How Many Thompsons?

I was wondering, and tried a search on this: Does anybody know if there was a fixed number of Thompson gunners assigned to a typical infantry squad in WW2? I know the bulk of the guys carried the M1 Garand; and there was the occasional BAR, I think 1 per squad. But what about our beloved Thompson?

I thought I'd ask, since I couldn't hunt it up anywhere else.

Ron

Hey Ron,

If I remember it correctly, the normal Infantry TO&E pretty much has only Officers and NCO's armed with Thompsons. However that was on a preference basis. The NCO or officer could carry a carbine, Garand, Thompson, or M3 depending upon availability and preference.

QUOTE (colt21a @ Sep 1 2004, 07:46 PM)
and if you rode inside a m-3 grant tank in the desert.joe gunn carried one.

take care,ron

Hey Ron.. the one in Sahara was an M-3 Lee.. the Grant was a British version with a different turret config..

Lee:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/did.panzer/silhouette%20pz/M3-Lee.jpg

Grant:

http://tanks2go.com/United_States/images/USgrant-1.jpg

See Tracie Hill's book, Thompson, The American Legend, starting on page 206 for a discussion that includes answers to this very question. The Airborne, by TO&E, carried many more Thompsons than other US infantry units.

The Thompson was very highly regarded by Airborne troopers, as exerpts from questionaires show in Mark Bando's book, 101st Airborne; The Screaming Eagles At Normandy.

Both books are excellent cover-to-cover reads!

Thanks for all the replies, fellas. I don't have Tracie's book, though. I had heard that most of the 101st & 82nd guys carried Thompsons or m3's. By the way, what is TO&E?

Of course, a good knee-slapper from The Respected One keeps things hopping here!

Thanks again,

Ron/Chicago

TO&E - Table of Organization and Equipment - if I remember correctly.

The most common firearm in both infantry and airborne was the revered M-1 Garand. But the airborne did have a higher ratio of Thompson's than the infantry. I know one airborne vets chose to carry an M-1 over a Thompson in Normandy (open fields/longer range fighting), and then took a Thompson to Holland cause he figured there'd be more house to house fighting. Usually the infantryman just used what was given to him.