I've never had to deal with Kahr arms customer service but this initial run is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth.

I'm replacing my bolt because I'm having the common problem with the extractor popping out at random during firing exercises.

I ordered a new bolt and extractor on their website and there was NOTHING through the process saying anything about backorder or out of stock.

I now get an email today saying sorry your items are backordered with no estimated time of arrival. So I call their customer service line for TWO hours getting jerked around until their offices are closed for the weekend. I never even got to talk to a person!!!

My questions are:

1. Is Kahr customer service always this hard to get a hold of?

2. If question 1 is true.... does anyone know an easier way to get a person?

3. How can the company that manufactures the part be out of them???

4. Is there ANYWHERE else to get a replacement bolt for a Kahr Thompson?

Thanks,

Jon

Edited by 06AngusSG

From what I have read here, that seems to be the way they do business. That is why I built my own SA tommy. You can go to weaponsguild.com and they have a lot of good info.

Thanks. I'll check that out.

06AngusSG, I dodn't want to come off as a troll when I first posted on this site about my problems with Kahr's customer service. But I also felt that it was important for people to see what I was up against with a clearly defective bolt in a low round count firearm. I fully admitted to them on the first phone call that the gun was purchased in 2008 but never fired,that I acquired it in 2012 and at that time had put twenty rounds through it and had not subsequently fired it until July 4th of this year, at that time thirty (=/-) when the extractor broke away from the bolt. And finding the other area of the firing pin retaining pin bore splitting away from the bolt. They do have a Facebook site, you can message them through that. I did and got a response from that albeit during the week. Try that. I've thought about joining the kahrtalk forum but fwiw the Thompson forum does not seem to be a hot area over there. In my opinion the Kahr mantra seems to "get their money now, they will forget problems in the future" but they are so wrong. My example of good customer service, another firearm manufacturer posted a rebate with a start date two weeks after I had purchased a rifle, (MSRP $799.00) which I found after I purchased it. This is a rimfire, so it's getting to be a pretty IMO expensive rifle. My friend and I were out shopping Nikon scopes for it when we found out about the rebate. My outlook was "figures, day late and a dollar short" but he said to call their customer service. I did and they said they would honor the rebate. Now that's customer service. I've been waffling on trading up from my Glock 19. I really like the gun, pricewise I stole it. A co-worker was getting married and his fiancee' was an anti-gunner. Hence, a six month old gun for $300. I've been lusting over Browning Hi-Powers for years and I am thinking after the first of the year to trade up. Or I might just keep the G19 and still get the Hi-Power. Regarless, Kahr is not even a blip on my radar screen for future purchases. Back oon the bolt and extractor, after I assembled it and test fired it I still had some extraction problems. Two trips to my local 'smith and a few tweaks and it is running flawlessly so far. I am going to buy a extra bolt, extractor and firing pin as backups because I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling on how long my replacements will function without failing again.

Edited by SHOVELHEADRIDER

My experience with Kahr resulted in me establishing a policy of not stocking their products or special ordering them for customers. Someone comes in wanting a Kahr I tell them to look else where. I simply got tired of all the customer complaints about Kahr.

Their semi-auto handguns are supposed to be good?

From what I've heard about their Thompsons and service, I'd never

look at or own any of their products.

To think they own our heralded Auto-Ord Company makes me sick, sad and mad!

Darryl

It's a fun gun to shoot and it does get "the looks" and "moths to a flame" whenever I take it out to my club. But I also caution everybody that "your results may vary" and "look before you leap".

The 1911A1 that I spoke of earlier developed extractor problems at about the 1500 round range. I was in a PPC league and was going through 200 average rounds per session hence the fired rounds range count. I took that problem as a cost of doing business.

Ordered a WIlson Combat extractor and took it to my local gunsmith for tuning as I had some extraction issues with it after attempting to do it myself. Now if that problem had arisen within the first fifty rounds I would have expected the manufacturer to cover the repairs.

All I wanted was some "assistance" from Kahr, with the the gun being out of the one year warranty and second owner if they had offered a 50/50 split I would have been ecstatic. I could have just as easily told them that I was the original purchaser as I do have the dated sales invoice with no name on it from the store but that's not how I play the game, guess I'm too honest.

I'm still paying off medical deductibles from last winter's slip and fall, two crowns and last weekend's ankle sprain and ER trip but once the C/C is down I'll get a extra set of parts and that will be the last from Kahr.

Update. I finally got a guy this morning. The backorder email was simply because their PA warehouse was out but come to find out their MA warehouse was not... so still... Incompetence, but my parts have actually shipped as of this afternoon thanks to the guy I talked to.

Hope I don't have to deal with this again.

And to mirror Darryl's statement.. I wish a more reputable company had the A.O. rights.

