Talking myself out of my first Thompson

Hello All,

New member of the forum, been lurking and trying to build my knowledge. I was all ready to "pull the trigger" so to speak on my first Thompson but since I can't seem to get exactly what I want I'm leaning away from it.

I've been considering rounding out my collection with what has to be one of the more impractical (yet undeniably sexy) rifles, a Thompson 1927-A1. By far the most frequent complaint attached to this type of rifle is that it's HEAVY. I'm intrigued by the newer offerings from Auto Ordinance that use an aluminum receiver, by the specs it shaves the overall weight from 13lbs down to 9.5lbs.
Regarding the weight, I know that even 9.5lbs is a bit hefty compared to most modern guns, it actually prompted me to see what other common rifles would be in the same weight range.
M1 Garand specs out at 9.5lbs.
FAL is 9.8lbs - 11.3lbs.
M14 at 9.2lbs.
PSL/Romak 3 at 9.5lbs
Dragunov at 9.48
Lee Enfield: 9.24lbs
Mosin Nagant: 7.5-9lbs
STG44: 10lbs
I know I love the solid feel of both my PSL and my FAL, so 9.5lbs isn't really unreasonable. Tacking on another 3-3.5lbs for a steel receiver makes me worry a bit. BIG problem: my dealer has no Thompsons of any flavor, if I order one it has to be sight-unseen, and unfelt. Bit of a gamble for me.
So, I was leaning towards the T5 model:
One of my biggest complaints about that particular model is the unnecessarily long barrel, 18" long with the Cutts compensator. I'd actually prefer the shorter 14.5" barrel available on a few other models (with a permanently affixed Cutts compensator) that brings the overall length back up to 16.5", however that barrel appears to be available only on two models with the heavier steel receiver. I also find it odd that they only offer the removable stock on just a few models, again, only those with steel receivers.
So I called Kahr today, and it was a thoroughly disappointing conversation. Whoever I spoke with was very stubborn, they refuse to do custom work, they will NOT make the shorter barrel available as a spare part, and most infuriating, despite having a full repair facility capable of replacing damaged barrels they would refuse to change out the barrel for me to match my preference, at any cost. No help at all in helping me understand why they still bother with the longer 18" barrel on any model since the shorter barrel is BAFTE approved, nor willing to speculate if anything approaching my request my be added to their line-up. It left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, I won't say I'd refuse to give them my money but I'd part with it a bit more grudgingly considering their attitude towards a potential customer.
Now I'm certain I could track down a few gunsmiths willing to cut and recrown the barrel or replace it, but it would be a costly hassle, especially due to my remote location here in Hawaii.
I can't find much actual user experience with the light weight receiver, I do see a few old posts from years ago where the consensus is to trust the reliability of steel. I can't believe they'd continue making a bum design for at least 5 years with a poor material that couldn't hold up, seems like their aluminum receiver must be proven by now. I know it's not apples to apples but if an AR-10 can fling .308 out of aluminum, 45ACP should be easy.
Can anyone offer any guidance?
Thank you!
Ryan

An AR-10 doesn't take the pounding that the blow-back system on a Thompson has. I prefer the steel receiver for durability. As for dealing with Kahr, find a good Thompson mechanic who knows how to tweak the weapon ... Unless you are very lucky, most AO guns need some fine tuning, and a lot of internal polishing. From the factory the feed ramps are about as smooth as pumice

I went the SBR route with mine, and am pretty happy with it.

post-260006-0-99239200-1526364728_thumb.jpg

Can't speak from experience as I haven't pulled the trigger on getting a SA Thompson either, but as far as weight; it just is part of being a Thompson. I would definitely choose steel over aluminum.

My .02

Andrew

I had dan block install my quick change blank fire barrel and do a few other things. I went to a ww2 reenactment this weekend. I humped it for two days. im 68. oh and it runs like a top with live rounds or blanks. there were about 8 thompsons there. a couple were the Philadelphia ordnance full auto blank fire pretty cool guns my best friend for over 45 years was a marine in vietnam 68-69. after a few moths in country they put him in the CAP program. the marines would secure a village and work out of it. one of the guys in his squad that was rotating home. carried a Thompson. my friend got it from him to use for the rest of his tour. he would mention that gun every once in awhile in our conversations and he always said something about a leather glove he wore. I found out what he was talking about this weekend. I had this tendency to put my thumb up on the barrel just past the edge of the horizontal grip. yeah buddy it was hot..

• Upvote 1

Hey Diddler,

Welcome to the Thompson Semi-Auto Discussion Forum, glad to see you found your way here from Calguns.

Over there I'm Top Shotta HiFi - the member who suggested you ask your Tommy questions here.

Many experts on all things Tommy hang around these parts.

As far as acquiring a Thompson - you might want to check with Dan 'Deerslayer' Block. The last itme I talked to him he had some SA Thompsons for sale that he said he could gussy up with whatever modifications you may want.

I just recently received my West Hurley 1927A1 Thompson back from Dan who performed a number of upgrades:

- Stick Mag Mod - modified the rifle to accept USGI stick mags

- California Modification - modified the rifle so the mag is permanently attached to the gun until the action is broken.

- Replace the too long "proboscis" looking stock barrel with a 14.125" barrel from Green Mountain Barrel - pinned on real Cutts Compensator for an overall length of just over 16" .

