Doug Richardson Update

whos paying the taxes on the malibu prop.? whos paying the rent on chatsworth shop ? perhaps dougs new wife is the one in control. check this out, with doug almost blind she must control the money and he has no idea whats going on, ive seen this situation with an old guy with new wife, just sayn

This thread is starting to get very Inappropriate. People make mistakes, Doug is a living legend that has done so much for the Thompson community and to talk about him like people are is unacceptable.

Hes old and blind and also has a new wife.

1. Doesnt mean he purposely stole 400 dollars from you

2. Doesnt mean his new wife is stealing from him

Have some respect I think hes earned atleast that much

whos paying the taxes on the malibu prop.? whos paying the rent on chatsworth shop ? perhaps dougs new wife is the one in control. check this out, with doug almost blind she must control the money and he has no idea whats going on, ive seen this situation with an old guy with new wife, just sayn

Don't know Doug and never done business with him. I was planing a purchase. I believe I will hold off. One thing puzzles me if you have the means to hang out in Belize you should have the means to provide refunds to people who request them due to excessive wait times. Just a thought.

I met Doug and his wife at his Malibu factory/shop/home about 25 years ago. I've purchased 2 dummy receivers, myriad small parts, and multiple books from him. One receiver was in stock (due to a cancellation). He called me about the opportunity and shipped it immediately. The other took 8 months. Now his life is a lot more complicated. Losing one's physical sharpness, home, and spouse - all in a comparatively short time - makes shipping out a bolt to Billy in Brooklyn less of a priority. Is Doug an honorably guy with a wealth of knowledge and high-quality products? Yes. Given his situation, is he able to maintain his business in a professional manner? Probably not and no more. I like to support our community (I've purchased an equal number of receivers from Phil Ord.) But clearly Doug no longer has the capacities (in any sense) to provide the services he once did.

I have tried to suppress my urge to post in this thread, but i feel i need to warn anyone considering purchasing anything from this guy my dealings with, and the entire D. Richardson experience ...."Difficult" doesn't even cover him....He was the most abrasive , arrogant condescending man i ever attempted to do business with...His abrasiveness was only surpassed by the excuses he provided for not being able to deliver the product.....I ignorantly waited 7 years for him to deliver one of his display receivers and finally i got tired of the excuses so i demanded a refund of my deposit, he then had the nerve of accusing me of extortion tactics when i had to repeatedly call him and "remind" him that i still had not received my deposit refund from him.

I finally wised up and purchased one of Mr. Bowers excellent display receivers and it was delivered in a matter of weeks....NOT years or decades.

Guys, if you can find a way to do it, save this thread. On your 82nd birthday, pull it up and read it. Ya know, move on...

Bob D

Well heck, I guess I should be honored to lose $424 to Doug! He seems to be some kind of saint or savior to certain people. If he's 82, blind, and can board a plane to Belize (don't forget about arranging the tickets, booking taxis, checking in and getting to the gate),- he's got people helping him. He had someone list his items on gunbroker before he took off. If he's so sickly, he should not be advertising items for sale and arranging business deals. When I asked him to refund me, he said there are no resources in Belize. We all know that's an untrue statement. If he's got a phone, he can refund me. He's a very wealthy man who has a lot of resources to get around like that, and live the lifestyle that he lives. The same people helping him could help him to refund the money that he cashed nearly 120 days ago. Let's not overthink this. It's a business transaction and he has not completed his end after 4 months. There seems to be so many excuses being made. Anyone who sent that kind of money for an item would be a little concerned after 4 months. Especially since he was calling me nearly daily up until he cashed my check. Now I don't hear a peep out of him. I asked him very politely - over the phone -to refund me and he would not. He refused. He's got no resources, nothing in Belize. He made it sound like Gilligan's Island. He just kept saying I will get the barrel and sight ring when he returns. I asked him when he would return to California, and he had no idea. Does he just purchase 1-way tickets? He's been doing this for a long time to people -not just since he hit 82. He's not senile. He's very sharp when I have spoken to him. During the past few days, I've had many people PM me about their poor experience with him.. Maybe one of Doug's good friends here who supports this behavior wants to send me a new in the wrap WWII barrel and sight ring (or $424) since it's not a big deal to them. They can always have Doug send them a replacement when he returns. It's easy to defend Doug when you have no skin in the game. But who here would throw over $400 away, honestly? Just write it off, and be a financial martyr to the great Doug. If anyone here purchased something off ebay for big money, and the seller never sent it, would you just forget about it? Even though the seller was a legend? I highly doubt it. I'm sure disputes would be filed within a month. Nobody would "move on". I've been very patient for 4 months. I will not move on and I will pursue this until I get refunded or my items sent. Unlike some here, money does not grow on trees for me. I bust my ass every day to earn my keep. He's a multi millionaire who took over $400 from a guy who lives paycheck to paycheck. That's a lot for me to lose, seriously. It stings. I don't understand why he can't do the right thing and just refund me. He's probably got that much in his wallet to use at the beach bar. I'm hoping he does the right thing here very soon.

