Just Purchased an Ingram Model 6 at Auction

tom silver,

Welcome to the board, and congratulations on your M6.

One recommendation I have is to always use an extended length safety flag in the chamber after firing, as it has a longer than normal feed ramp, and can be difficult to visually check for a round in the chamber. I own M6 #147 that Frank sold to me, and is featured in his book. Fun gun with the unique, progressive trigger. Most folks at public ranges think it's a Thompson, and their eyes seem to glaze over when I inform them differently.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David what is a safety flag please?

tom silver,

Welcome to the board, and congratulations on your M6.

One recommendation I have is to always use an extended length safety flag in the chamber after firing, as it has a longer than normal feed ramp, and can be difficult to visually check for a round in the chamber. I own M6 #147 that Frank sold to me, and is featured in his book. Fun gun with the unique, progressive trigger. Most folks at public ranges think it's a Thompson, and their eyes seem to glaze over when I inform them differently.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David what is a safety flag please?

Empty chamber indicator

Probably a rack number but no way to tell whose rack without more info. A FOIA inquiry may give you the answer to that question. Since the ATF Forms are technically tax documents they black out the names of private individuals but since transfers to PDs and Corrections Depts are tax free that info may survive the "censors"

BTW I was PO'd at losing the auction for this one but I'm glad to find out that the guy who outbid me turned out to be a member here. If it's not mine at least it;'s in the "family." ;)

Edited by StrangeRanger

Probably a rack number but no way to tell whose rack without more info. A FOIA inquiry may give you the answer to that question. Since the ATF Forms are technically tax documents they black out the names of private individuals but since transfers to PDs and Corrections Depts are tax free that info may survive the "censors"

BTW I was PO'd at losing the auction for this one but I'm glad to find out that the guy who outbid me turned out to be a member here. If it's not mine at least it;'s in the "family." ;)

Wow thanks so much for responding to me. I am sorry you did not get it. I really wanted one of these for a long time. I didn't expect to pay so much for it. Was your bid right below me or? I really was not planning on spending 7K for it. I was going to stop at 6K but for some reason I stopped at 7 and if it went higher well that would have been it. Thanks again. I would guess you already have one or more. Tom

The bidding blew past my limit so quickly that I never even had a chance. I was looking to score one on the cheap which occasionally happens at auctions (e.g. the guys who got the Guide Lamp M3 for 21K or the Bridgeport 28A1 for 20K) but it didn't happen on the M6 or anything else I was interested in this time. Glad it went to someone who really wanted it as opposed to someone (me) who was just looking for another toy.

The bidding blew past my limit so quickly that I never even had a chance. I was looking to score one on the cheap which occasionally happens at auctions (e.g. the guys who got the Guide Lamp M3 for 21K or the Bridgeport 28A1 for 20K) but it didn't happen on the M6 or anything else I was interested in this time. Glad it went to someone who really wanted it as opposed to someone (me) who was just looking for another toy.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the highest bid you made on this M6?

Thanks

Edited by tom silver

I figured it was worth $6K give or take which would be 5K hammer. I was prepared to go to $5.5K but I was on the phone and by the time they opened the phone bidding the floor bidding was already there.

I checked with my Grease Gun expert. The Medea-receivered M3A1 clone probably went for a bit too much once you add in the premiums, hard to say because some of them function a whole lot better than others; it's a bit of a crap shoot. Real US military M3s are currently going for $28-30K and M3A1s are a bit more, maybe $31-34K so take 20% off those numbers for the hammer price. At $21K hammer/$25.3K realized the buyer didn't quite steal it but he got one hell of a deal.

yes I am sure I over paid by at least $1000 or more, but they seem to be going up in price and there was a bidder under me that put in 6.5. After the auction, I was bummed that I paid so much for it. I thought about trying to get out of it, but I did bid so, I thought that I should follow through. I am glad I got it.

