Fully Transferable MP5s Mfr 1984? Not Converted HK94's-True/False?

Grease Gunner

If ATF comes back and says no these are transferable go ahead with the sale and here is our blessing then Im going to be jumping up and down as my pre sample MP5 and T&E marked MP5SD are instantly transferable then they are worth a lot more due to the pressident being set. Someone better tread lightly or they are going to open Pandoras box on this one

I'd bet on a few extremely pissed-off MP5 buyers and civil, or possibly criminal, proceedings against both the broker and Miami-Dade as the more likely outcome

Edited by StrangeRanger

Certainly possible when atf was contacted and asked if they were transferable, they said yes......to any licensed class 3 dealer and someone did not comprehend that would be the only place they will transfer?

If people start getting Akins springs back, certainly there's hope these become transferable.....to everyone. Odds are slightly lower on a fire where the forms are kept and everyone re-registers on the honor system LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to a fellow FFL and he had talked to dealer. Apparently they had 8 or more of these MP5s and to fund the dept with updated equipment, they decided to sell them. They sold most of them already as transferrables from what I was told.

He (fellow FFL who called) was told that that the police dept contacted the ATF to get approval to sell the firearms. They gave the serial # to the ATF as requested, and the ATF came back and told them they were considered transferrables. Supposedly this information they are transferrables came from a higher ups in the ATF, not just one inspector.

Now whether this is all true, I have no idea. This is just hearsay from another FFL that called them wanting to find out the details.

I heard this exact story and I am awaiting and wondering if we will ever hear the end of the story.

The only way this could happen is if someone went in and changed things in the NFTR to let them transfer

later down the road. Lets hope we hear the final chapter on this one.

Not all - pay close attention to the text about how/why they came into the country. If it was imported and went to a licensee = restricted (sales sample). If it went directly to a gov agency ... not restricted. I'm not confirming or denying anything but it is an interesting and reasonable thought process in accordance with the law.

Edited by The Lone Ranger

Not all - pay close attention to the text about how/why they came into the country. If it was imported and went to a licensee = restricted (sales sample). If it went directly to a gov agency ... not restricted. I'm not confirming or denying anything but it is an interesting and reasonable thought process in accordance with the law.

Problem is that many of the MP-5s in use the US and papered as pre samples came in direct from HK to the LEA. They are not automatically "transferable". I have been doing this for 35+ years, bought and sold a LOT of LEA MGs and in particular MP-5s and None were "transferable." Never say never, just never seen it.

Lone Ranger-by your logic then my MP5SD should be a Transferable as it was and is marked as a factory T&E gun meaning it came into the states and was used by HK sales and training reps, not sent to a dealer.

I dont see how this is going to work but Im down for being surprised

Lone Ranger-by your logic then my MP5SD should be a Transferable as it was and is marked as a factory T&E gun meaning it came into the states and was used by HK sales and training reps, not sent to a dealer.

I dont see how this is going to work but Im down for being surprised

I would think the original HK receipt of your MP5 = licensee. They are not a government agency.

David

I must be illiterate as well as senile.... figures. Never meant to convey that an importer using as a sales sample would remove the sales sample restriction. It would need to have gone to a government agency.

There are two realistic allowances involved in almost every NFA import:

1) Brought in for government

2) An odd reason very few can legitimately claim

3) Brought in for sales sample

H&K won't meet the definition of government entity so #3 it is in your SD scenario. The claim being made about these MP-5s is that they meet #1. At least that's how I tracked it but as always I might be smoking bamboo again.

Edited by The Lone Ranger

LR-I see what you are saying now. Makes sense what you are referring to. Im just referring to the fact that ATF could open a can of worms if this is indeed how they want to play it. Can you imagine the amount of FOIA requests on pre samples to see who got them first....

I'd say no. The assumption is that an LE agency directly imported the guns and were direct shipped to the LE from
Germany, which is possible, but probably rare. HK USA is a separate company from HK Germany, operates under US licensing, and is a licensed importer, thus if guns went there first, then to an LE agency, that would not be a direct importation, thus they would be pre-may guns.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...