Thompson Guns in British & Aussie Service

Sounds similar to mine, apart from mine being an AO made one, and mine doesn't have the REME stock mod, and having what I think is the Aussie marks.

Indeed nice piece, appears to have seen less wear and tear than mine.

As for the markings, I am no expert, but according to Ian Skennertons Small arms identification series No.17, '.45 Thompson Sub-Machine Gun', Australian owned weapons were stamped DD (Defence Department) and AF (Royal Australian Air Force).

That is not to say Frank Iannamico is incorrect, I have a copy of his American Thunder, which I often refer to. I have found in the past that there is sometimes conflicting information in different reference books and also new information being discovered, which older publications did not have access too, when they were published.

Stay safe

Richard

Sounds similar to mine, apart from mine being an AO made one, and mine doesn't have the REME stock mod, and having what I think is the Aussie marks.

Is the E A S broad arrow stamp the Aussie marking?

I have a M1 butt stock with "Britiish" modifications the same stamping.

mAQYZM3l.jpg

6F91uXXl.jpg

2dUjJEkl.jpg

I bought this M1928A1 back in 1991/2 ish, and the dealer I bought it from said it was one of a batch that came out of an armoury disposal in India 6 months or so earlier, which included some early dated Bren’s as well.

Clearly it’s a British/Commonwealth issued gun, but other than AO acceptance mark, and these marks, the only other stamps are the sold out of service double arrow mark alongside a P on top of the barrel joint, as shown attached, but I’ve always wondered why there are no British marks though in all this time.

I’m aware of the D^D mark normally associated with Aussie stuff, and the N^Z mark for New Zealand as well etc.

I’ve just been doing a bit of digging, and found a post on another board about 5 years ago, from a Canadian asking about an identical mark to the butt stock posted above by Bridgeport28A1 above, stamped on the side of the stock of a Mannlicher 88/90 rifle he owns. He had been advised by another Canadian, that it was Indian. An Australian poster also suggested it was also a pre-1947 Indian acceptance mark, especially as a lot of Italian East African rifles captured by the British & Commonwealth armies in Ethiopia in 1941 were shipped to India. The mark is apparently typical of Indian Service markings.

So, the story told by the dealer nearly 30 years might have correct, but I’m still puzzled that my gun has no other markings showing British or other Commonwealth acceptance marks BEFORE it might have been handed over to the Indians, unless it was issued direct to an Indian Regt in Burma/Far East when new in WW2?

All alternative theories happily considered :happy:

post-262730-0-77916500-1588609762_thumb.jpg

I bought this M1928A1 back in 1991/2 ish, and the dealer I bought it from said it was one of a batch that came out of an armoury disposal in India 6 months or so earlier, which included some early dated Bren’s as well.

Clearly it’s a British/Commonwealth issued gun, but other than AO acceptance mark, and these marks, the only other stamps are the sold out of service double arrow mark alongside a P on top of the barrel joint, as shown attached, but I’ve always wondered why there are no British marks though in all this time.

I’m aware of the D^D mark normally associated with Aussie stuff, and the N^Z mark for New Zealand as well etc.

I’ve just been doing a bit of digging, and found a post on another board about 5 years ago, from a Canadian asking about an identical mark to the butt stock posted above by Bridgeport28A1 above, stamped on the side of the stock of a Mannlicher 88/90 rifle he owns. He had been advised by another Canadian, that it was Indian. An Australian poster also suggested it was also a pre-1947 Indian acceptance mark, especially as a lot of Italian East African rifles captured by the British & Commonwealth armies in Ethiopia in 1941 were shipped to India. The mark is apparently typical of Indian Service markings.

So, the story told by the dealer nearly 30 years might have correct, but I’m still puzzled that my gun has no other markings showing British or other Commonwealth acceptance marks BEFORE it might have been handed over to the Indians, unless it was issued direct to an Indian Regt in Burma/Far East when new in WW2?

That is really interesting information, an Indian issued TSMG? Maybe the acceptance was made when the weapons arrived in India and therefore did not require British markings?

In the past I read that the proposed distribution of the initial 100,000 TSMGs ordered by the British included 5,000 TSMGs for India.

On file I have a picture of a TSMG transit chest which is marked as being shipped from Indian, (Karachi, which was India at the time), during WW2.

Box 100.jpg

Not in Burma, but Indian troops, one armed with a TSMG, in Italy 1943.

Sikh Troops Itlay 1943.jpg

and finally, an M1A1 which also has its foregrip checked.