Edited by tom silver

I'm not sure you overpaid by all that much. It was worth $6-6.5K to me but I wasn't particularly enamored of it, just looking at another SMG to play with. Market price obviously turned out to be quite a bit more. You got a decent example of a reasonably rare gun that you were genuinely interested in and had been looking to find. Nothing to regret in spending a little extra to get that. And yes, it will appreciate in value.

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the referrals to APEX Gun Parts for the M6 Ingram magazines.

I wish I had more spares to offer for that gun.

I think you will be very happy with your 'new" SMG!

Richard

Richard got the extra mags today. Thanks and also for two of them still with their packaging on them The Arrow on the bottom that points is that for the back or front when inserting the mags? There are some two or three bumps on the front or back of the mags. In relationship to them, which way to I insert the ammo please? Thanks Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow my M6 arrives at my local gun store and I am excited to see it. This store sells silencers but they have never conducted a transfer of a machine gun. This worries me a bit. The Auction house that I got the SMG from sent me a document from ATF and in it is stated that the Transferee in the Gun Store. I hope that does not mean that they own it until I am approved for the Class III? This doc says

Application for Tax-Exempt Transfer of Firearm and Registration to Special Occupational Taxpayer. Form OMB No 1140—13 (01/31/2011) does any one know what this means please?

Tomorrow my M6 arrives at my local gun store and I am excited to see it. This store sells silencers but they have never conducted a transfer of a machine gun. This worries me a bit. The Auction house that I got the SMG from sent me a document from ATF and in it is stated that the Transferee in the Gun Store. I hope that does not mean that they own it until I am approved for the Class III? This doc says

Application for Tax-Exempt Transfer of Firearm and Registration to Special Occupational Taxpayer. Form OMB No 114013 (01/31/2011) does any one know what this means please?

Tom,

Ill add more here in this post. As stated in the other post, the transfer process of paperwork is normal. You may want to talk to the dealer, make sure he has a good storage place, oil up the gun if needed, and it insure it will be stored safe. If hes a good dealer, youll probably get to visit it, or if they have a range, shoot it. Its your gun, hes just keeping it safe until you can take possession.

Ron

Application for Tax-Exempt Transfer of Firearm and Registration to Special Occupational Taxpayer. Form OMB No 114013 (01/31/2011) does any one know what this means please?

Tom,

Ill add more here in this post. As stated in the other post, the transfer process of paperwork is normal. You may want to talk to the dealer, make sure he has a good storage place, oil up the gun if needed, and it insure it will be stored safe. If hes a good dealer, youll probably get to visit it, or if they have a range, shoot it. Its your gun, hes just keeping it safe until you can take possession.

Ron

Thanks Ron

Well it arrived today in Oregon. I signed all the docs, look all the finger prints, photo, fee, etc. So hopefully in less than a year, I will have it to take home and shoot. The front vertical grip has a few wood gouges on it which I will get cleaned up. That was a little unsettling, since the photos did not really show it well but they stated it in the auction. When you can't see it before you buy it, this stuff happens.

But besides that, it appears to be in good condition and the three mags look like N.O.S. Here are a few photos I took today.

post-263847-0-21089100-1611024295_thumb.jpg

post-263847-0-59365600-1611024360_thumb.jpg

post-263847-0-62684000-1611024415_thumb.jpg

post-263847-0-15530700-1611024583_thumb.jpg

I am glad you got to feel it and see it in person. Have you gotten the book in yet?

Yes the book in fantastic. So much great information, history and knowledge. I love the book. Just may get a second one. What do you think of these gouges in the front handle. I did not see them in the photos and not sure if I want to fix them, or put filler in them, or? Maybe just keep it as original as possible. What do you think?

I am glad you got to feel it and see it in person. Have you gotten the book in yet?

Yes the book in fantastic. So much great information, history and knowledge. I love the book. Just may get a second one. What do you think of these gouges in the front handle. I did not see them in the photos and not sure if I want to fix them, or put filler in them, or? Maybe just keep it as original as possible. What do you think?

post-263847-0-67069100-1611443075_thumb.jpg

post-263847-0-31252300-1611443132_thumb.jpg