Welding Two 30 Rounders Together......anyone

done this? I have an idea how I'll go about this (cut, swage, TIG with no filler and repark), including linking the springs together, but I'm curious as to how others have accomplished this task.

FYI...I bought a bunch of mags sight unseen. Some were new but rusty, others have feed lips severely worn out. Sooooooo, project X arises (cut and weld). Just so everyone doesn't think I'm into butchering up perfectly good TSMG mags!!

Thanks for any advice!!

john http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

I heard a war story many years ago like this. I worked with a fellow whose Dad was in the the south pacific (Army) in WWII. He was a BAR man and wanted more magazine capacity. While they were on a troopship, he got a Navy machinist to help him weld two 20 round mags together. After some experimenting and trials they made one 40 round mag that worked. Their ship was at anchor by some south pacific island and waiting to sail to the next amphibius landing. Most of his outfit was on deck (in their skivies) and he was loading his new magazine and checking the fit in his BAR. Someone spotted a low flying Japanese unarmed observation plane which eventually ventured near the stern of the ship. He was the only one on deck with a weapon and he emptied his new 40 rounder at the plane. The engine started to smoke and the plane crashed into the sea about a mile away from the ship. The soldiers and sailors erupted in cheers and they picked him up and carried him on their shoulders around the deck. He shot the plane down with a BAR in his underware. Neat Story. Uncle Dudley

John,

Listen to Hardrede: Definitetly wait until the AWB sunsets. Do it before and it might be 10 years until you get to see the sunset from a place of your choosing.

UD:

The story I heard it involved the Hindenburg at Lakehurst NJ but I

never really believed it.

It happened post war. I was told it was an H&R Reising with 8 20 rounders held together with Scotch tape and it was the now famous "weather baloon" incident of Roswell New Mexico.

Make any thing that holds more than ten rounds (unless it is for law enforcement or the military) and you will be checking into the Graybar Hotel. You might like their special "turn down service".

"Hey! That's not a mint on my pillow!!!"

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif While this may work(welding two 30rnd mags together to make a 60rnd. mag.) the real question is "Why would you want to???" I think the 30rnd. mags stick out too far, 20rnd mags are much better for shooting prone and 30rnd mags are harder to shoot prone and a 60rnd would be impossible. I guess you could always use it like a mono pod to prop the gun up while you shoot it, but if it were me, I'd just wait a few more months and pick up a new post-post ban 50rnd. drum. Like was said, you'll be able to get them for the same price as the 10rnd. drums are going for now.

Assembling two preban mags together is not necesarily a violation of any law. It has been done by several savvy mag shops, including Craig Wheatly at Tac-Inc.

Here's a link with "BATFE letter". ATF Letter I cannot vouch for the authenticity of the letter, but it sounds about right. TMAN could chime in here and validate it if he wanted.

Assembling a mag with greater than 10rd capacity out of new mags or new mag parts would in violation of the 1994 AWB.

OR! Have PK machine the Cutts (or barrel on an M1) to take another blade sight at the thre o'clock position and then rivet a stamped Lyman sight to the right side of the recieiver. This way when firing from the prone position you will be able to lay the gun on its left side and fire away!! The ejection port is on top and the charging handle of 28' will be on the side!! If you are modifying an M1 just use the charging handle from a SEMI 1927 so it will not blockthe sight picture!!! This will also give you a lower profile than a XX mag when firing from the prone position!!

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Mar 12 2004, 11:06 AM)

Hmmm. Wonder how I can take two old, beat up original Colt L drums and graft them together to make Siamese drums?

PhilOhio

Didn't the Krauts do this with a 75 found mechanical drum for the MG-34? Build off of this technology!!

Well.... I guess this means that making this item:

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem....p?Item=16597138

into a 50 rounder MAY be legal... when was it made would have to be answered first.

The rotor from a 10 rounder will work - does that make it too new??

i still think the belt feed thompson is the way to go with clip on for 500 rd ammo can on the side of it.........

this way you won't have to reload as much and can burn out the barrel faster..........then go look for another for a few hundred buck's............

or don't do anything and have the cash............green is fun when you have it....................ron

I know the piece very well, I was being funny (well, trying any way) This doppletrommel does not use belts it works with a follower and is an absolute BASATARD to load. Think about it, the empty belt feeds out of the right side of the feed tray cover. Where would it come out with the DT in place? With the feed tray replaced there is no feed pawl in the DT cover as the feedway from the DT sits right where the feed pawl would be. How would it feed the belt? It is real bastard to make work (especialyif it is at all dirty) this is why they were mostly used by the Luftwaffe on th MG-15 aircraft gun.

WOW! This sure took on a life of it's own!

Seemingly there are several here who would rather toss out a worn mag than try to have a bit of fun making something different....Lighten up, guys! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif My intent was merely to ask if anyone else has done this and what they did to accomplish said task, but I really got a load of sarcasm!! Lucky I have a sense of humor (I really was laughing at some of the relpies!!) Belt fed....Hmmmmmm!!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Anyway, I've seen these letters and references from Bardwell (Small Arms Review) and on Subguns.com and there is nothing illegal about this....no more illegal than grinding off a bit of the front pad on a Swede K mag so it'll fit my S&W 76. Phil wins first prize....this is legal, but building a drum from parts not yet assembled before Sept. 94 is not. I'm not worried that the BATFE http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif is gonna knock my door down for inquiring about something that's been documented as "OK" with them

Anyway, some of you guys gotta realize that some of us just like to experiment. I don't really have too much time on my hands....wish it were the case!!!

And I'm not talking about destroying pristine 30-round pieces of living history here, either.....these mags are dogs that won't hold rounds....they're that worn!!

Anyway, keep up the good work, folks! I ain't laughed this hard since the hogs ate my little brother!!!!

AND.....if anyone has more to say, pro or con, go for it!!

I'm on a streak, folks! This is a record for me on number of replies for a post....my personal best!!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

john

John,

I'm with Phil and from Ohio too !! If you've ever experianced our weather you'd understand the humor we intend even more. If the ATF says it's OK, go for it !! I've seen enough people put in jail/prison for differing interpretations of the law. Being a front-line supervisor I have some say in who does and who doesn't but when it come to ATF I'd always err on the side of caution.

I'm still pondering the Hindenburg and Roswell incidents since they are both balloons. Coincidence ? I think not ! If it wasn't the 2 BAR mags or the Reising mags could it possibly be the double L drums mentioned by Phil? So Phil, where were you during the 30's and 40's???