M1A1.jpg

Stay safe

Richard

Is you 1928A1 an Auto Ordnance built gun?

Yes, it is.

post-262730-0-61121200-1588618483_thumb.jpg

n file I have a picture of a TSMG transit chest which is marked as being shipped from Indian, (Karachi, which was India at the time), during WW2.

attachicon.gif Box 100.jpg

That's obviously been remade out of a much older crate, looking at the stencil on the side implying it was dispatched from Cogswell & Harrison Cannon works in West London....!

Cogswell & Harrison still exist, and they are London's oldest surviving gunmaker's, dating back to 1770.

https://www.cogswellandharrison.com/

Interesting :)

n file I have a picture of a TSMG transit chest which is marked as being shipped from Indian, (Karachi, which was India at the time), during WW2.

attachicon.gif Box 100.jpg

That's obviously been remade out of a much older crate, looking at the stencil on the side implying it was dispatched from Cogswell & Harrison Cannon works in West London....!

Cogswell & Harrison still exist, and they are London's oldest surviving gunmaker's, dating back to 1770.

https://www.cogswellandharrison.com/

Interesting :)

Nope, I do not believe it was remade out of an original case, just painted over a number of times.

In 1940, when the British placed their order for Thompson sub machine guns, the weapons were planned to be distributed as unit weapons. At that time, unit weapons, such as Vickers machine guns, Lewis and Bren light machine gun, were all stored in transit chests, as they are nobody's personal responsibility and were issued to whoever ‘signed for them’, from the units armoury, with a set of ancillaries, (magazines, cleaning rod / kit, spares), which were required for the weapons.

Therefore, the War department arranged contracts for the manufacture of transit chests designed specifically for the Thompson, and the weapon serial number was pencilled inside the lid.

The chests were designed to hold not only the Thompson gun, but also three 50 round ‘L’ drums, five stick magazines, cleaning rod and spare parts kit.

There were several contractors producing these chests, so perhaps one was Cogswell & Harrison, a total of 63,051 Thompson transit chests were produced.

Thompson Model of 1928’s, were initially shipped abroad to India and Australia etc. in these transit chests. Indeed, some found their way to Norway and were still in use with the Norwegian Navy until around 1985, as were their Thompson 1928’s.

In June 1941 the decision was taken that the Thompson guns would be issued as a personal weapon and therefore the chests were no longer required, so the contracts were cut short. The War department then looked at converting the transit chests to hold box magazines and also 50 round ‘L’ drums, and drawings for the conversions exist.

I mentioned the transit chests in an article I wrote for the May issue of 'The Armourer' magazine on the Thompson Gun accessories.

Here is an old post about the chests, which you may find of interest:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11386&hl=

Post #18, in the above link, by Bridgeport28A1 has a link to YouTube and in the clip you can see the chests being loaded etc.

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps

So how does one get India from EAS? Did the British Government issue Thompson to India troops?

Or is it stamped EAS indicating service in India with British troops?

What exactly the letters mean is still a bit of a mystery.

But the markings on your stock are exactly the same stamping as seen on this guys Mannlicher 88/90 rifle stock, and as typically as seen on captured Italian rifles sent to India by the British in 1941 for second line Indian use during the war.

Yes, Britain did issue Thompson's to Indian regiments fighting with the British Army in Italy, Africa and the Far East. They also likely handed over a lot of arms to India in 1947 on India's Independence that were sitting in British Army armouries when we pulled out.

So how does one get India from EAS? Did the British Government issue Thompson to India troops?

Or is it stamped EAS indicating service in India with British troops?

I am not sure about the meaning of the initials, but the proposed distribution of the initial 100,000 TSMGs ordered by the British included 5,000 TSMGs for India.

See photo above and also this one:

Indian Troops with TSMGs.jpg

Edited by rpbcps

In 1940, when the British placed their order for Thompson sub machine guns, the weapons were planned to be distributed as unit weapons. At that time, unit weapons, such as Vickers machine guns, Lewis and Bren light machine gun, were all stored in transit chests, as they are nobody's personal responsibility and were issued to whoever ‘signed for them’, from the units armoury, with a set of ancillaries, (magazines, cleaning rod / kit, spares), which were required for the weapons.

Therefore, the War department arranged contracts for the manufacture of transit chests designed specifically for the Thompson, and the weapon serial number was pencilled inside the lid.

The chests were designed to hold not only the Thompson gun, but also three 50 round ‘L’ drums, five stick magazines, cleaning rod and spare parts kit.