Well heck, I guess I should be honored to lose $424 to Doug! He seems to be some kind of saint or savior to certain people. If he's 82, blind, and can board a plane to Belize (don't forget about arranging the tickets, booking taxis, checking in and getting to the gate),- he's got people helping him. He had someone list his items on gunbroker before he took off. If he's so sickly, he should not be advertising items for sale and arranging business deals. When I asked him to refund me, he said there are no resources in Belize. We all know that's an untrue statement. If he's got a phone, he can refund me. He's a very wealthy man who has a lot of resources to get around like that, and live the lifestyle that he lives. The same people helping him could help him to refund the money that he cashed nearly 120 days ago. Let's not overthink this. It's a business transaction and he has not completed his end after 4 months. There seems to be so many excuses being made. Anyone who sent that kind of money for an item would be a little concerned after 4 months. Especially since he was calling me nearly daily up until he cashed my check. Now I don't hear a peep out of him. I asked him very politely - over the phone -to refund me and he would not. He refused. He's got no resources, nothing in Belize. He made it sound like Gilligan's Island. He just kept saying I will get the barrel and sight ring when he returns. I asked him when he would return to California, and he had no idea. Does he just purchase 1-way tickets? He's been doing this for a long time to people -not just since he hit 82. He's not senile. He's very sharp when I have spoken to him. During the past few days, I've had many people PM me about their poor experience with him.. Maybe one of Doug's good friends here who supports this behavior wants to send me a new in the wrap WWII barrel and sight ring (or $424) since it's not a big deal to them. They can always have Doug send them a replacement when he returns. It's easy to defend Doug when you have no skin in the game. But who here would throw over $400 away, honestly? Just write it off, and be a financial martyr to the great Doug. If anyone here purchased something off ebay for big money, and the seller never sent it, would you just forget about it? Even though the seller was a legend? I highly doubt it. I'm sure disputes would be filed within a month. Nobody would "move on". I've been very patient for 4 months. I will not move on and I will pursue this until I get refunded or my items sent. Unlike some here, money does not grow on trees for me. I bust my ass every day to earn my keep. He's a multi millionaire who took over $400 from a guy who lives paycheck to paycheck. That's a lot for me to lose, seriously. It stings. I don't understand why he can't do the right thing and just refund me. He's probably got that much in his wallet to use at the beach bar. I'm hoping he does the right thing here very soon.

I do lean with the supporters of Doug, and a few years back, he was first rate in quickly replacing a defective part for me.

He also sent me a free copy of the new edition of his shop manual when he wasn't satisfied with the first effort.

But -there are a lot of accurate thoughts in what this writer has said as well.

Doug's other activities do seem to compromise excuses for his conduct here.

Edited by mnshooter

As a neutral an casual observer following this post my observation is:

With this kind of conduct from Doug what kind of legacy and reputation will that leave for him. I would guess he has not many birthdays left and you would think he would like to be favorably remembered in the community. His current conduct does not bode well for his epitaph.

• Upvote 1

With all due respect to your situation, how do you figure that becoming a new member here and spending every post crying about this every other day will improve your situation or resolve anything for you? No one here caused your situation, and it should be obvious by now that no one here can resolve it for you.

Edited by inertord

With all due respect to your situation, how do you figure that becoming a new member here and spending every post crying about this every other day will improve your situation or resolve anything for you? No one here caused your situation, and it should be obvious by now that no one here can resolve it for you.

I am new to this forum, but have empathy for Jamman. You are right, does not appear he will get his money back, get this resolved or receive much help from others. If I chased a check for services provided or for parts purchased by a buyer and did not provide such services/items, that would constitute Theft/Fraud. In Oregon, Theft I is a 250 dollar minimum threshold which is a Class C Felony. Not sure what the threshold in California is for a Felony/Misd offense but would check into it. If he is found guilty, takes a plea bargain or does a no contest, the sentencing judge can order restitution to be paid to you. Of course he is in another country and they are not going to extradite over this type of crime, but at least the court will put a warrant out for his arrest if and when he returns back to California. So my recommendation would be to report this to Doug's county SO and go from there.

Jamman is a victim of this situation, not the cause or perp, and just think if you did a deal and it blew up in your face for the same amount of money or even more. Would you not be upset? How would you like it if someone said stop your crying and get lost?

Edited by NFA amnesty

Ive refrained from posting but have been monitoring the tone. As long as the post remains civil we are good. Doug does not and cannot post to the board so any personal attacks or comments should be made directly via phone.