- EZ-Pull Springs

- Dan Block custom stock set with his +1.5" horizontal foregrip. (a little trick to help offset the appearance of 'proboscis' looking non-SBR barrels).

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Hello All,

New member of the forum, been lurking and trying to build my knowledge. I was all ready to "pull the trigger" so to speak on my first Thompson but since I can't seem to get exactly what I want I'm leaning away from it.

I've been considering rounding out my collection with what has to be one of the more impractical (yet undeniably sexy) rifles, a Thompson 1927-A1. By far the most frequent complaint attached to this type of rifle is that it's HEAVY. I'm intrigued by the newer offerings from Auto Ordinance that use an aluminum receiver, by the specs it shaves the overall weight from 13lbs down to 9.5lbs.
Regarding the weight, I know that even 9.5lbs is a bit hefty compared to most modern guns, it actually prompted me to see what other common rifles would be in the same weight range.
M1 Garand specs out at 9.5lbs.
FAL is 9.8lbs - 11.3lbs.
M14 at 9.2lbs.
PSL/Romak 3 at 9.5lbs
Dragunov at 9.48
Lee Enfield: 9.24lbs
Mosin Nagant: 7.5-9lbs
STG44: 10lbs
I know I love the solid feel of both my PSL and my FAL, so 9.5lbs isn't really unreasonable. Tacking on another 3-3.5lbs for a steel receiver makes me worry a bit. BIG problem: my dealer has no Thompsons of any flavor, if I order one it has to be sight-unseen, and unfelt. Bit of a gamble for me.
So, I was leaning towards the T5 model:
One of my biggest complaints about that particular model is the unnecessarily long barrel, 18" long with the Cutts compensator. I'd actually prefer the shorter 14.5" barrel available on a few other models (with a permanently affixed Cutts compensator) that brings the overall length back up to 16.5", however that barrel appears to be available only on two models with the heavier steel receiver. I also find it odd that they only offer the removable stock on just a few models, again, only those with steel receivers.
So I called Kahr today, and it was a thoroughly disappointing conversation. Whoever I spoke with was very stubborn, they refuse to do custom work, they will NOT make the shorter barrel available as a spare part, and most infuriating, despite having a full repair facility capable of replacing damaged barrels they would refuse to change out the barrel for me to match my preference, at any cost. No help at all in helping me understand why they still bother with the longer 18" barrel on any model since the shorter barrel is BAFTE approved, nor willing to speculate if anything approaching my request my be added to their line-up. It left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, I won't say I'd refuse to give them my money but I'd part with it a bit more grudgingly considering their attitude towards a potential customer.
Now I'm certain I could track down a few gunsmiths willing to cut and recrown the barrel or replace it, but it would be a costly hassle, especially due to my remote location here in Hawaii.
I can't find much actual user experience with the light weight receiver, I do see a few old posts from years ago where the consensus is to trust the reliability of steel. I can't believe they'd continue making a bum design for at least 5 years with a poor material that couldn't hold up, seems like their aluminum receiver must be proven by now. I know it's not apples to apples but if an AR-10 can fling .308 out of aluminum, 45ACP should be easy.
Can anyone offer any guidance?
Thank you!
Ryan

Ryan

Welcome to the board.

You have gotten some good advice already concerning a shortened barrel from Dan Block.

Aside from the weight, a 16" bbl throws the balance off. I quickly sold the 1927A1 that I bought many years ago because they feel so nose heavy.

Perhaps the pinned 14.5 would be OK, but I much prefer an SBR with the original length bbl and no compensator.

Unfortunately SBR is not an option for those of us here behind enemy lines in the PRK, so going with a 14.125" barrel and a welded on Cutts comp is about as good as it gets...

I take solace knowing that my Thompson will be SBRd some day after I finally cut bait and bug out of the land of fruits and nuts!

Edited by Macho Hambre

Didler,

I bought barrels from GunpartsCorp, a front sight and had barrels swapped out using the Lightweight Kahr models.

Not a bog deal for any gunsmith

I did both a Lightweight M1 and another to a M1927 so it would look like a true M1928. Both with 11 inch barrels

were NFA and require stamps but with an alloy receiver and short barrel , It feels so right!!!

If you want to get serious I can guide you thru the process. And I sold off the origiinal barrels to defray the cost.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21231&hl=

I have a TM1C which is currently at the factory for the second time. The first time they just gave it a "quick" trip to the part swappers bench, hopefully this time it will go to someone who can address the issues more completely. The jury is still out on this one so I can't say if the alum receiver is at fault but if I had a do over I would go with the steel. The extra weight is not a large factor to me since it's just a range fun gun & I don't have to carry it far or for long. It is clear that they have quality control issues, they seem to want to sling them out as fast as possible & let the customer sort out the problems later. I've never had so much trouble out of a gun, new or used. At this point I can't say in retrospect that I wouldn't buy it because it has been a long time itch that simply had to be scratched. Welcome & good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Ryan,

Except for the gun thing, "Lucky You Live Hawaii." I grew up in Kaneohe and Honolulu, and graduated from Punahou. I'd love to live there again, maybe 3 months out of the year. Where are you?

If Dan Block (Deerslayer) has any semi-auto Thompsons available, definitely go with him. Otherwise, buy one, and send it to him to make it better.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 3 weeks later...