To their credit they were very prompt with filling my order. Accuracy of filled order? Well, I ordered the retaining pin under the firing pin, shorter of the three pins on the bolt. They billed and shipped one of the two larger ones. For three bucks it wasn't worth the grief. I drove the old one out and inserted in the new bolt and said good enough.

I ordered a replacement mag catch.... took almost a month. The few times I had to call before that wasn't the best, the guy on the phone was a dick, and gave me snotty answers to my questions. Then i found this site and got my questions answered, then i ordered my Thompson.

I did finally receive my new bolt today. I hope this will be the "fix" for the extractor popping out problem. It does look like the machining on the new bolt is of a much higher grade than the original one.

Maybe... the era mine was made (2009) was a time when the tooling needed redone and was used for too long?

I'll report back here the next time I get out to the range with it...

• 1 month later...

I renamed the topic since it sorta became no longer about the customer service and more about the stovepipe/extractor issue.

So I finally was able to make it out to shoot my Thompson with the new bolt and extractor in it. I am very pleased to say problem solved!!! No more extractor popping out of the bolt and no more stove pipes. The only issue to speak of today was a couple of failures to fully feed. I believe this to be a mag lip issue since I have never adjusted any of the mag feed lips. I know there are some posts already on how do do this so time to get to work.

I think the final diagnosis was that the first bolt was just poorly machined with dull tools vs. this new one is done very well.

Prepping for range day. Awesome!!!

20151024_120433.jpg20151024_121532.jpg

Jon

Edited by 06AngusSG

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 4WHLDRFTN

I've never had to deal with Kahr arms customer service but this initial run is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth.

I'm replacing my bolt because I'm having the common problem with the extractor popping out at random during firing exercises.

I ordered a new bolt and extractor on their website and there was NOTHING through the process saying anything about backorder or out of stock.

I now get an email today saying sorry your items are backordered with no estimated time of arrival. So I call their customer service line for TWO hours getting jerked around until their offices are closed for the weekend. I never even got to talk to a person!!!

My questions are:

Thanks,

Jon

Jon, this will always be an issue with the stock set up.... junk!

you should check if these are avail ..... much better design.

this is a spring loaded extractor proto by Hudson

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g448/4WHLDRFTN/11%20M1A1-bolt_zpsg9porq26.jpg

Edited by 4WHLDRFTN

Do you have any pictures of the two bolts side by side? I ask becasue I have a 2007 Kahr M1 that I have not put more than 2-300 rounds through since I bought it. But I plan on shooting it much more now that it is SBR'd.

Sorry for the delay. Work keeps me too busy sometimes. Below are some pics of the two bolts. To the camera they don't look to much different. To the eye there is a definite difference in quality. The "bright" one is the old one. I had polished it as one of the measures to try to correct my extractor / feeding problems. So in the pics that also distorts the true differences in machining characteristics.

If you want any more pics of a specific part of the bolts let me know. Hope this helps.

Jon

20151118_182528.jpg20151118_182546.jpg20151118_182556.jpg20151118_182809.jpg20151118_182826.jpg20151118_182858.jpg20151118_182853.jpg

20151118_182752.jpg

I have to disagree with kahr services. I had to send my SA 1927 the firing pin was striking the round to deep. I was also having all kinds of jamming and stove pipe issues. I contacted them via the website. They replied with in 48 hours Sending me a shipping label. I sent it in, got it back earlier than the time frame they stated. The issue was still present. So I contacted the same guy again he sent me a new label and again returned it in a earlier time frame than stated. Gun works flawlessly now. I never paid 1 penny. They even replaced the stock screws I mangled.

Which one do you think it of a better quality- the old or new one and why? ? It's hard to tell from the pictures.

Thanks,

Dan

quote name="06AngusSG" post="158506" timestamp="1447901410"]

Do you have any pictures of the two bolts side by side? I ask becasue I have a 2007 Kahr M1 that I have not put more than 2-300 rounds through since I bought it. But I plan on shooting it much more now that it is SBR'd.

Sorry for the delay. Work keeps me too busy sometimes. Below are some pics of the two bolts. To the camera they don't look to much different. To the eye there is a definite difference in quality. The "bright" one is the old one. I had polished it as one of the measures to try to correct my extractor / feeding problems. So in the pics that also distorts the true differences in machining characteristics.

If you want any more pics of a specific part of the bolts let me know. Hope this helps.

Jon

attachicon.gif20151118_182528.jpgattachicon.gif20151118_182546.jpgattachicon.gif20151118_182556.jpgattachicon.gif20151118_182809.jpgattachicon.gif20151118_182826.jpgattachicon.gif20151118_182858.jpgattachicon.gif20151118_182853.jpg

Do you have a website where that can be obtained from?

My questions are:

Thanks,

Jon

Jon, this will always be an issue with the stock set up.... junk!

you should check if these are avail ..... much better design.

this is a spring loaded extractor proto by Hudson

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g448/4WHLDRFTN/11%20M1A1-bolt_zpsg9porq26.jpg