Success! (long)

Well, Colt 1921a Thompson serial number 1417 is finally in my posession. It took me a year to find it, and acquire it, but the effort was worthwhile.

For the record, my Dad is a retired Virginia State Policeman, and we were talking a year or so ago, about my wanting to add a few class III weapons to the collection. He told me that I should track down the thompson that belonged to his friend and fellow Trooper from the 1950's/1960's, Jay. Dad said that Jay carried the Thompson as a personal backup weapon in the trunk of his police car throughout his career. The used it on occasion when there was a coal strike or when in a tight spot.

It took me 3-months but I finally found that Jay had died and passed it to a son. The son finally agreed to sell the all matching weapon, in about 90% condition with original four mags, oiler and FBI case about four months ago. It's in pretty nice shape. I still need to clean it up, but will post photos in a couple of weeks.

The FBI knew of the weapon and tried to catch Jay with it, and he "donated" it to a local PD to hold for him for awhile. Then he registered it in 1968. Best I can tell, Jay and his family owned the Thompson for about 60 years or more. It probably came to the Coalfields of Southwest Virginia in the 20's when the miners were trying to organize a union and the mines brought in heavily armed security people. I'm probably the 3rd or 4th person to own it.

The FBI case is maker marked KC Books Trunk Co. Kansas City and is black leather? with a blue velvet lining. Anybody ever see this maker case before?

Anyway, I'm very happy and very appreciative of the folks who helped me ifentify it.

Snipershot http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

bought a few books trunk cases from the late bob miller collection out of texas..they are a nice case..

glad to hear you finally won "the quest"

clean it up.run a drum through it.{clean it again}and grease it away!!take care,ron

I grew up in Tazwell County, family is from Lee County. I picked up the TSMG in Scott Co. The Thompson was carried by the "Lee County Snake Patrol" of the 1940's. If you are from Appalachia, you'll understand.

Now I live at the other end of I-81 in Virginia.

Sniper

Yep, understand. Worked for the VIrginia Game Commission and took care of Clinch Mountain WMA and Big Tumbling Creek/Little Tumbling Creek, and know Tazewell well. Boss was Charlie Peery, if you knew him.

Worked for a large law firm in Abingdon, and got involved in lots of coal stuff, in particular the strike of 1989/90. The UMWA is a little skewed.

Congrats on the find.

Ken

Several years ago I purchased a 1921ac from the Butte PD - this gun had been given to them by the Anaconda mining company - It was in a Brooks Trunk case, police style If you send me your E mail site I will send a photo of the label to see if it matches yours.

Congrats on the 21, that's great that it has the sentimental connection. Haven't seen him post on this board lately, but didn't Robert Silvers get a VSP Thompson at auction within the past year?

Sorry for the thread hijack, but wanted to say hello to my fellow Virginians and to Ken. My brother in law lives in Bristol, VA. Got him hooked on MGs, but he rarely makes it to Richmond. Do you know of any public ranges near Bristol that would allow full auto fire?

Thanks.

I actually live in the upper Shenandoah Valley, about 300 miles from Bristol. Used to be from down that way, and my Dad worked in VSP Division IV, headquartered in Wythville. for years. They got the tough jobs when there were coal strikes, stills to bust, etc.

Rob Silvers did indeed get a VSP M1921 last year or early this year from Devine. I have photos and it is a really nice weapon. I hate to sound like sour grapes, but while the VSP guns would be really nice to have, they stayed in Richmond at the Academy while the one I bought was carried around in the trunk of various police cars through the years. Dad and his co-workers would fire the VSP guns annually at basic retraining school, and they were then cleaned and put away till next class came through. It would be wonderful to own an actual department weapon, but for now, I'll have to be satisfied with the one owned by a Trooper as a personal backup weapon.

I plan to fire it at a friend's private range in a week or so. It's missing the buffer, and John Appleton is supposed to have one for me next time I'm in his shop.

BTW, John said that my 21 has had about 500 rounds or less through it and he graded it around 95% condition.

Life is good.

Sniper

• Upvote 1