There were several contractors producing these chests, so perhaps one was Cogswell & Harrison, a total of 63,051 Thompson transit chests were produced.

Thompson Model of 1928’s, were initially shipped abroad to India and Australia etc. in these transit chests. Indeed, some found their way to Norway and were still in use with the Norwegian Navy until around 1985, as were their Thompson 1928’s.

Yep, done in the same way for the same reasons, as the No.15 chest for the No.4(T) sniper rifles. Even use the same hinge and fastener design.

Yes, maybe Coswell & Harrison, as you say were one of the contractors, as they likely would have been involved in WD work in some capacity during the war, much as Holland & Holland were with the contract for the conversions of the No.4(T) sniper rifles. (one of my other major interests, as I own a mint live firing 4(T) with full chest and all contents.

Are you aware there is a guy in the UK that remakes the Thompson chests to that W^D spec?

Interesting about the Norwegian Navy and still having Thompson that late. I also have a slight interest in that, as my live firing K98 is an ex-Norwegian Navy rifle, allocated to the KNM from captured German stock at the end of WW2. Mine is doubly rare as by chance it was also, an original German Kriegsmarine issue K98, made in Jan 1940, so likely went to to Norway in April 1940 with the Kriegsmarine during the invasion of Norway. Most of the captured K98's were re-barreled in the mid 1950's to 30-06 to make use of free 30-06 ammo stocks being handed out by the USA, but the KNM retained all their K98's in original 7.92x57.

Seems the KNM preferred hanging onto the good old stuff :D

Edited by GeeRam

Yes, it is.

The Serif P proof mark on the barrel is the giveaway. Original Savage barrels are stamped with a Sans Serif P. By the way, your gun's sn is only 1850 away from My AO 28.

The furniture industry was making the chests, not gunmakers, who were given tasks more suitable to their talents.

True.

But, Cogswell & Harrison were one of the contractors for making the standard WW2 W^D binoculars. They also did a small contract run for the FS fighting knives, and perhaps are better known for making many of the bespoke and secretive clandestine equipment for the SOE.

Yep, done in the same way for the same reasons, as the No.15 chest for the No.4(T) sniper rifles. Even use the same hinge and fastener design.

Yes, maybe Coswell & Harrison, as you say were one of the contractors, as they likely would have been involved in WD work in some capacity during the war, much as Holland & Holland were with the contract for the conversions of the No.4(T) sniper rifles. (one of my other major interests, as I own a mint live firing 4(T) with full chest and all contents.

Are you aware there is a guy in the UK that remakes the Thompson chests to that W^D spec?

Interesting about the Norwegian Navy and still having Thompson that late. I also have a slight interest in that, as my live firing K98 is an ex-Norwegian Navy rifle, allocated to the KNM from captured German stock at the end of WW2. Mine is doubly rare as by chance it was also, an original German Kriegsmarine issue K98, made in Jan 1940, so likely went to to Norway in April 1940 with the Kriegsmarine during the invasion of Norway. Most of the captured K98's were re-barreled in the mid 1950's to 30-06 to make use of free 30-06 ammo stocks being handed out by the USA, but the KNM retained all their K98's in original 7.92x57.

Seems the KNM preferred hanging onto the good old stuff :D

In my collection I have a 'KNM' marked Thompson Recoil Tool which I bought a few years ago.

KNM Marked Stripping tool.jpg

KNM Marked tool profile.jpg

Here is a picture of a Norwegian Navy Transit chest that a colleague sent me.

TSMG Chest Norway 2018.jpg

TSMG Chest Norway 2018 Inside.jpg

Yes, the Germans left a lot of small arms in Norway in 1945.

1945 Captured weapons.JPG

The furniture industry was making the chests, not gunmakers, who were given tasks more suitable to their talents.

Good point. Perhaps Coswell & Harrison obtained the chest complete with Thompson, post WW2, and they modified the gun to semi auto only. One of the Deactivated Thompsons in my collection is an early Model of 1928, which had been modified to semi auto only for civilian ownership and use, prior to the changes in the UK firearms act in 1988.

Edited by rpbcps

Yes, it is.

The Serif P proof mark on the barrel is the giveaway. Original Savage barrels are stamped with a Sans Serif P. By the way, your gun's sn is only 1850 away from My AO 28.

Wow......what's the odds on that...!!

What's that 2 days worth of production apart?

I've tried working out an approximation of build for mine, but not worked it out for the AO serials, any idea?

