Is this a genuine photo of John Dillinger w/ Thompson?

Bob,

That is actor Warren Oates from the movie Dillinger. The movie was from about 1977 or so

He had a pretty close resemblance.

Actually 1973 as maxfaxdude correctly pointed out.

Edited by gijive

It's been years since I saw that Movie but I think I remember some interesting Thompson stuff.

A Thompson being fire in Semi in one scene by on of the G-Men( Melvin Purvis)and another scene where Bad guys are carrying the Thompsons in the Canvas Rusco type Cases.

A 100 rd Drum popping out of a dropped Thompson. Were they making Repro 100 rd Drums in 1973 ??

And a very young Richard Dreyfus as Baby Face Nelson

Edited by jojeep

The prop gun in the OP photo has a very unusual custom vertical foregrip. Stylish; one of a kind?

The prop drum magazine (which could easily have been wood, turned on a lathe) appears to be backwards; the "cover" is on the rear.

Written and directed by a real gun guy: John Milius (Red Dawn, etc.). The PR posed photos were probably not done by him.

I remember watching this and others in their original theatrical release.

Dillinger, B&C, Bloody Mama, Big Bag Mama, etc. TSMG Cinema.

Edited by mnshooter

I am surprised that I never saw this photo before. Is it genuine? Or

the product of Photoshop? Or a Hollywood movie? The photo is alleged

to be John Dillinger...

Bob

PR photo from "Dilinger", released by IAP in the summer of 1973. I sent Taliaferro my mother's shooting copy of the script for research purposes a couple of years ago. It may have been on one of the tables at his show... I have been unable to attend since I sent it. Kind of an interesting artifact. IIRC the PR shots were done on set, but by a production photographer. I think I still have a few rolling around here. Milius was doing this on the super cheap, so everyone had multiple tasks. It was pretty cool to be a kid on the set while it was being made. The prop guys were very kind and allowed me to handle (with appropriate supervision, of course!) most if not all of the weapons used in filming. An amazing group of future stars were in that production.

• Upvote 1

It's been years since I saw that Movie but I think I remember some interesting Thompson stuff.

A Thompson being fire in Semi in one scene by on of the G-Men( Melvin Purvis)and another scene where Bad guys are carrying the Thompsons in the Canvas Rusco type Cases.

A 100 rd Drum popping out of a dropped Thompson. Were they making Repro 100 rd Drums in 1973 ??

I don't recall any C drums or canvas cases in the movie.

Lots of BAR action, though!

I don't recall any C drums or canvas cases in the movie.

Lots of BAR action, though!

@jpw43

I believe the Canvas bags are seen briefly at the Little Bohemian Shoot Out scene.

And if memory serves me one of the Gangster during a Bank Robbery scene gets shot, thrown up against a wall, drops his Thompson and when it hits the Sidewalk the 100rd drum goes popping out from the force.

Edited by jojeep

I am surprised that I never saw this photo before. Is it genuine? Or

the product of Photoshop? Or a Hollywood movie? The photo is alleged

to be John Dillinger...

Bob

Dillinger eventually retired and started a burger franchise called Hulka Burgers. Thats a Fact Jack.

Edited by NFA amnesty

It was a fifty round and it actually rolled as it popped out. a number of Marlin and Winchester Bars used also. And the famous babe window scene with her firing one telling Johnny to run. Still have the movie stills and poster and v.h.s. And d.v.d. Release.they cut some scenes when it hit T.V. for funny part was on the poster the artist rendering had a ppsh-41 drum type artwork. On The Thompson.Mostly all real deal guns used in the filming. Not much Prop stuff. But a few MGC Replicas also. in the bank scene the first one. When he cocks it the sounds and also the front grips are give aways And the top with the two screw's Replica models in later years Perfected the non two screw top.

In 1973 it had many great one liners.And a ton of gun action.You will have to watch it twice or three times to catch it all.And a few actors who also played In Godfather also.

After Warren played In the Wild Bunch in 69 They had to get Him for this. He reprised His Thompson roll in Bring me the Head Alfredo {Cigar Vendor}

check it out.

Some good info here and a good post.Ron

Edited by colt21a