Aw Ban

From AW Ban Sunset...

Only two weeks left... looking good, but DO NOT assume victory yet!

Congress is currently still in the August recess, and is scheduled to return on September 7th, the day after labor day, and only 4 days before the so-called "assault weapons" ban is set to expire.

The unrelenting rhetoric coming from anti-gun lobby groups, politicians, and editorial writers is becoming increasingly shrill and inflammatory, reflecting the sheer desperation felt by these people. Though they undoubtedly know the ban has had no effect on crime (they have access to the same studies that the rest of us do), the symbolism of the ban not being renewed will be a stunning blow to their misguided cause. And, their credibility is at stake... these are the people who have been insisting that armageddon will befall our country on September 13th if the ban is not renewed. So, expect this outrageous "backed into a corner" rhetoric to worsen dramatically as we enter the ban's final week.

Though neither the House or the Senate have shown any interest in wasting any of the precious little time that remains this session on this issue, the anti-gun organizations will undoubtedly unleash an intense barrage of mistruths in that final week, with the usual goal of trying to deceive the public into supporting something they otherwise wouldn't care much about.

It is YOUR job to ensure your voice is heard too. There's no time for mailing letters. Sending an e-mail won't hurt, but the best thing you can do is to CALL both of your Senators AND your Representative on ***September 7th***, and politely state your strong opposition to renewing the ban.

Before calling your Senators, check this page to see how each voted on the Feinstein amendment to renew the ban earlier this year (the vote is in the far-right column, highlighted in yellow... green "N" was against the ban, red "Y" was for it)...

http://www.awbansunset.com/senate.html

Most politicians already know this is a loser issue that does nothing for public safety, violates the Second Amendment, and could very well cost them their job. If each gets a dozen or two phone calls from ban supporters, but receives hundreds or thousands of calls from opponents of the ban, this belief will once again be reconfirmed.

To help ensure a steady flow throughout the day, I suggest that we stagger our calls.

If your last name begins with:

A - F: call between 9:30am - 11:00am eastern time.

G - L: call between 11:00am - 12:30pm eastern time.

M - S: call between 12:30pm - 2:00pm eastern time.

T - Z: call between 2:00pm - 3:30 eastern time.

Of course, this is merely a suggestion... don't fret if you can't call at your "designated" time. Just call at whatever time you can! Remember, Tuesday, September 7th (the day after Labor Day) is when this phone call drive will take place.

You can easily obtain your elected officials' contact info here:

http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

Forward this to everyone you know, and let us leave no doubt in the minds of our elected officials as to just how unpopular this gun ban is!

Thanks for the updates LIONHART & Virginian!!!

I wrote to my Senators ( Hatch & Bennett ) and my Congressman (Cannon) and I received this e-mail from Rep. Cannon yesterday:

Dear Randy:

Thank you for your letter regarding the expiration of the so-called "assault weapons ban passed in 1994 during President Bill Clinton's first term. I appreciate your input on this important issue.

First, I would like to emphasize my support for the Second Amendment as a protection of the right of individuals to own firearms. Since I arrived in Congress in 1996, I have always worked to ensure my constituents' right to bear arms, and I will continue to do so. The 1994 ban on a variety of semi-automatic weapons was-and still is-a futile attempt to curb violent crime. Our efforts should focus on criminals. Prohibiting guns will not solve the problems facing our society. For example, despite a near-total ban on guns, the District of Columbia has one of the highest crime rates in the country. The solution is likely to be more difficult, including a retrenchment of moral standards and family values, and enforcement of existing laws.

Unless new legislation is passed in both the House and the Senate, the "assault rifles" ban will expire. House leadership has said that they will not allow a bill extending the ban to reach the floor. Rest assured that I will work hard to defeat any legislation that would reinstate the assault weapons ban.

Again, thank you for taking the time to inform me of your views. Please write me again in the future if I can be of assistance on this or any other issue.

Warmest regards,

Chris Cannon

Member of Congress

Senators Hatch and Bennett usually take a little longer to respond, but it is by U.S. Mail and always a very personable letter from each; not a typical generic fomatted rubber stambed letter. We in Utah are very lucky to have the pro-firearm people that we have in Washington D.C. !!!!

Best regards

Randy

Damon,

I just don't know what has gotten into these Utah politicians. I think they just don't care about being politically correct; the nerve of some folks!

Randy http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Randy, send me a copy of the letter you sent to your peoples out there. I'll send it to mine and see if I get a answer like that. The one I got back from old Evan Bayh was the bullshit politician answer. " I support the second amendment, but I don't like people to have guns." Not exactly like that, but beating around the bush at it.