1927a1 Rear Sight Problems

Hi everyone.I have been enjoying the board for a while,but had not yet posted.You guys are a great source of info.and supreme entertainment.I currently own a reising mod. 50 (us poor guys Thompson!),and an ailing Kahr 1927a1 semi with an aluminum receiver.The gun actually runs pretty well(about 3500 rds. so far),but I have had the rear sight fall off so many times,that I feel I should just throw it own the ground as soon as I get to the range,and save myself the trouble!.I tried locktite without success,and now the threads in the receiver are worn.I am afraid to just rebore and thread larger holes for fear of repeating the problem.PK or anyone have some advice for me???

Harry

I think that the Kahr 27A1 can be fitted with rivits (like a 28 FA has.) They are much more reliable than the screwws.

PK can probably do this, or a good local gunsmith.

I am sure others will answer.

Norm

Lionhart,

I forgot to mention I tried Threadlocker(the black stuff) by locktite.It did last thru two range sessions,but gave up the ghost.I am thinking it must be the soft aluminum that is the problem.Thanks for the imput though.

Norm,

That might just work.

Harry

REISINGSTAR,

I hope the rivits work.

You are not alone, this seems to be one of the biggest problems with the Kahr 27A1.

Norm

PS: The Reising is a damn fine gun! To bad there are no drums for it!

Philohio,

Aluminum rivets-good idea-probably the combo of the aluminum receiver and steel screws was not such a hot design thought-BUT a REISING DRUM-now that is a stroke of GENIUS-maybe if the assault weapons ban dies someone might market those-put me down for a dozen!!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

When you set the rivets, do you hammer the rivets from inside the receiver? If so, is there a special anvil that holds against your lyman sight? Not sure if I want to attempt this on my Savage, but I thought I'd ask.

Tooling will work the same with either steel or aluminum rivets. If done properly, the rivets are not hammered; this tends to only upsets the ends. They need to be squeezed from both sides simultaneously to achieve an overall upset that will hold indefinitely. This requires a press and custom tooling to accomplish and is by far superior, IMO.

The fit of the rivet is of critical importance as well as the alloy of the material used (all steel ain’t suitable for rivets, neither is any old aluminum). If the holes have become distorted, they need to be unified and custom rivets made to a proper fit in order to guarantee success.

PHILOHIO&SECONDAMMENDMENT,NORM,&PK,

Thank you for taking the time to give me advice.What I have learned is that I need "professional help"!I guess owning a Kahr Arms thompson and being a perfectionist might be mutually exclusive.I'll settle for not having to hunt for my sight after every 30 rd. mag!!