Colt 1210

Does appear to be two different guns. The 1210 rear is saw cut and the front appears as it was saw cut originally. Lines look awful straight. The barreled nose is 12154, but the fins look rounded and the front of the barrel is not threaded, or looks that way in the photos.

Even if the barrel is original Colt its been welded under the front receiver stub as well as inside. It appears somone attempted to clear the chamber by drilling it out so its no good beyond a display piece (see photos 20,21,&22). We can record what happened to colt model 1210. At this point the markings are cut into its good for nothing but a paper weight.Looks like somone had a colt center section they were going to weld back together and abandoned the project after trying to drill the plug out and probly screwing the chamber. The flat ejector may be the only salvagable part but doubting its a Colt,more likely an early Savage,along with receiver cqtch.A shame to see those 2 guns meet that fate .There should be exceptions to C&R guns War time Thompsons were made in the USA before the 86' cut off and should be able to be put into the registry because they are not'NEW' machineguns. Edited by Countryboy77
  • Upvote 1

Even if the barrel is original Colt its been welded under the front receiver stub as well as inside. It appears somone attempted to clear the chamber by drilling it out so its no good beyond a display piece (see photos 20,21,&22). We can record what happened to colt model 1210. At this point the markings are cut into its good for nothing but a paper weight.Looks like somone had a colt center section they were going to weld back together and abandoned the project after trying to drill the plug out and probly screwing the chamber. The flat ejector may be the only salvagable part but doubting its a Colt,more likely an early Savage,along with receiver cqtch.A shame to see those 2 guns meet that fate .There should be exceptions to C&R guns War time Thompsons were made in the USA before the 86' cut off and should be able to be put into the registry because they are not'NEW' machineguns.

The frame latch and its spring might also be salvageable.

I suspect that both the front and middle parts are Colt's, though obviously not matching. According to Gordon, both Colt serial numbers 1210 and 12154 went to Mexico and were later destroyed. The parts sets were then imported back into the U.S. My guess is that when the sets were brought back into the U.S., there was no effort to match up the parts.

I do not know enough about hidden Colt's serial numbers to know the significance of the K.

I agree with Mohawk64. The barrel does look bulged.

The rear sight outline on the back piece certainly seems to indicate a WWII fixed sight was originally on that part.

Edited by TSMG28
  • Upvote 1

Arthur,

Great catch on the letter "K" inspector marking on the receiver of NO 12154 in the grip mount area. You have shown forum members these inspector markings on Colt's many times over the years.

Reconbob had the frame of NO 10089 listed for sale on gunbroker.com recently. Note the letter "K" inspector mark on the frame in the grip area.

pix164524047.jpg pix503488416 - K mark.jpg

I noted the auction for these Thompson remnants (NO 1210 & NO 12154) has reached $1975 as of this morning. Can anyone explain to me why anyone would think these parts are worth anywhere near this (rising) price. I agree several of the demilled parts would make great display items at the Thompson Shows & Shoots, but other than that.... And at the current price? What am I missing?

Arthur,

Great catch on the letter "K" inspector marking on the receiver of NO 12154 in the grip mount area. You have shown forum members these inspector markings on Colt's many times over the years.

Reconbob had the frame of NO 10089 listed for sale on gunbroker.com recently. Note the letter "K" inspector mark on the frame in the grip area.

Tom,

The K on Bob's #10089 frame does look identical. "Z" and "K" on frame ridge have been reported on higher serial numbers. Now it seems it is likely they will be found under the grip support as well.

These inspector/assembler initials are as yet unidentified Colt employees.

post-110-0-30501000-1655074751_thumb.jpg

I noted the auction for these Thompson remnants (NO 1210 & NO 12154) has reached $1975 as of this morning. Can anyone explain to me why anyone would think these parts are worth anywhere near this (rising) price. I agree several of the demilled parts would make great display items at the Thompson Shows & Shoots, but other than that.... And at the current price? What am I missing?[/font][/size][/color]

Your not missing anything.Lots of sellers getting ridiculous prices and lots of sellers not collecting the money. Maybe the guys trying to launder money putting things up tgen payibg ridiculous prices. Happens on ebay all the time. 100,000 chicken mcnuggets ect.Either the guys bidding have money and not knowledgeable to know the barrel looks bulged and welded and drilled out thinking they can salvage some original colt parts.Or somone wants to weld it back together to build an authentic Colt maybe even as a semi auto I seen some beautiful work on Weapons Guild.Me If I wanted to build a Colt I would start with one of Bobs receivers.I would see it being a cool conversation piece as is maybe spme big wig wants an expensive desk or bookshelf decoration.Maybe a cool lamp.

Well I guess people must have the money. I like "used" stuff too.

Somebody paid a lot of money for "the sequined dress" Marily Monroe wore to President Kennedy's birthday celebration in 1963.

Then Kim Kardashian wore it to an awards ceremony.

Kinda like firing re-loads through a SVDM Colt Thompson gun... Phil

Someone bought this.

And...they paid waaay too much money.

All Thompson related metal pieces seem to be worth their weight in precious metals these days. $426.99...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/935874234

In case you thought that was an anomaly, an earlier receiver front end sold for $428.99

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/934730868

Edited by Bridgeport28A1