Schwarzlose MG 07/24

• 2 weeks later...

The waterjacket has been lengthened as is evident by the 4” addition in the center of the jacket. These Schwarzlose were all Austrian made 07/12 s converted to 7.92 from the original 8x50r Mann. The guns that came to the US as “kits”, meaning that the receivers were cut into four parts, rendering the “non-guns”. The internals appeared to be from the Czech M 24s and the barrels were a mix of FN made, composite rhat appeared to have been made using other MGS barrels, some were made by Cugor, in Romania. The most interesting part was that the feedway that is milled into the bottom of the receiver had not been reconfigured to Feefo the 7.92 round which is a very different shape and length from the 8x50. Plus themouth of the feed was slightly too short to feed the 7.92 without catching. Clearly the arsenal that went to the trouble to do the jacket work either did nor know what they were doing or the project was terminated. The guns will not function due the failure to modify the parts that required alteration. How do I know this? I swapped the Romanian converted jacket onto a live 07/12, installed the internals and tried to make it work. No way that it would function with the 8x50 feedway. I welded up the feedway and configured it to fit the 7.92 round and opened up the mouth of the feed under the receiver and then it ran fine.

Finding the 7.92 feed wheel will be difficult, but every once in a while a complete set of parts shows up for sale. Export of MG parts from the US is extremely difficult but can be done by a licensed exporter which is expensive. It takes many months for the permitting and chances are that it will not be permitted. If someone in the US hasthe parts for sale best thing to is to come to the US and pick them up yourself.

• 2 weeks later...