Reising Question

huggytree

my stamp came today. I had test fired the gun 2x over the past 11 months. it ran fine. on my first test i left it as is. then i swapped out the hammer and main spring with wolf. i noticed a dramatic increase in RPM. I just dissembed the gun and found my firing pin is bent (it wasnt before). i am wonding by changing out the hammer spring and not the firing pin spring if i made a mistake? i did install the wolf firing pin spring and a titanium firing pin today. i put the original main spring back in too.

Edited by huggytree

Assuming the innards of the bolt are clean, the only way the firing pin gets bent is if the bolt hits the back of the cartridge it is stripping from the magazine with enough speed that the inertia of the firing pin overcomes the FP spring force and projects through the FP hole.

When I bought my gun the springs were over 50 years old and the hammer would frequently give a light strike, especially with some berdan primed Argentine ammo of which I had a stash but it never had the firing pin protrusion issue. When I put the Wolff kit in my gun I changed all the springs. It completely solved the light strike problem and the protrusion issue did not and has not popped up

The hammer spring is irrelevant to the protrusion problem, the other parts are not. The Wolff or any fresh recoil spring adds more force and therefore creates more velocity at impact. It could be enough to allow the firing pin to overcome the spring. A fresh FP spring, Wolff or otherwise is good insurance. The titanium FP is probably the real cure. It has only 2/3 the mass of the steel pin so it can withstand a lot more bolt impact before it has enough momentum to overcome the spring pressure.

Edited by StrangeRanger

how do i test the length of the pin?

going to test fire it tomorrow with my tweaked keystone mags (had to bend feed lips very slightly to get proper angle). doing a extensive test this weekend to try to get 8 mags tuned

another question--for the main spring,how do you know it needs replacing? comparing the old vs new wolff. the wolff isn't that much longer, but it sure speeds the gun up- possibly 150 rpm+

got out to shoot it today...ran 100% until the hammer spring broke...pieces jammed in the hammer...cleared it and kept going with what was left of the spring...then the titanium firing pin broke :) only a few mag issues that I worked out by the end of the shooting session.

i replaced the firing pin again, filed it down per the other post about making an enertia firing pin...swapped both the hammer and firing pin springs back to factory...

gun was much better than I remembered. I was able to hit anything at any distance on my range. I was doing burst onto a full size silhouette at 25 yards and would hear ting,ting,ting (I cant do that with my Thompson) on semi auto it was even better. my sights are off about 6-8" but I still never missed in semi

Edited by huggytree

gun was much better than I remembered. I was able to hit anything at any distance on my range. I was doing burst onto a full size silhouette at 25 yards and would hear ting,ting,ting (I cant do that with my Thompson) on semi auto it was even better. my sights are off about 6-8" but I still never missed in semi

Since the Reising fires from a closed bolt, it is a very accurate submachine gun.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com