Loading Thompson Mag Survey?

If your serious and speed really matters get a shooter frame to use at the matches and open up the mag channel opening much like you would a mag well on a hand gun.

Edited by sherman3

Hey I am serious. It has been some years ago but I took home a second place medal overall at Tracie's shoot with a Savage M1. My suggestion on the frame would help with fast mag changes. Sorry if I offended you. Sherman

If your serious and speed really matters get a shooter frame to use at the matches and open up the mag channel opening much like you would a mag well on a hand gun.

Unfortunately, even shooter grade frames are relatively expensive. One could try going the other direction and put a bevel/chamfer on the top outer edges of the rail on the mag. Only do so on a couple shooter grade mags to see if/how much it helps.

Disclaimer: I'm not a competitive shooter - recreational only, so I have no concern with rapid mag changes.

MHO, YMMV, enjoy safe shooting times, etc.

I agree with Merry Ploughboy. Bevel the top edge of the mag spine gives a small edge without destroying a lower receiver.

As for changes, use your left hand with left thumb extended to trip the mag catch for both removal and insertion.

If you intend to drop the mag, still hit it with the left thumb grabbing and yanking down with a couple fingers as you hold the newmag firmly, then slide that up the track and seat it with a light push of your thumb on the mag catch.

Practice makes fast and flawless

I heard Tom Hanks practiced his mag change (near the middle of Saving Private Ryan) for a week to get that down to a quick change out....watch that a few times and practice a lot more.....good method!

Hey I am serious. It has been some years ago but I took home a second place medal overall at Tracie's shoot with a Savage M1. My suggestion on the frame would help with fast mag changes. Sorry if I offended you. Sherman

No problem, I'm good. Thought you were busting chops...LOL

I agree with Merry Ploughboy. Bevel the top edge of the mag spine gives a small edge without destroying a lower receiver.

As for changes, use your left hand with left thumb extended to trip the mag catch for both removal and insertion.

If you intend to drop the mag, still hit it with the left thumb grabbing and yanking down with a couple fingers as you hold the newmag firmly, then slide that up the track and seat it with a light push of your thumb on the mag catch.

Practice makes fast and flawless

I heard Tom Hanks practiced his mag change (near the middle of Saving Private Ryan) for a week to get that down to a quick change out....watch that a few times and practice a lot more.....good method!

I'll gladly watch that movie again and drop the mags on the ground.......BLASPHEMY.......lol

If you are doing fast mag changes then ugly scratches small ding mags would be the ticket. I do it with my AR Glock for self defense practice and training etc. practice is key. If you are training and putting rounds down range you are dropping mags I do. So I will get me some ugly mags and try this as I am curious now.

If you are doing fast mag changes then ugly scratches small ding mags would be the ticket. I do it with my AR Glock for self defense practice and training etc. practice is key. If you are training and putting rounds down range you are dropping mags I do. So I will get me some ugly mags and try this as I am curious now.

Thompson mags don't grow on trees so I'm not one to drop them on the ground.

Thompson mags don't grow on trees so I'm not one to drop them on the ground.

i carry a large pouch off my left hip...in my family we call it the garbage can...we toss out empties into it. large enough for a couple of drums if needed.....toss a mag on the concrete feed lips first and you lost a mag

Practice, practice, etc... And - I make sure I tip the gun over and visually watch the mag go in. Much faster than trying to slam it up with no visual reference.

Get some shooter mags - you will be dropping them on the ground in most subgun matches I have seen.

Also - I load 28 or so in each mag. I have had one stick at 30 rounds. Of course it depends on what the match you are shooting demands - sometime fewer but more accurate shots wins matches.

The old adage is slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Practice slow and exactly correct every time, and build the "mind/muscle memory". The suggestions above are all good, if you want to "compete". in reality, I am not sure how many tenths of a second mag changes will save you, but being consistent will help. Also, Shooting techniques may help shave time such as keeping the Weapon indexed on the target while changing mags, changing mags before you are dry ( bolt open) and other Tactic-cool stuff. These may or may not be allowed by the range course of fire. If you are going to worry about those tenths of a second, pick up a trigger frame to modify or get some blaster mags to modify. I have a box of crappy looking pitted and or worn 30 Rd SMG mags that I use for "shooters". they get dropped, sweated on, and run through the ultrasonic cleaner at the end of the day They all work fine, and those are the kind you want to tweak and use for competitive shooting. I save the new looking pretty ones for "someday". Last time I bought the crappy ones off a guy on GB for like $8 ea. dis-assembled, cleaned and tested. They are not pretty but they work, and I don't have to feel bad about dropping them or using sweaty hands, or even other people using them . We shoot a LOT of the Thompsons, and do not compete - just blast stuff Trophy wife loves the drum dumps on "appliances".

DSC00076.JPG

Edited by MG08

I reload it like an AK, while holding the full mag slightly higher than the empty, grab the empty and depress the mag release, remove empty mag and insert new mag, stow empty mag. Start at around 3:35 in the video for a generalized method.

Usually you would be running and gunning in a grass or dirt base.

Dropping a mag (even a nice one!) On soft ground is not going to hurt the thing one bit.

If you're on pavement, drop it on your extended foot.

Of course, you can always add moleskin slam-pads or rubber bases.

Also, it doesnt seem to matter as much when you have a couple hundred mags stashed away!!

Edited by john