dull blue on the other ones. Also, what is the value of a Colt unmarked magazine vs. a WWII unmarked magazine? I'm not looking to sell either type, however, I am just curious as I seem to be able to find them in the $20-$40 range (depending on who has them). Is this a good buy or am I overpaying for them? Thanks for any help.

I think you hit on the basic differences between the early commercial "Blank" model magazine and the WWII version. The early blank type XX has a smooth bright royal blue finish and was the first production box magazine provided with the Colt Thompson. The WWII version generally has a rough dull blue finish. Now days, early Blank commercial mags in good to very good condition go for $100-150. Value of the WWII version is about the same as the marked ones. This has been my experience - Hope this helps.

Greg Fox

If one had Doug Richardon's book on this subject you could learn a bunch more than I can share here.

It is my understanding from this book of his that the Colt mags have a gap mearsured from the edge of the mag to the holes on the side of 0.35" and the military are 0.20". I highly recommend anyone collecting Thomspon mags should own his book on the subject.

As stated the answer is in Doug's book. I would suggest anyone collecting Thompsons purchased all of his books.

Hi Guys, http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

What are the titles of Richardson's books and where can I find them? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/unsure.gif

TIA http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Well........hummmmmm.....i guess i can say i DID have most likley 3 mint unmarked 20 round mags..high luster blue "COLT" i'd guess mags... but sold them to a nice guy....Hey Roger...send me somemore money!!! lol....hell its just money...all the money in the world is out there for me...and i'm still trying to get it....mans gotta give and take alittle i guess....i could never be rich anyways..i'd give it all away!!