6160 T-6 Alloy Receiver

Hello,

I purchased a Auto Ordnance 1927 semi auto. I wanted the steel receiver however, that was not available in the pistol format. My question is, should I be concerned with an alloy receiver Tommy? I would like to know if anyone has experience with the newer A. Ordnance alloy 1927's. I heard allot of bad stuff with the older West Hurley models.

I have read Savage built a few aluminum full auto Thompson's for the British to test out in WW2. The Brits said they wore to excessive in the mag slots, and the receiver's were to weak for combat use. However, I am sure aluminum alloy has came along way since the 40's though?

Edited by Turpin81

Thanks, Yes from what I have read Aluminum is strong but is soft so it will wear quicker if steel parts slide or slam into it frequently. I suppose that's why A.O. has such a strong recoil spring in there 1927a1

I built a semi-auto Thompson that has an aluminum trigger frame (lower receiver) and it definitely is showing signs of

wear although not as much as you you think. Modern aluminum can be made pretty durable. Remember, they use it

in aircraft and those plane surfaces undergo huge forces.

Edited by T Hound

Hi, Thanks for the reply's. How old is that gun T-Hound. I am just curious to see how many rounds it held up to. I do wish I could get a replacement steel receiver to keep around incase this one wears out, However, I can't find Just the receivers for sale. Edited by Turpin81

• 2 weeks later...

I have put 500 rounds (probably more because I don't really count) through it so far.

It is a semi-auto of course which will always fare better than the TSMG aluminum receivers

they experimented with in WW2. But I have three Thompsons with different configurations.

So I shoot all three.

If you really want a steel receiver for a Thompson pistol you could always buy one of

Recon Bob's (Philadelphia Ordnance) 80% receiver and MAKE one yourself. It

can be done with a 5 speed drill press and LOTS of patience in drilling and grinding it

out. Then you must have a lower trigger frame which does not have a hole or slot

for either a bolt on stock nor a slide on stock. Have the words "Thompson Pistol"

etched onto the side and "voila" you have a Thompson pistol. I plan to build one

myself this year because it can legally have a 10 inch barrel on it because it is

a pistol.

Edited by T Hound

If you mean "will the trigger frame of your pistol work with a Philadelphia Ordnance 1921 or 1928 receiver then the answer is no. These receivers are based off the Full-auto receivers and are therefore 1/10th of an inch higher than the semi-auto receivers. While the bolt channels are the same length and width they are NOT the same

depth. The semi-auto bolt would not, therefore, function correctly in the full-auto receiver. To make a semi-auto from the P.O. receivers you will have to go over to Weapons Guild and find a build for a semi-auto. A full-auto bolt will have to be modified to be semi-auto so that it will fit the Philadelphia Ordnance receiver, but you have to put in "denial" pins or islands that keep a full-auto bolt from fitting into your receiver and you will have to mill, grind, cut the former FA bolt to fit those denial islands. There are a few BATF approved designs out there. This assumes you have some machine experience or at least the desire to learn. Otherwise it becomes a felony. Not good. But the end result will be an authentic looking Thompson because the receiver will be the same dimensions as the TSMG. The bad news is that you can NEVER sell it to anyone, although I have heard you can sell to a Manufacturer or if YOU become a manufacturer.

Edited by T Hound

The bad news is that you can NEVER sell it to anyone, although I have heard you can sell to a Manufacturer or if YOU become a manufacturer.

T-Hound,

Have to disagree with you on this . You can not as an unlicensed individual build a firearm for the purpose of selling. You are not required to put a serial number on the firearm but if you ever transfer it it must have a serial number and makers mark. You are not prevented from transferring the firearm at a later date. Note that we are talking about Federal law, not California.

See the attachments.

Joe

HOME BUILT SALE OF FIREARM.doc

ATF's%20AMD-65%20Response%20-%20Pg%201.jpg

ATF's%20AMD-65%20Response%20-%20Pg%202.jpg

I stand corrected. Thank you Joe! That actually is good news---for a change. Edited by T Hound

Thanks guys. I dont intend to sell it though. Its good data to know just incase , thanks.

I will keep you informed when and If I get a new reciever how it goes. I may just build a new semi auto , instead of putting the reciever on my current A.O. semi. pistol.

