• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 villafuego

villafuego

• Regular Group
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:23 PM

I've never seen this one before......

I bid, but the auction was ended shortly after. The seller then relisted with a 250.00 BIN price, and it was gone in seconds

Did anyone here get it?

Some pics I saved:

Attached Files

#2 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 593 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:32 PM

Nice piece.....never seen one like that before either.....

#3 R67

R67

• Regular Group
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:WWII US Uniforms and Equipment, College girls, and Thompsons of course....

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:57 PM

Ah, the old backdoor offer trick. Someone messages the seller an offer, and the seller relists the item at that price after giving a heads up to the buyer. It is kind of shady when bids have been put on the item. 

#4 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1349 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:06 PM

Pricing aside and how it arrived there, has anyone here seen that one? Not me. Very cool and looked to be in good shape. Thanks for the pics.

#5 ron_brock

ron_brock

Respected Member

• 1779 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 05:37 AM

IF original, the seller is the loser at that price. There was another piece of paper I was watching that sold for $100BIN. Same situation as it did not have a buy it now price when I started watching.

The type of advanced items that can be seen on display at the annual All Thompson Show and Shoot....

Ron

#6 R67

R67

• Regular Group
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:WWII US Uniforms and Equipment, College girls, and Thompsons of course....

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:59 AM

The incentive of the back door offer is to undercut the possible price the item would reach at auction. The buyer has a sense of what it would go for if the auction played out, but the seller does not. So the buyer sends a generous offer (generous in the eyes of the laymen seller) but is really getting it at a steal. 

#7 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2222 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:04 AM

It is relisted...

https://www.ebay.com...NY/223174262562

Edited by giantpanda4, 04 October 2018 - 10:04 AM.

#8 Adg105200

Adg105200

• Board Donor
  • 693 posts
  • Interests:Ww2, Thompsons & many other guns, hunting, fishing, tools, woodworking

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:02 PM

Interesting, never seen that one before either. Should be fun to watch.

Andrew

#9 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2589 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:49 PM

The incentive of the back door offer is to undercut the possible price the item would reach at auction. The buyer has a sense of what it would go for if the auction played out, but the seller does not. So the buyer sends a generous offer (generous in the eyes of the laymen seller) but is really getting it at a steal. 

R67,
Good point. Like all the helmet guys (lid, if you are part of the inner circle on the Helmet forum on the U.S. Militaria Forum) that make back door offers all the time on EBay and then act indignent when the auction is ended early. Then the wiinners cant wait to get on the forum and rationalize how it was okay to make the off-line offer.

I do , however, agree with your succinct analysis of why it is done.

Edited by gijive, 04 October 2018 - 06:52 PM.

#10 2t2

2t2

• Board Benefactor
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:44 PM

WOW! $860.00 what am in missing?

#11 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4607 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:02 PM

WOW! $860.00 what am in missing?

Original paper items like this are very expensive.  If you have further interest in Thompson paper items, I know of a handy collector guide that is still available...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#12 rpbcps

rpbcps

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 552 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:37 AM

IF original, the seller is the loser at that price. There was another piece of paper I was watching that sold for $100BIN. Same situation as it did not have a buy it now price when I started watching.

The type of advanced items that can be seen on display at the annual All Thompson Show and Shoot....

Ron

Yep, I paid a lot more than that for an original 1921 catalog, after a log of haggling, following advice from a couple of  board members last month. One piece of advice received was "I would say it should be in today’s market around 1250, but try and find another one!" I took that advice a paid a little more than 1250...

Stay safe
Richard

Edited by rpbcps, 13 October 2018 - 11:39 AM.