Wtk 1928 Parts From Ima-usa

I saw were IMA-USA is offering 1928A1 parts including lowers, barrles and other parts. Has anyone bought any of these parts? Are they military or something else? What is quality? Thanks Rob

P.s. I saw the ad in gun list but it is also up on there web site.

I phoned them around a month ago and asked about the parts.

the bolts were advised to be rusted, pitted and blued over. I have ordered several things from them and the quality leaves something to be desired. I ordered a thompson action cover - it arrived rotted and falling apart. I phoned then and they replace it free - which was no deal as the replacement was also rotted and falling apart. In most cases when they tell the conditon its worse than they describe.... My best bet to to phone Sarco and ask for Dave - he has always described the parts and tells the truth. I have always had good luck with Sarco - I know some have a different opinion...

I ordered a plain actuator once, and they sent me a practically brand new knurled actuator for the same price. Score! Also bought a Lyman sight from them and it was practically unused as well. I guess with anything nearing 60+ years old, you just can't be sure until after the big brown truck gears up away from the porch....

The occasional problem with SARCO, and other wharehouse supply depots, is that if the item in question is packed in grease and retains the factory wrapping, the parts guy assumes that the hardware is NOS. I guess they do not want to violate the packaging to actually check out the condition of what is inside for fear of releasing some ancient curse? Now you may be able to send the item back for refund or exchange, but that does not seem ot be an efficient method of doing business for the customer or the business.

Come on guys, we are talking about parts sets from mil surp WWII guns; do you really expect them to be new? The fact that they have found some to offer is practically a miracle in itself..

I have had no real problem with IMA, or SARCO, just be realistic in your expectations.

How can one debate the definition of such an oxymoronic piece of surplus anyway? How can there be such a thing? Maybe they mean it is stock that is newly acquired, but that is old;-)

Chris,

Everyone's personal experience with ordering parts from these sources pretty much depends on what they actually received in the mail. When the term "NOS" is used to describe any part for any product, i.e. motorcylce, auto, firearm, aircraft, etc, it universally means that this is an unused original part made by a company, or their contractors, that was never sold, or more importantly, installed! I think this problem could easily be settled by the seller if they would just open up the part an inspect it to insure it is what they claim iti is.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif The parts I ordered from IMA-USA was for the M1 Thompson. I bought a M1 bolt & milled grip mount & they were in like new condition. These are all the parts I have ordered from them (I feel lucky). http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

I've gotten several things from IMA now, My M1 bolt was lightly pitted under the pakerizing, the milled 28 forend had no finish to speak of but the metal was in good shape. Sarco was the only company that seemed to have no idea what it was doing, Numirich has been on my list of bottom feeders for over a decade as they don't have a clue how to comunicate between the warehouse and the order desk. Sarco can at least tell you if they have said parts in stock.

BB

I have found that 99% of the people prefer the part in an unopened original package. You are right that NOS is a very abused term. I have been dealing in NOS Ford parts for 30 yrs and what the term NOS means is an original part produced by Ford, new and usually in the original package. The Thompson parts should follow the same lines, but there was so much arsenal rewrap that there are times we find used parts mixed with new items. Just my .02.

I've had mixed luck with mail/phone/internet order. Ohio Ordnance has always sent me nice stuff when advertised as such. Sarco has always sent me crap (or repro or foreign made -even when advertised as USGI). I must be on their "send him crap" list. Their idea of excellent is "it's excellent for being dredged off the bottom of the ocean after sitting there for 60 years." IMA is hit and miss. Same with Northridge. I'd rather pick through the parts bins at shows. YMMV.

Phil,

I would normally prefer merchandise in its original packaging also, however, as you say these WWII parts have been arsenal rewrapped so many times that it is folly to not have the current supplier look inside the wrapping and determine what's been hiding there. I don't think people are collecting these military parts to keep on the shelf in the rewrapped packaging. I think they have a need to use the part, and therefore would like to be spared the mystery of what they may find secreted inside the wrapper.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif I prefer to buy parts from Phil or Doug (I get excellent parts that way). I've been dealing with vintage mustang parts for 22 years & NOS is like what Phil said: Unused parts made by Ford in the orignal box. The Thompson parts ought to be graded that way too. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

rkr,

I've had nothing but good dealings with IMA. They messed-up

on two of my orders (sent the wrong stuff). But where very willing to correct the problem. Not bad for thirty or more orders in 2-3 years!

Will let you know about the '28 parts when I get them. I agree with PK. Remember we are talking about parts sets that are 60+ years old!

Just be happy they are still around!

Take care,

Bill