Sarco Thompson Repro 50 Drum Quality?

I'm new to the Thompson life, I've got a Savage and it needs a drum.

I've have heard and read that quality is all over the place.

I'm not going to be able to afford an original anytime soon, so I'm down to a Kahr or a Sarco.

The Sarco is 160 and the Kahr is around 240.

I don't know whose quality and support for issues may be better.

thanks!

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/thompson-50-round.aspx

https://www.natchezss.com/kahr-arms-thompson-smg-magazine-45-acp-50-rd-drum.html

Edited by Baker1425

• 3 months later...

Is this the same one Gun Parts Corp is selling?

In addition I recently read, and I wish I could remember where, that at a recent shoot a new Taiwan repo C drum was tested with a couple of 100 round dumps and it worked perfectly. I wonder if these 50's are from the same source. If anyone has read the same test please refresh my memory.

Edited by Tiz

Is this the same one Gun Parts Corp is selling?

In addition I recently read, and I wish I could remember where, that at a recent shoot a new Taiwan repo C drum was tested with a couple of 100 round dumps and it worked perfectly. I wonder if these 50's are from the same source. If anyone has read the same test please refresh my memory.

the L drum at Sarco or Gun Parts Corp is the same Taiwanese drum

and they run beautifully . I have 1 from either source .

And GPC has free shipping as well as a liberal return policy if, by chance, you have a problem.

Edited by Tiz

The Taiwanese Crosby repro drums are first class instruments and run great, but are not greased from the factory. Owners of these drums would be wise to pack them with grease so as not to prematurely wear them out. Other threads on the board describe a tool used to correctly pack the new drums.

Chief762

Edited by Chief762

If you mail the GB guy a check even with the shipping you would save almost $18. Just sayn

He has a website too. No GB fees there. I'll see if I have it saved somewhere. Nice guy too. Lotsa surplus.

If you mail the GB guy a check even with the shipping you would save almost $18. Just sayn

He has a website too. No GB fees there. I'll see if I have it saved somewhere. Nice guy too. Lotsa surplus.
I bought a drum from him and was very satisfied with the transaction.

Please post his web site. This would also save him the GB fee. I would be very interested in buying from him directly.

The Taiwanese Crosby repro drums are first class instruments and run great, but are not greased from the factory. Owners of these drums would be wise to pack them with grease so as not to prematurely wear them out. Other threads on the board describe a tool used to correctly pack the new drums.

Chief762

Thanks for that bit of info. Can you point me to the thread on the greasing tool, I can't seem to find that thread.

I have 2 Kahr L drums recently purchased .The rivets that secure the name plate are too wide making the drum impossible to load into gun. Essentially these drums are too wide.They look great but mine are totally non functional . Hopefully they will take them back.The Crosby repros sound much better!

Tiz,

Check with GUTTERATT, a member on the Boards. He had some drum greasing tools he had made that were for sale a couple of years ago. Failing that, some generous board member might loan you one, as they did me. Once the drum is greased, it'll never need it again. Hope this helps.

Chief762

Tiz,

Check with GUTTERATT, a member on the Boards. He had some drum greasing tools he had made that were for sale a couple of years ago. Failing that, some generous board member might loan you one, as they did me. Once the drum is greased, it'll never need it again. Hope this helps.

Chief762

Roger that, and thanks very much

I've still got the greaser that I made, though one in the continental US may be cheaper on the shipping.

http://www.fototime.com/A0378FA3C762B22/standard.jpg

It appears that you machined it yourself, correct? What material did you use, steel or aluminum. I never thought of making one until I saw yours. Daaaaaaaaah!