J.c. Devine Auction

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got all 3 of the Colt 1921As. I got NAC5 cheap. I am not sure exactly, but I think I paid just $8,000 + fee for it. I also got the pimp gun, and the other one. I think in the $16 to $18 range. Not sure exactly because I did not realize I was winning them because the woman bidding for me said "Ok, that one went for" instead of "You got that one for" So I thought someone else got them, and I got more agressive on each gun. In the end, I got them all. Funny. And then she had to hangup to bid for someone else, so I could not rehash with her what I paid exactly, but I remember it being pretty reasonable. Edited by rsilvers

Seriously, wow if you are not joking with us, you are my hero!

I'm new to the class 3 world and would like to buy a Virginia State Police Thompson at some point. Both my Dad and father in law were VASP troopers.

Snipershot1944@yahoo.com

Oh, that is the one you are talking about. I am not exactly sure because I did not realize I was the one who bought it at first. It was hard to tell over the phone. I think I paid in the $15,000 to $18,000 range plus the 15% auction fee. So almost $20,000. Seems to have a patch of rust on it. They call it "plum brown." Where I come from, we call it "rust."

So maybe lots of people did not try to bid because they assumed they would be stupidly overpriced. It was my first auction. I was afraid I would scratch my nose at the wrong time and buy some heap of a gun by accident.

A serial number 1 Winchester went for $96,000.

Mr. Silvers

Please pardon this question, but are you sure, absolutely certain that you got those guns? There seems to have been a bit of confusion during the auction.

None of my business really, just curious.

Sniper

I did not bid in person. The phone bidder did it for me, and therefore I am not certain of the result. She said I got those guns but I guess I won't be certain until they call me to get the money. She hung up right after before I could recap. It went SO fast but still I would say 5 to 10 minutes for the Thompsons.

I am pretty sure he gave about 5 seconds and there were no more bids. It seemed like he waited long enough to give everyone a chance. In any case, I told my phone bidder to go much higher. I would have gone over $20 on most of them.

PhilOhio -- the auction went very fast. I got the feeling that if I hesitated even 2 seconds I would miss a gun -- so I did not. I told my bidder a very high limit, and she was yelling it out in $1000 increments. There was certainly no time to ask her questions about what was happening because if she took her focus of screeming out bids she would not have time to get the bid in. It sounded like the NYC stock trading floor from my end of the phone. There is no reason to suspect fraud. Edited by rsilvers

PhilOhio -- You are saying Devine used the information that TD was willing to go to $10,500 and took advantage of that knowledge to award me the gun for $8,000?

It sounds like some of the phone bidders just slipped up. Far more likely than they would want to sell a gun for less money.

Phil Ohio has a good point here. We need to know what really happened.

Are these results posted anywhere? Rather than word of mouth?

And - there is a good chance of some kind of deliberate manipulation of the bidders to get more money - and maybe it backfired on Devine! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

When the real answers come in, please update all of us!

I posted the details of my conversation with Joe C. Devine regarding yesterday's auction earlier but thought better of it. If those members of the board who bid on items would like to know what I learned, feel free to email me at samdsneadXXX@yahoo.com (remove the XXX).

Sam

45fan,

Your self-deleted comments should be posted here since it is a first hand account of how Devine treats the public who dare question his practises. Why put it on a need to know basis?

This is certainly a new wrinkle for auctions were the auctioneer attempts to get the least amount of money for items up for bid. Judging the condition of some of the Thompson's on consignment for bidding, it appears that Devine's standards for admission are rather low. This may be why sellers are attracted to Devine's overly optimistic catalog appraisals regarding condition and value.

How is it that Robert Silvers believes he was successful in three bids, while several other phone bidders couldn't get to first base on any item, even if their bids were higher?

According to Devine's catalog, a potential bidder would first have to register with Devine by providing bank accounts, or credit card information. Other than being at the auction in person, or bidding over the phone, one could submit bids earlier through snail mail, fax or email. If there is a written record of these bids, and there is, and they exceeded the bids accepted by the auctioner, Devine is faced with an interesting dilema.

But as far as more "reasonable" prices being realized at this latest Devine auction, the NAC gun, chrome gun, and the way over exaggerated 95% 1921A gun, were never going to pull down record prices anyway. If Devine allowed the owners of the Navy Colt's to pull their guns from a "non reserve" auction because they didn't like the low opening bids, then the next auction Devine will be associated with will be his own estate sale.

45fan, I totally agree with Arthur, you should post any and all information you have, concerning the way Devine auctioneers treat their bidders. I read your earlier post, but could not respond until now. I wouldn't bid on anything they have up at auction, ever, based on what I read. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif It's not surprising that Mr. Devine went to Boston College. It seems that he and John Kerry share, not only that, but also a love of foul language and intolerable arrogance. Read between the lines, guys!!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Regards, Walter

P.S. I am not sure about illegalities, but if there is a paper trail, one might wish to have an attorney look into the matter. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif