Sportman's guide has 28 bolts in stock again. $39.97 plus shipping. On Tuesday I ordered two. They arrived today (friday). Both look new and have the Savage "S" on the end. Go to www.sportsmansguide.com and then enter "thompson" once you get there.

I bought a dozen of those last year. Sold all but 2 that I keep for back ups.Very impressed. All mine were Savage make also. New in grease but not in original wrapping. Not a bad deal.

I too bought two of the bolts earlier this week but have not yet received them. I recall earlier posts about them after they had sold out and was just lucky to find them in stock. I called and spoke to customer service who advised me they were "reproductions" which had me somewhat concerned. I was reluctant to let everyone on here know they were back in stock until I received them.

Thanks Hawksnest for putting my mind at ease. I'm hoping mine are "S" marked as well.

Chuck

Thanks Hawksnest. I ordered one yesterday.

The one I received from them the last time they had them in stock was also a Savage. Never fired. Total cost was about 50.00 bucks with shipping and handling. Those people would not know a reproduction from an original if it jumped up and bit them in the butt! Wish they would come up with some other parts.

Ya, like bustin open that crate of '21 acuators and selling them to members for $9.99 http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif ops, I think I was dreaming again http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif BTW I just got 5 bolts for paperweights!

Guest tommygun2000

Thanks for the heads up on the bolts. I just ordered two also. I have one Savage still in the grease and original wrapper but would like to have a couple more bolts for shooter spares. I did have a bolt break on me last year. the end chipped off near the extractor.

Anyone going to do a run of actuators? I'd buy a couple of those too if available for a reasonable price.

There are more war surplus parts available to the public then there are registered Savage and Bridgeport Thompson's. Every year another warehouse is magically discovered briimming with parts. I'm not sure why ebay folks frantically bid on readily available merchandise. On the other hand, I saw an original FBI case that sold for a grand on ebay while sturmgehwer, subguns and gunbroker advertised same origninal cases for $2,600.

Guest tommygun2000

Got my two bolts yesterday. They are marked with the "S" on the rear and are in perfect condition. A great buy at that price.

Sprayed them with "Iron Clad"....from ZEP and vacuum sealed them in food saver plastic for longterm storage.

Do we know for sure that these "S" marked bolts (I got mine a couple weeks ago) are really Savage stock or perhaps are they being made in Mexico, Malaysia, etc. by people who merely copy a Savage bolt right down to the "S" mark? In my work (generally patent law but some other intellectual property things) I see some very good knockoffs. For instance, I have a Faux-lex (i.e., fake Rolex) that is nearly indistinguishable from the actual thing.

This discussion came up on the old board the last time Sportman's Guide had a supply of the bolts. My contention is who would go to the trouble of dedicating a machine shop to reproducing obsolete finely machined Thompson submachine gun bolts? It wouldn't be worth the cost of setting up production.

They couldn't be anything but original bolts. The tolerances are perfect, they function flawlessly, the extractor and hammer pin dimensions fit the original surplus parts perfectly. Do you really think a machine shop in Mexico or China would have the exact tolerances down so that original parts fit like a glove?

The markings are in the exact same location as original bolts and as Frank Ianammico speculates, and I concur, the blued bolts were probably replacement bolts made for refitting and rebuilding. The original bolts all seem to have been nickel, according to most old photographic evidence.

Sportman's Guide buyers probably located a surplus lot of genuine replacement bolts that were packed away for storage somewhere. They ordered small lot of them, sold them out and ordered more as the demand by collectors (and list memebers on this Board) increased.

I just can't believe that there would be a big enough market for someone to manufacture 60+ year old submachine gun bolts. Look at the surplus reinforced cross bolt stocks that exist on the market. They're all over the place and in brand new condition. There must have been thousands in storage for years after they converted to the M1 series Thompsons.

The bolts, in my opinion, are real and I have to marvel at buyers on Ebay paying in excess of $150.00 for blued surplus replacement bolts.

I am not condemning people that buy them cheap for resale. Let the buyer beware! If one has examined enough Thompson bolts it is pretty easy to tell these are the real thing.

Oh, you gotta be faster than that. Now you'll have to buy one from the Bolt Meisers on eBay! Brwahahahaha! I assume that's what one does with 12 bolts:-) Me? I don't EVER expect to wear out the ONE I have now.....of course I put more wear on it taking it apart and cleaning it...lovingly...about every other day..that I do actually shooting it.

Freakin a right there skippy http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif . I sold some on eVil Bay and kept a couple for meselfish. I was able to afford the ammo with the extra dough I made on the bolts. But I did only sale mine for $45 each, buy it now thing. I didn't make 3x what they sale for. And all were "S" bolts in new condition re-wrapped. I almost felt bad at making a few bucks that way........ok no I didn't, had ya there for a second didn't I?