I think I've managed to work it out for my early Savage made 28 based on the serials, and monthly production figures, but not for the AO prefixed ones.

Good point. Perhaps Coswell & Harrison obtained the chest complete with Thompson, post WW2, and they modified the gun to semi auto only. One of the Deactivated Thompsons in my collection is an early Model of 1928, which had been modified to semi auto only for civilian ownership and use, prior to the changes in the UK firearms act in 1988.

That's a very plausible reason indeed.

I can remember seeing a few s/a converted TSMG's for sale back in those heady pre-88 days in the UK.

Messers Cogswell and Harrison were the receivers of the crate from Karrachi. Box No 100 of 258 to be stored in the locked hold of the ship.

The box manufacturer is stamped in to the box at the end before the 1940 date but I cant make it out.

Interesting about the Cogswell & Harrison Cannon works address being Bollo Lane, Acton.....a road and area I used to know very well in my youth...!!

As I mentioned, while I know most people hear are only interested in original stuff, this guy in the UK make a not too bad reproduction of the cases, although the marks and stencilling may not be correct, as he probably thinks these boxes are US rather UK design.

See here....

http://www.wwiiboxes.co.uk/Weapon%20Related.htm

The only issue I can see from photo, will be trying to replace the clips used to secure the cleaning rod to the case lid?

True.

But, Cogswell & Harrison were one of the contractors for making the standard WW2 W^D binoculars. They also did a small contract run for the FS fighting knives, and perhaps are better known for making many of the bespoke and secretive clandestine equipment for the SOE.

Agree with MkVII about the furniture industry making chests.

The gunmaker associated with SOE is Wilkes Bros of Soho, London. They are mentioned in the official history of the SOE Arms Section written in 1945.

No mention of Cogswell & Harrison. However, this firm did much worthwhile work in reconditioning and repairing thousands of small arms for the war effort.

Is the E A S broad arrow stamp the Aussie marking?

I have a M1 butt stock with "Britiish" modifications the same stamping.

mAQYZM3l.jpg

6F91uXXl.jpg

2dUjJEkl.jpg

Looks like an Indian marking to me. The Mannlicher rifles mentioned in another post, even appear in the Indian Priced Vocabulary of Stores.

Regards

AlanD

True.

Agree with MkVII about the furniture industry making chests.

The gunmaker associated with SOE is Wilkes Bros of Soho, London. They are mentioned in the official history of the SOE Arms Section written in 1945.

No mention of Cogswell & Harrison. However, this firm did much worthwhile work in reconditioning and repairing thousands of small arms for the war effort.

Coswell & Harrison certainley made the special run of the McLacklin-Peskett Close Combat Weapon for the SOE, as well as a number of SOE derived 'push daggers' as examples exist in museum collections that are stamped with Cogswell & Harrison name.

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of the acronym 'ESA' with the Broad Arrow, over the last week or so, I have been trying to research further into the acronym with limited success.

The book I always forgot to refer to, which is full of information, is the Ian Skennerton, Small Arms Identification Series volume on the Thompson Sub-machine gun. In that book it says that the letter 'FR' refers to ‘Factory repair India’, but have found no other references to India.

Incidentally, the answer may be in another book published by Skennerton, 'The Broad Arrow - British and Empire Factory Production, proof, inspection, armourers, unit & issue markings'. But it is out of print and listed on Abebooks for $573, and on other sites for $1000. Fortunately, I have discovered that the 2nd edition of the book has been printed in Thailand, however, due to the Coronavirus, the stock is still in Thailand. So, sometime in the future when the book becomes available, it may shine further light on the acronym ‘ESA’.

Another link lists the 'Indian Broad Arrow', as an 'I' above the arrow.

A list ‘MOD Acronyms and Abbreviations’, that I found on line has ESA listed as ‘End Stage Assessment’, but I have been unable to find out what an ‘End stage assessment’ is, so still no further forward on that and I am not sure it would have been stamped on weapon stocks in the past.

Finally, note contractor No. 3 below, which may just be a coincidence, and I can't recall where I read this information now, but I made a note of it:

"A total of 63,051 Thompson Machine carbine transit chests were produced, by the following contractors:

1. Nichols & James produced 24,601 (including 48 contract overruns which the Ministry took anyway)
  2. Harris Lebus produced 17,000
  3. ESA produced 16,400
  4. India (Karachi) produced 5000"

Before anyone mentions it, I noted the listed production numbers do not add up to the total given of 63.051, but not my error, that was in the original text!

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps