Good evenings everyone,

I've been trying to find some concrete information on the 1927 West Hurley models in general versus current Kahr and would appreciate anything you guys can tell me.

In particular though, a late production West Hurley has crossed my path for a relatively cheap price, but I don't know if it would be more trouble than it's worth. Can anyone speak to that period's quality? If I need to then I'm fine sending it to a gunsmith, but I don't want a rifle that will consistently break down on me.

Thanks for any info

While most Kahr Thompson's need some tweaking, (unless you're very lucky) compared to the West Hurley's I have seen they are vastly improved. The WH's I have owned were rougher inside and out, and we had one come for some smith work that the mag well had not been properly milled out. This is just based on my experiences, which is a total of 4 guns of WH manufacture .... None were as good as my Kahr, and my Kahr wasn't all that good in the beginning.

Given that WH guns are so hit or miss, I wouldn't buy one without running several boxes of ammo through it to see how that particular one works.

If it runs like crap, then set your price accordingly. If you're going to have to pay somebody $200 + shipping to make it run right, then maybe $600 is too much. You'll be in it for $800 for a used gun while several of the kahr models run between $900-1000 new.

Edited by giantpune