MP40 Serial Number

I have half a dozen MP40s here and thought I'd see if there was one that had a similar problem and there is one with an 'a' suffix that is missing the right side of the loop. The stamp was clearly tilted heavily to the left when it was struck leaving a heavy impression on the left of the letter and no impression on the right of the letter. The little whisker leading into the cursive "a" on the left is there in the same manner as the one one yours, so I believe it is an "a". FWIW Edited by Black River Militaria CII

Is it a "C"?

edit: It is whatever letter the paperwork says it is if the letter suffix is included in the registration

Not necessarily, many German MGs have no suffix showing on the paperwork. I currently have a number of German machine guns with no suffix on the F4, the oldest being from 1986 with the most recent being 2006. Those missing a suffix will mostly likely be updated in future transfers.

Looks like a small Sutterlin script c, or maybe it's an a.

My bnz 41 MP40's serial number has a small script f. Or maybe it's a j or l. It really doesn't matter since the gun was registered during the '68 amnesty by using the numerics in the serial number only. The letter suffix would have mattered only if another MP40 with the same serial number had already been registered.

Sorry to say, but if there's no BATF registration for that bnz 41, it'll have to be surrendered or cut and turned into a parts kit. That's a shame as it's a nice looking piece, virtually identical to mine, just made a little earlier. IMHO, the bnz MP40s were of the best quality.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was possibly an "e". Years ago, we used to have a "safety inspection" on handguns when registering in Michigan. It was a joke as I usually had to show them how to operate my collectible guns. Now we just register and send in the forms ourselves.

The state had a published document of German letters to help identify the suffixes on them. Some are really hard to make out and the suggestion of looking at other stamps is a good one.

I even received a clarification letter from the when one Luger was registered to confirm the suffix.

Ron

Edited by ron_brock

• 2 months later...