Photo

Invitation to the MOD Pattern Room in Leeds.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maxfaxdude

maxfaxdude

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:07 PM

I received an unsolicited invitation from a big machinegun collector/dealer in the Midwest U.S. to go visit the MOD Pattern Room in Leeds.  Has anyone here been there?  

Edited by maxfaxdude, 17 May 2019 - 10:08 PM.

#2 Black River Militaria CII

Black River Militaria CII

Industry Expert

• Regular Group
  • 800 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:26 AM

You would be a fool to not go it you have the time and resources and have even the slightest interest in MGs. The idea behind that collection showed brilliant foresight and it is one of the most comprehensive collections of MGs in the world and beautifully displayed. To spend some time there is a rare privilege. I met Herb Woodend, longtime director of the museum at its previous location, having met him on one of his trips to the US and regret not having made the effort to go and visit it when he was there. Quite a few people have been there for book research purposes and other reasons and have raved about the expereince.

#3 maxfaxdude

maxfaxdude

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:49 PM

You would be a fool to not go it you have the time and resources and have even the slightest interest in MGs. The idea behind that collection showed brilliant foresight and it is one of the most comprehensive collections of MGs in the world and beautifully displayed. To spend some time there is a rare privilege. I met Herb Woodend, longtime director of the museum at its previous location, having met him on one of his trips to the US and regret not having made the effort to go and visit it when he was there. Quite a few people have been there for book research purposes and other reasons and have raved about the expereince.

Thank you for the information.  Looks like I'll get to meet John Cross there as well. 

#4 michaelkih

michaelkih

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 800 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:10 AM

How the heck do you get invited??? Thats awesome man. You gotta go!

#5 maxfaxdude

maxfaxdude

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:01 AM

How the heck do you get invited??? Thats awesome man. You gotta go!

He just invited me.  It looks like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity - so I'll definitely be going.