I believe that Jamman will get his part or money but likely will take time and bugging once Doug returns. Ive had several easy transactions but it was a couple years back. I recently contemplated sending my 22 kit to Merle for some work, but after talking to him I heard I may not get it back or upgraded. Recently we saw how that played out.

Since it was said, I will share an experience I had. We all live in the world of Amazon, Instant shipping, instant returns and constant emails of when junk will arrive. When this service is not available we panic. No doubt the story told here is excessive and I can sympathize. In 2006 I sent close to $300 to a civil war relic dealer for some parts. No online ordering, no receipt, just a cashed check. Emailed, emailed, called, emailed, and had little to no luck contacting. Then learned what happened, see link, this was two days after my check was cashed. Once he was out of the hospital and quasi working again I tried to get my order. The only evidence was a cashed check, an email, my memory and his (or not). Eventually I gave up as I realized he was lucky to still be alive and obviously he needed the money more than me.

In no way is this story meant to be a comparison to the situation, just a reminder that when making online purchases, a million things can go wrong but 99.9% go flawlessly.

https://www.dailycitizen.news/news/local_news/man-injured-by-cannonball-still-in-hospital/article_54c40a5c-f332-5f7e-9b55-49ce9903d4e0.html

Ron

So many on this forum willing to defend the indefensible...Google "Ripoffreport Doug Richardson" and read the complaint about him there...It mirrors the experience i had dealing with him as well as many , many others.....I also believe this forum is doing the gun community a disservice by allowing Doug to use this forum to solicit money from unsuspecting customers for items that he (Doug) has no way or intention of ever delivering...Its strikes me as laughable that poor Doug cant see well enough to deliver the merchandise he advertises and sells, but can see well enough to endorse the many checks he receives and is able to drive to his bank to cash them.

Edited by 1921 Gangsta

inertord, if you count my posts, they are not many. I had originally left it as I will update and we will see what happens. I already have a legal plan of action that I will take with this man. So I am not "crying" about it. I am simply responding to the ongoing questions and replies. You can't silence speech because it doesn't please you. I'm also not going to stay silent in an ongoing open group discussion, when my topic is being discussed. Especially when people tell me to walk away because Doug is such a legend and savior for the Thompson community. Many other people are talking about it. Are they also crying or just me because I'm a new member? Sorry to waste everyone's time with a discussion on this topic. Are people in this forum forced to read these posts? I would think if your tired of it, just don't click on the post. It sounds like Doug has a lot of good buddies here and a few of them think that Doug can do no wrong. I've see some defending his behavior. No one here caused my situation, true~ I never blamed anyone here, did I? Doug is so revered in this group, I trusted the good reviews about him. It would appear he only follows through on deals with his good buddies, and seems like he screws over the others. I have now gotten many many PMs about horrible experiences with Doug. Some don't want to talk in this open discussion for fear they will get ripped to shreds by Doug's fan club. I enjoy the discussions and the feedback on this site. It's a very informative site, and true, this subject is my only post. I only posted to see if this was normal behavior from Doug. I would think most would see this as pretty open and shut. I can guarantee how a judge would decide. I believe this post will save others the headache of what I'm going through. I would not recommend doing business with Doug Richardson at all. Once again, for the last time, I will update if and when Doug follows through.

I have locked this topic for now, as it seems to have raised many emotions, and I want to keep the board moving forward with a positive collector focus that is more characteristic of the normal mood of the board.

Many comments have been made, and I believe anyone who reads through the topic can make an informed decision in regards to dealing with Doug. I wish Doug well, and I hope that he quickly and appropriately resolves the issue with the referenced transaction. I don't want anyone who buys anything on this board to have to deal with this kind of issue. This is one of my main apprehensions when items are posted here for sale.

Jamman,

Please keep me updated via PM on any developments, and if needed, I will unlock the topic. I think that for the moment, this topic needs to remain visible, but should chill for a bit...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Doug made a quality product and engraving...…...I hope that he locates someone to take over his business and continue on with these products. (IE: Receivers/80%-Receivers, Engraving, and all of his other Thompson products).

I will remain on his list for my 1928A1 military-engraved 80% receivers (2) and M1A1 80% receiver......…..and hope that he or his replacement-worker calls me that things are moving forward.

Regards,

Richard Satterfield Sr.

US Army, RET

Doug followed though for me. I haven't spoken to him since April. I had already forgot about it, when a package showed up the other day. He included a nice handwritten letter and even gave me a couple of his books that I didn't have. 7 months and no reminders, and he still remembered. I commend him for remembering and following though with my purchase.

@Blanksguy.

If for some reason you do not wish to wait for a Richardson Recievers, I still have a M1A1 Receiver made by Doug Richardson for sale with a Parts Kit. Reciever is Serial Numbered to Grip Mount.

The 1928 Savage Commercial Marked Receiver made by Richardson I sold last week.