Which Pistol to Match a WW2 Thompson ?

I have a few and i am amazed at the new asking prices. Get one while you still can. I have a Colt in my safe from 1914 and i have a Colt from my Great uncle from 1918. Here are a couple, like new Remington Rands.

Eric

15.jpg

You have a M1A1 Thompson and are complaining about the price of a World War II Colt M1911A1?

Not complaining...justifying.

I can afford anything I want.

I can also eat T-bones for every meal.

Be bold, Go for a Union Switch and Signal.

Take a walk on the wild side. Get a Singer.

Seriously, as mentioned earlier upthread, when I had a mixed number upper/lower Savage M1 arsenal stamped and rebuilt as an M1A1, I wanted to get an Colt 1911A1; never got to it though.

Best of luck and enjoy whatever you get!

Edited by Merry Ploughboy

Really, any US issue 1911 or 1911A1 would be correct.

Here's a Springfield Armory 1911 issued to a paratrooper in the 101st. He made the Normandy jump with this Springfield Armory 1911.

http://i63.tinypic.com/fad3lf.jpg

If you want to get fancy, this 1942 Colt is from my collection. The grip is called a "sweetheart grip." They're quite rare.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2py58qd.jpg

Personally, I'd stay away from Singers and US&S, Lot of fakes out there, and unless you know 1911s better than the back of your hand, you're going to get cheated.

This 1918 Colt would be good. Nice original finish and correct.

http://i64.tinypic.com/30bgvwp.jpg

​Too bad after years of Springfield manufacturing guns they put such a lousy finish on their 1911's!

IMG_4418.jpg

​A 1939 Navy would look nice too.

IMG_4415.jpg

Or a plain old parked 1911 left over from the Great War.

IMG_4416.jpg

Colt & Smith and Wesson made a nice 1917, or a Colt Commando or S&W Victory.

IMG_4417.jpg

Here you go, the perfect 1911 for you; a Singer. It's been mentioned in another post: https://www.gunauction.com/buy/14875678

Kidding aside, unless you have that kind of money; my vote goes to a 1911.

There are some real nice ones displayed above guys!

Andrew

Colt did a special run of 1911 Gov't models for the 100th Anniversary, Model 01911ANVIII, packaged in a brown pressboard box and warped in wax paper just like the way they delivered them to the government. The pistols were true to the original design and finish. I found a dealer who had 3 NIB he never sold. A perfect fit for a M1A1 Thompson. No way you can top a Colt. Picked one up as a gift for my son when he was prompted to LTC.

Edited by Tiz

Colt did a special run of 1911 Gov't models for the 100th Anniversary, Model 01911ANVIII, packaged in a brown pressboard box and warped in wax paper just like the way they delivered them to the government. The pistols were true to the original design and finish. I found a dealer who had 3 NIB he never sold. A perfect fit for a M1A1 Thompson. No way you can top a Colt. Picked one up as a gift for my son when he was prompted to LTC.

I owned one of those for a while. I got a great deal on it at a gun show of all places. IIRC, as well as the serial numbering, the trigger was different on the front surface, and the internal machine was modern, not WWII in some areas that you had to take the gun apart to see. I never even took the magazines out of their wrapping - I bought a couple aftermarket mags for shooting. It was very accurate, and I eventually sold it for more than I had in to it.

As you say, one of those would be a decent accompany piece for an M1/M1A1.

Even cheaper than a Colt is the Kahr 1911A1. They call it the "1911 BKO." I dug in my spare parts and replaced the trigger with a WW II trigger and the mainspring housing with a WW II Remington Rand part. I also swapped the grips for WW II grips. It's Parkerizing even looks right. The barrel is stainless, so I had it CeraKote finished in dark blue-black. The internals are Series 80, but from ten feet, no one will ever know. The pistol was $485 on Gun Broker used. It's a heck of a shooter.

https://www.auto-ordnance.com/auto-ordnance-1911-pistol/

Edited by LSU Tiger

I owned one of those for a while. I got a great deal on it at a gun show of all places. IIRC, as well as the serial numbering, the trigger was different on the front surface, and the internal machine was modern, not WWII in some areas that you had to take the gun apart to see. I never even took the magazines out of their wrapping - I bought a couple aftermarket mags for shooting. It was very accurate, and I eventually sold it for more than I had in to it.

As you say, one of those would be a decent accompany piece for an M1/M1A1.

Glad you had the experience of owing one and yes they are very accurate. We shot the one I gave to my son. I was impressed with how it shot nearly as good as my Gold Cup. I should have bought all 3 as they were very reasonably priced and probably could have resold them for more.

• 1 month later...

I purchased a GI 1911a1 Ithaca with a Boyt holster. Both holster and weapon made in 1944. Yes I know "Hollywood" but watch some old Combat tv episodes. What did Saunders carry along with his Thompson?

Edited by NFA amnesty

I purchased a GI 1911a1 Ithaca with a Boyt holster. Both holster and weapon made in 1944. Yes I know "Hollywood" but watch some old Combat tv episodes. What did Saunders carry along with his Thompson?

Definitely post some pictures when you get the spare time. We love pictures here :)

Andrew