Govt. Shutdown Form 3 Efiles?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 ron_brock

ron_brock

Respected Member

• 1925 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:48 PM

Just submit and deal with the wait if you want to play the game. Think of those shelling out tens of thousands and waiting a year +. Submit form 4 and forget about it for a year. Dont spend time calling NFA every week asking about status. Patience is virtue. This is not an instant gratification niche of our hobby.

Ron

#22 ppgcowboy

ppgcowboy

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Guns, aviation, didgeridoo, banjo, metal detecting.

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:11 AM

So youd rather wait until 2020 because the wait might be less? But your waiting another year?

I think the recent up turn is from the 10,000 silencer co deal from July 2018

It should come down a bit in 3 months.

But what will be the next thing to increase it ?

Just expect 9 months

Might be 6. Might.be 12

Think I pretty well already explained my thinking

Either way you're waiting. Each day you wake up, your waiting. Doesn't matter when you put it in. So you might as well start getting annoyed.

#23 The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger

Respected Member

• Board Donor
  • 1087 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:36 AM

Exactly.  Waiting a year in hopes that will wait less than a year is fruitless.  Even if transfer time is 3 months by then (it won't be) you are at 15 months the day you submit. The math just doesn't work.  :huh:

Edited by The Lone Ranger, 08 February 2019 - 08:36 AM.

#24 StrangeRanger

StrangeRanger

• Regular Group
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:11 AM

I called BATFE yesterday to do a status check on a F4 filed last August.  They are no longer quoting 7 months or any other time frame.  They are in a bit of disarray from the shutdown and scrambling to get running again.  I asked about F3 e-files and they said that they are prioritizing them at the moment (I assume to the detriment of processing other forms) in order to clear that queue while they get the other parts of their organization functioning.

#25 huggytree

huggytree

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2694 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, Guns, Work

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:50 PM

you just lost 6 weeks..so what was once 7 months is now 8.5 minimum

due to the silencer co july 2018 give away deal its only going up further!!!....once its past august 2018 it should start coming back down again...might get back to 1 year again

#26 Petroleum 1

Petroleum 1

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 877 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:25 PM

I have a June 19th which would have been getting close right now before the shut down. I have no idea what to expect at this point.

#27 MisterB

MisterB

• Regular Group
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:13 PM

Exactly.  Waiting a year in hopes that will wait less than a year is fruitless.  Even if transfer time is 3 months by then (it won't be) you are at 15 months the day you submit. The math just doesn't work.  :huh:

This isn't a question math can answer (unless the answer was that current wait times are back to normal). It's a psychological mindset. Think about it... If I have a certain amount of money budgeted for this year for a can, but the wait times are annoyingly long due to the silencerco influx and government shutdown, why not take that same money and get something else on my want list, like a nice WWI/WWII S&W m1917 revolver? I can enjoy it this year and not even think about and get annoyed with how long my can is taking. Then next year I budget for a can again and take a look at wait times. If things look normal, I place an order. Everybody is different. This approach would keep me less annoyed. Your mileage may vary. I just wanted to know how times are looking now and what they are looking like they could be. I have my answer

#28 huggytree

huggytree

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2694 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, Guns, Work

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:46 PM

there is no normal anymore...normal is 7-12 months....next year it could be 2 years

i do like the idea of the 1917 revolver though!...if you find a good one and dont want it let me know!

#29 Petroleum 1

Petroleum 1

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 877 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:17 AM

Someone posted on another forum they just received a mid April stamp. Going by that my mid June should be about 2 months away.

#30 Speeddemon02

Speeddemon02

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Trucks, Games, and Woodworking

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:39 PM

I liked the idea that was posted some time ago to get something everything month.  Adjust that to one every quarter and after some time you stop worrying unless of course there is a shutdown and have to start all over again.

#31 MisterB

MisterB

• Regular Group
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:25 PM

there is no normal anymore...normal is 7-12 months....next year it could be 2 years

i do like the idea of the 1917 revolver though!...if you find a good one and dont want it let me know!

I found a very nice one on GunBroker. There are others available on there

Edited by MisterB, 16 February 2019 - 10:13 PM.

#32 StrangeRanger

StrangeRanger

• Regular Group
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:25 AM

Just got word that the e-filed F3 for my Uzi was approved and it's in transit to my SOT.  Filed 9 January, approved 11 February so 33 days, a big chunk of which was shutdown.  Called BATFE to check on a pending form 4 which was filed at the beginning of Aug and without the shutdown would have been coming through in the next few weeks.  They had nothing to offer and could not quote a time frame.

EDIT:

I also asked about transfer times from an individual owner to an SOT and was told that they are the same as individual-to-individual times.  This totally contradicts my recent experience that transfers to an SOT run around 2 months.  Was the guy I talked to wrong or has something changed?  Anyone know?

Edited by StrangeRanger, 13 February 2019 - 07:34 AM.

#33 Robert Henley

Robert Henley

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 888 posts
  • Interests:NRA Life Benefactor
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida
    The American Thompson Association

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:04 AM

My NFA item efiled Form 3 on 12/22/18 and approved 2/20/19--60 days.  Aside from the government shutdown, which accomplished absolutely nothing, the model of my item was incorrect in the efile system (although the prior paper forms were all correct), so this had to be corrected.  The selling dealer told me BATF input the wrong model in the efile system.  I always check the form the item transferred in on, and everything was correct in this instance.  Any efile experts know how what gets put in the efile system is correct, just for my future understanding.  In other words, how does inputting information into efile system get done and by who?

Robert