Magazine Feed Lip Tool

I had a lot of magazines that would not feed properly, jam etc. After seeing a thread on Glen Whittenberger’s "mag anvil" and discovering that Glen had unfortunately passed away, I embarked on a project to make a tool to fix my mags. After a lot of trial and error I believe I have come up with an improved version of Glen's tool, at least it worked for me. I used several magazines that were gauged and adjusted by PK to get the dimensions correct. As can be seen in the pictures I added an alignment bolt through the magazine catch hole to secure the tool to the correct height and made the tool thick enough that it fits snugly inside the magazine body to correct any potential dents in the sides of the magazine. I made the tool long enough to work on both 20 & 30 round mags and about 21/2 inches longer than a 30 round mag so it could be held in a vise. Once inserted with the alignment bolt in place some gentle tapping with a nylon faced gunsmith hammer brought the feed lips back where they belong. I hate to call it a "mag anvil" since that congers up visions of using a 4 pound hammer on the magazines, gentle persuasion works better.

post-261606-0-45244400-1579976142_thumb.jpg

post-261606-0-51679300-1579976173_thumb.jpg

post-261606-0-42252200-1579976196_thumb.jpg

post-261606-0-66001900-1579976218_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tiz

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done. Do you plan on selling any?

Well, I hadn't really thought about it, I just needed something to fix all my magazines and got the inspiration from seeing pictures of Glen's creation. I suppose I could fabricate more but I would have no idea what to charge. Any suggestions from the community?

Edited by Tiz

You did it the right way, indexing from the mag release hole. That was always my issue with Glen's.

Have you tried it out yet?

You did it the right way, indexing from the mag release hole. That was always my issue with Glen's.

Have you tried it out yet?

Yes I have. It worked on the mags that I had issues with. They work fine now.

It appears there a growing interest in the repair tool. I guess I need to come up with a catchy name. I may have to get to work in the shop. I would also have to determine a price as well, figuring the cost of the materials etc. Any suggestions on what is a fair price ? I know in 2003 Glen was charging about $50.00 for his mag anvil.

Put me down for one as well.

I was about to start a thread asking if anyone had such a tool that they could bring to Tracie’s shoot in August so I could fix two of my magazines that had feed issues.

I'd be interested in one if the price can be kept to around $100.

I am thinking that would probably be about where I would be at, with material and time. I just wonder how much interest there would be at that price.

I can see needing 2, one for the house and one for the shop.

If you are thinking about a production run, I would like to talk about having these to sell on the APEX web site.

Richard

Thanks Richard. That is a real complement. We will see how it goes and keep the offer in mind. At the present time it's a one off, but making more is certainly possible if there is a real interest.

I'd be interested in one if the price can be kept to around $100.

I am thinking that would probably be about where I would be at, with material and time. I just wonder how much interest there would be at that price.

If the original tool was $50, accounting for inflation, I guessed at $100. It would be a once in a lifetime purchase and pay for itself after a few uses.

I can see needing 2, one for the house and one for the shop.

If you are thinking about a production run, I would like to talk about having these to sell on the APEX web site.

Richard

Thanks Richard. That is a real complement. We will see how it goes and keep the offer in mind. At the present time it's a one off, but making more is certainly possible if there is a real interest.

I have spent enough time "adjusting" the feed lips on all sorts of magazines to appreciate a mandrel made to make the task easier and do a consistent job.

I like the idea of carrying parts and tools to keep our guns running better.

I added the new manufacture M1A1 barrels based on feedback here, and hope to soon carry the "generic" 50 round drums that seemed to be well liked.

Richard