What to look for in a 1919A4?

I am considering the purchase of a Browning 1919A4 and since my full auto experience is confine to full auto Thompsons and UZI's I would like to be enlightened on the 1919. I found one at a pretty reasonable price that describes it as having a Catco side plate. I don't know if that is good or bad, any advice all advice will be helpful as well as recommended reading material.

I am considering the purchase of a Browning 1919A4 and since my full auto experience is confine to full auto Thompsons and UZI's I would like to be enlightened on the 1919. I found one at a pretty reasonable price that describes it as having a Catco side plate. I don't know if that is good or bad, any advice all advice will be helpful as well as recommended reading material.

The name on the side plate is not as important as the person who actually assembled the box.

Is it mine on Gunspot you're looking at ? :huh:

The one with all the accessories and the matching A6 kit ?

Each gun needs to be judged by itself because of who built it and the shape the kit was in , etc . Catcos had a rep for not working well . My Catco originally did not work . Sent it to a quality builder and he found the side plate was not the problem but rather the bottom plate was all twisted along all three axis . Replacing that solved all the functioning problems . Simple once the problem was ID'd . Anyway , most of them have been fixed over the last 30+ years .

Chris

Is it mine on Gunspot you're looking at ? :huh:

The one with all the accessories and the matching A6 kit ?

Each gun needs to be judged by itself because of who built it and the shape the kit was in , etc . Catcos had a rep for not working well . My Catco originally did not work . Sent it to a quality builder and he found the side plate was not the problem but rather the bottom plate was all twisted along all three axis . Replacing that solved all the functioning problems . Simple once the problem was ID'd . Anyway , most of them have been fixed over the last 30+ years .

Chris

Actually I was looking at the one coming up for sale at the Morphy Auction later this month. It states it has a Richard M. Davis registered side plate. What does that mean if anything?

Sorry Catco was one for sale by David Spiwak for $16750.00. I got then confused. The one at Morphy's is the Richard M. Davis one. Pre auction price is expected to be 12 to 18K. I live near Denver,PA and wonder if ti's worth bidding on.

Edited by Tiz

One thing to keep in mind with these auctions is the buyer's premium. Morphy's has a BP of 20% which not trivial and very high IMO. And it seems to me that bidders often overpay for many items before the BP is even added, NFA oriented or not. Having said this, these auctions sometimes feature items rarely for sale and occasionally very high grade goods. Just expect to pay a premium for it.

One thing to keep in mind with these auctions is the buyer's premium. Morphy's has a BP of 20% which not trivial and very high IMO. And it seems to me that bidders often overpay for many items before the BP is even added, NFA oriented or not. Having said this, these auctions sometimes feature items rarely for sale and occasionally very high grade goods. Just expect to pay a premium for it.

I understand all that, but since I am close by I think attending the auction would be fun and you never know what something might sell for. Agreed, some people get caught up in the excitement of an auction and forget about the BP and just plain pay too much. You need to go in with the attitude that I will bid what its worth to me and if it's worth more to someone else they can have it. There is always another one someday, some where. It's like Ebay, make your max bid what it's worth to you if you get it fine, if not someone else wanted it more than you did.