Anyone See The Thompson On Mythbusters?

Can't remember if it was on Wed. or last night, but the mythbusters on Discovery channel were testing to see if you could really "blow someone off their feet" with a gun, like they do in the movies anyways. They got a hog carcass and hung it up on this contraption that was supposed to release when it was hit hard enough, thus "blowing it away". I was sick in bed watching this, so I don't remember the first gun they used but it was a hand gun. With no movement from the carcass, they decided to step it up a bit and pulled out an M1A1 tommy. They fired a few single shots but still nothing, so they pulled out a .44 magnum. Still with no results, they then got an M16, the tommy, and an MP5 variant and went full auto with all 3 at the same time. Nothing but lots of noise, but the carcass did bump arpund a little. At that point I passed out from the medication I was taking (damn flu!) so I didn't get to see if they actually blew anything away.

I saw that show. I find it refreshing that they're trying to change incorrect popular conceptions of things.

Nothing in a war movie is like for real, anyway.

In real modern warfare, if you're doing everything right, all you'd see is a bush moving. Man, that makes for crummy drama.

I've watched a few folks die during my lifetime. Saw one take about 10 rounds of 7.62 once. Trust me, folks don't go down like they do in the movies. The also don't fall like a sack of potatoes either. In real life, you couldn't re-create that without breaking some choice bones.

I once saw something on some video channel, making a music video, where some guy was getting "shot" and the guy coaching him talked about taking the hit in the shoulder, and how hed' rock back from that point, pivoting in mid air then falling backward.

What crap. The twitch a little, have a very surprised look on their face, then go down like a marionette with the strings cut.

Good post! I caught that episode and very much enjoyed that firepower display. There's nothing like seeing nerds with Thompsons. I remember seeing some old war reels of people being executed. They seemed to just drop. I guess it depends on where you get it.

"The also don't fall like a sack of potatoes either"

I din't know about that.... watch the beach landings on the History Channel. On beach landings and you see the poor guys, if they make it out of the water, running one second and then drop into a lifeless lump the next. The one thing I do know is that Newton's third law makes it hard for a shoulder, or hand held weapon, to knock someone back head over heels..... If you are moving backwards and you have muscles contracting maybe it can appear that way, but the laws of physics is pretty much against you....

Did you see the guy in Iraq in the street with an RPG get hosed by the M249? There is a video around the net on it.

Was in a one legged nealing position, got hit in the leg/hip, then just sat down. Took a strafe to the body, and fell over. Nothing dramatic. You never knew he was taking rounds.

Ken

I thought the Mythbusters were going to confirm the myth that Thompson can sell for more than $20K http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I missed that particular episode. I will have to yell at my wife for not setting up the Tivo.

TNKEN, you mean the one in my video that "I" knocked out! That was so good I put it in the video. I wish I knew what the background voices were saying. Maybe something like, "Hey stupid, they can see you". Or "Tell Allah I said hello when you get there!"

Don't mess with the M16 video