Un-fortunatly at this time Philadelphia Ordnance does not make a reciever that will work with the A.O. bolt. like T-hound said its 1 10th shorter.

Mabee I can have one milled down I/10th?

lol all this work for a steel reciever thompson pistol. Darn you A.O.!!!

Thanks guys. I dont intend to sell it though. Its good data to know just incase , thanks.

I will keep you informed when and If I get a new reciever how it goes. I may just build a new semi auto , instead of putting the reciever on my current A.O. semi. pistol.

Un-fortunatly at this time Philadelphia Ordnance does not make a reciever that will work with the A.O. bolt. like T-hound said its 1 10th shorter.

Mabee I can have one milled down I/10th?

lol all this work for a steel reciever thompson pistol. Darn you A.O.!!!

Understandable reaction Turpin81 but probably Kahr did it because the steel

receivers would be too heavy for a single hand hold for most people. I believe

the rules require that the pistol can be held with one hand and by using the aluminum

receiver it is only 7 pounds, as a rifle, rather than 10.5 pounds. So after the stock is removed

it becomes even less and "Voila" a pistol. And using steel, and more weight, probably

would have made a BATF approval more difficult in todays day and age of gun grabbing.

But this is only my interpretation. Please don't take it as the Gospel truth.

Edited by T Hound

That makes since T-hound, I was just kidding though. :happy: . I was debating on ordering the P.O. receiver and finding a 28 bolt. or just getting my alloy receiver and frame metalife , nickel or some sort of quility finish to stop wear. I have found a guy who makes 80 percent steel receiver that has some to fit the A.O. bolt 1/10th shorter. however he's retail for over 600 bucks.

I

That makes since T-hound, I was just kidding though. :happy: . I was debating on ordering the P.O. receiver and finding a 28 bolt. or just getting my alloy receiver and frame metalife , nickel or some sort of quility finish to stop wear. I have found a guy who makes 80 percent steel receiver that has some to fit the A.O. bolt 1/10th shorter. however he's retail for over 600 bucks.

I suggest you go to Philadelphia Ordnance and check out ReconBob's website. He has multiple options and prices depending upon what you want. If you get the

basic 80% without writing or blueing then it is not expensive at all. Of course the extras, requiring a lot more work, are going to start inching the price up. I got mine

unblued and without writing because that gives the option of either making a rifle OR a Thompson Pistol. I am pretty sure he told me once that he also does the

semi-auto 80% receiver so you could call and ask him.

The URL is :www.philaord.com/

Are you sure it was Philadelphia Ordnance? He makes receivers in batches. Maybe he stopped making

them due to lack of interest. Hard to say. But I PM'd him and asked so sooner or later he will confirm or

deny that.

No brother, Bob also does sell the trigger frame (lower receiver), but it is only for the full-auto; i.e. you're right

he doesn't sell the SEMI-AUTO trigger frame that I have ever seen. I PM'd him a day ago to ask because

I am curious since I buy receivers from him and plan to buy the trigger frame too. But a phone call during

the day is probably your best bet. He's a nice guy, but just be warned that he will want you to get

to the point because of his production time constraints.

I made a couple of 4140 steel semi-auto M1 pattern receivers about a year or so

ago, expecting that there would be interest. I put one on gunbroker and it sold for

(I think) about $440. At that price its not worth doing so I just dropped the idea.

Bob/Phila Ord

I made a couple of 4140 steel semi-auto M1 pattern receivers about a year or so

ago, expecting that there would be interest. I put one on gunbroker and it sold for

(I think) about $440. At that price its not worth doing so I just dropped the idea.

Bob/Phila Ord

Yep, I was afraid of that. Economics rules-always. Has too. But was this version an 80%

blued and have engraving? Or was it a bare metal 80% receiver? I know there is a

difference on your full-auto 80% receivers.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning. here is a link to the other semi auto receiver's I have found. http://www.thompsons...INFORMATION.htm

Yes that is Doug Richardson's site. I actually have an order with him for a semi-auto receiver. The problem is that

Doug has not been able to see well enough to machine the back orders of his receivers for at least three years.

Since he works alone, that situation is unlikely to change in the near future. Afterall, it has already been three years.

But I wish Doug good health-especially eye health.