Lewis Gun Bipod Leg Screw Needed

• 2 weeks later...

I dug out my drawing of the bipod, you're going to have problems. The screw you ordered is 1/4" diameter (ok) and 20 threads per inch. The original screw was 26 TPI which is non-standard now. I doubt you will have much success re-tapping the collar to match the new screw. I wouldn't try it.

If you can find a good machinist that will take on small jobs (without charging an arm or leg), here's what I would do.

1. Thread a 1/4" steel rod 26 tpi and make sure it threads properly into the collar

2. Chuck the replacement bolt in a lathe by the threads

3. Use a parting tool to turn down the shank to (maybe 3/16") for about 1/4" from the handle

4. Cut off the handle leaving the 3/16" shank

5. Drill the end of the 14"x26 tpi rod 3/16" (to match the shank on the new bolt)

6. Silver Solder or Braze the two together.

I've done this a couple of times with great success. Sorry, but I can't do the work right now. I'm fighting cancer.

Eric,

Sorry this is late.....

The screw is 1/4" diameter, 1 1/16" long, 26 threads per inch, Cycle thread. I quick Google search for "cycle thread" found dies are available. One possibility, get the threading die. Get a 1/4" bolt with a shank longer than the needed screw. Turn the head of the bolt down to match the original screw. Hard part will be holding the screw to cut the threads. Maybe hold it with a collet? It would be an interesting challenge.

New screws now on both legs. Loose screws shown below legs are old screw on left and new screw on right. The "P" logo is for "Peerless." I suspect the original Savage screws may have been lost years ago by the Canadian army, or the studio armory, or Curt Earl. I suspect that because according to the Peerless website they did not enter business until 1951.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o287/nfacol/LG/DSC00596_zpskqtied1e.jpg

Doug, thank for the information and specs on the screw I need. That BSC (British Standard Cycle thread) is a real obscure one. I was hoping to just find a screw on the loose but I guess this is way more complicated than expected. Not being a machinist type I may have to keep my fingers crossed that someone out there has a trashed bipod they can spare a screw from. I will look into what you advised and see what I can come up with.

Thanks,

Eric

Doug... thanks again for the bipod screw specs. I found someone that is going to make me up a couple of replacements. Now I'm on to both long and short buttstock screws. Any chance you have the specs on the threads for the both buttstock screws? I am going to look into having some of these made up and I just want to confirm the thread specs. Just out of curiosity, where are you getting these specs from?? Fantastic info...

Thanks,

Eric