Drums Vs.stick

Hello all!

Thought i would ask some experts here.Now as you know i have a Capone website dedicated to gangsters.In the St. Valentine's day massacre it was shown that two thompsons were used.Seventy .45 ACP shells surrounded the seven bodies.It was assumed one thompson had a twenty rd. clip and the other a 50 rd. drum.Some historians stated that this was probably the case because the killers wanted to make sure that least one of the two guns didn't jam.

Now onto my question does the drum have a higher failure rate than a stick mag?or the other way around?

I have a japan thompson model gun and the stick mag misfires, but the drum is flawless.(fired it off today man what a thrill)!!!!!!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I want to know about the real thompsons guns and their mags from the people who actually use them

The guns in the massacre were 1921 models.

Best regards to all,

Mario

Well, I don't really know -- but there is some reason why the M1 WWII model does not take drums. And I remember reading it was because the drums were unreliable under battlefield conditions.

But I would think they could have used two drums for that attack because they could clean, lubel and test them.

My drums function perfectly and the stick mags cause more problems because of the feed lips must be in spec. to like .50-.55 or something like that. I still need to buy a mag anvil, but I keep on forgetting.

Jr

I have had no reliability problems in my 1928A1 with either XX, XXX's, or my L's. On occasion, my military L will not feed the first round, making it an IL. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif Or is that a XXXXIX?

The military preferred the box magazine to the drum because they didn't rattle and were easier to reload IMHO. When the M1 was designed, it was a part of the simplification of manufacture to eliminate the cuts for drums making it cheaper and quicker to produce.

In the early 70's I talked to a Norwegian WW2 veteran who'd been equipped with an M1928 and L-drum on a raid on the Norwegian coast. He didn't have much good to say about it (weight and bulk) but it was the drum that was giving him the most serious problems; it rattled and alerted the German sentries that he was trying to sneak up on.

As others have commented on, I think that the time spent reloading the drum was also a reason why the drum

never was popular in action.

Once I figure out how to do it, I'll show you guys some pictures of the Thompson in use by Norwegian military/resistance forces in WW2. Nick, can you help with pictures?

Regards,

Balder

Whenever there is a function problem at my range the consesus is to try a drum as this seems to eliminate bad feed lips,week mag springs,and elongated magcatch holes...which seem to be the main causes of shooting breakdowns...drums seem to be very reliable in the civilian sector...obviously using a known good running drum helps...just my .02,out. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

QUOTE (rsilvers @ Mar 14 2004, 12:25 AM)
Well, I don't really know -- but there is some reason why the M1 WWII model does not take drums. And I remember reading it was because the drums were unreliable under battlefield conditions.

But I would think they could have used two drums for that attack because they could clean, lubel and test them.

There were a few reasoning for doing away with the drum.

1 - War is rough and you can't be rough with the drums and expect them to function.

2 - Drums rattled which made noise

3 - The same space/area required for a 100 round drum will hold 4 or 5 mags. So, with mags you can hold more rounds per storage/carry area. (Forgot where I read about this explanation.)

I have a drum of each capacity, except that 10 round turd. They all run great to good, except for my WH "C" drum. I have tried to use it once and it would fire 10-15 rounds then stop rotating. I talked to Merle in December at the SAR show and he told me to send it in and have the spring fixed, I haven't yet but I will. Even my WH "L" drums run good, and my "XL" drums (39 rounds) run good. But they are just to small to really run in a FA gun. By the way I have 4 "L" drums, 2-WH 1-Crosby, 1-Bridgeport, 2-"XL" toy drums and 1-WH "C" drum. So now it's only 7 drum Mike. I should have never sold that 8th drum.

My WH 28 was tuned by PK and it runs 100% with a Bridgeport and WH "L" drums, 12 different XX mags and 12 different XXX mags. PK can do miracles. He is the best gunsmith I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Just my .02

Had a WH '27 and used a new Bridgeport L with perfect results. Have had a Colt 21a for 17 yrs now and use an assortment of XX , XXX and XVIII box mags in it, as well as my serial #'d L drum. The drum works 100%. The boxes occasionally fail. This is with about 10,000 reloads run thru the gun.