New Old Parts

My 28 is still sick and before I send it out, I was thinking of replacing everything I can in it. My question is about ordering parts. I know that you can get used Savage parts, but how do you know they aren't worn out too? Bottom line, is there a good source for unused Thompson military parts, like springs, firing pin, etc? I know Sarco sells parts, but how reliable are they? Should I stay away from W.H. parts?

Sgt:

Stay away from WH parts. Many are not of spec.

First, I'd really want to know exactly what the problem is, before I just globally replaced parts. Could be something simple but easy to overlook. Has PK chimed in on this issue you are having?

I would think it virtually impossible to wear out a Thompson part, save for the springs, rocker, and maybe disconnector. Could be wrong about that!

We wary of unused parts. Could just be reblued to look new. I'd start with Doug R. And Phil. See the FAQ.

Thanks, Chris! Good points. I did email PK about it and he couldn't tell me anything until he gives it the once over. The problem is that the bolt doesn't always seat the round in the chamber. When it does seat, sometimes the firing pin doesn't make a deep enough indention to ignite the round. This was evident, when I looked at the backs of some spent rounds today. The ones that didn't fire were very slightly indented. I though maybe I could find something easy to replace, like the springs or hammer. So, I really need a good source for these.

The first thing (easiest & cheapest) I would do would be to replace the recoil spring. If that doesn't help, it couldn't hurt, then I would start to look at other areas. .02 FWIW. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

You didn't say who made the '28.

Possible causes to consider: If it is a WH, the feedramp may need work. If it is anything else (including WH), is the ammo in spec, or is it overlong reloads? It your main recoil spring correct? Try a Wolff spring. Is the front ring of the bolt face chipped where the cartridge rides up during feeding?

Is the chamber too deep? (this is a cause of light primer strikes, as can be a chamber too shallow).

In all honesty, the only things I can think of that may need replacement (rather than rework) are the spring, hammer, firing pin, and possibly the bolt if it is chipped.

Doug

Doug and rest of guys--

Forgive me for bringing my problem up again; don't blame you if you get tired seeing it. The gun is a Savage 28a1. I use the 220gr ammo, some stuff made in Africa I believe. Don't have the name in front of me. I didn't see any defects in the bolt face. In fact, I already replaced the actuator, bolt, buffer pilot, firing pin with used ones. I also tried an old recoil spring, but don't have a lot of faith in it. I don't know how to measure the chamber depth or what it's specs would be. Does the gun store sell "go" "no-go" gauges for the military Thomspons, or is there another way to check it? Would light primer strikes be caused if the round does not fully chamber? How can you tell if a feed ramp needs work?

Yea, I know that the best thing would probably be to send it out, but it would be nice to learn how to diagnose this problem. At least I'll give it a whirl, with all your kind help.

Phil-- I will email you about some parts shortly. Thanks

Try different ammo. You didn't clarify if all you used was overseas stuff or other. If it doesn't run with Winchester white box and a new recoil spring, you may have a chamber issue.

is this problem something that cropped up recent, or was it always there?

Doug

The problem has been there since I got the gun. I did try other ammo on one occasion. It seemed to work better. I'll take your advice and try some Winchester white box, with a new spring and see what happens.

Maybe this is no help, but I had a "no chamber" problem too. It turns out that when I replaced the recoil spring after its first cleaning (by me), I bent the damn thing where the bolt did not move smoothly and hence, did not chamber rounds properly. When I took the spring off the rod, it was sooo bent that it did not even slide off well. Obvious item, but it screwed me up for awhile. The trick for me is to compress the spring enough prior to reinsertion that I do not bend it. I think a weak recoil spring may do the same thing. Just some suggestions.

Another thought: hogged out buffer pilot hole in back of receiver. That can cause the pilot to move excessively side to side causing problems. Solutions: fix receiver (probaly ideal, but often not practical), or have new pilot made up with larger rear protrusion to fit the hole better, or have an existing pilot built up in the reciever area to fit the hole.

My fix was one of those Gunmachines telescoping pilots.

Doug

Good suggestions all around. I'll get a spring on order this week. Doug-- The buffer pilot does have some side to side movement, but I'm not sure what's normal. The loose pilot causes the spring to sit at a slight angle to the actuator rear hole. Is that side to side movement enough to cause the round to feed improperly?

BA--

I have a military production, 1928a1 Savage. Judging from the barrel, I'd say its been fired a lot. According to the paperwork, It's had two owners before me, not including its service in the military. When I got it, the buffer was completely obliterated. I installed a new one and took it out for a spin. This is where I am today.

Hey man, this is just a though, I fired a span of

230 gr round nose cast bullets in my 28 a couple

years ago and it started the same thing. I found

that the cast bullets were leaving a small deposit

of lead at the base of the chamber. After several

hundred rounds it added up enough to not let the

round seat to the bottom of the chamber, in turn

the firing pin hammer would not get a good hard

hit on the firing pin because the bolt stopped

short. I found the lead with a strong light. I made

a probe/scraper out of a womans hat pin and

CAREFULLY got the lead out with out scratching the

chamber. Now I never shoot cast in my Thompson.

Just a kinda sounds like a short chamber and

bolt not going fully home.

Yours won't run fully and mine won't stop, if

we could put them together we would have a

fine one. Ha Ha

Hope I helped a little.

BA

BA--

That did help. I'll take it apart tonight and see what's in there. There's not telling what was shot through that gun. I cleaned a lot of chamber debri the first time around, but didn't to look for the harder materials in there. Your description fits exactly what its doing. the indentions on the primer are intermittently shallow, which would be caused it the bolt didn't travel fully.

Hey sarg,

The more and more you look at your problem, it does point to both the spring and the ammo. The Thompson is, after all, a simple blow back principal gun and if the ammo is weak, or the spring is weak, the dam thing will not cycle properly.

Doug Richardson has all the parts you would ever need for you 28.

A year back I purcased a Savage 28 and when it arrived, every dam part inside the receiver was missing. I was able to get a complete set from Doug.

Kind wishes

Hope this is of some help.