1927-a3 Reliability

I appreciate all the questions You guys have answered for Me in the last week. I have one more. How reliable are the A3 22 semi's and what problems might I expect. I hope You guy's don't think less of Me for Buying a semi auto 22 but I don't own any full auto's because of the obvious price which I can't afford. I actually could have bought a 45 caliber semi as I had the money but I REALLY love 22's especially on My limited budget. The one I bought has the straight 45 stick mag with insert and just looked so good I couldn't resist. I really like the military Thompsons and plan on having the cutts put OVER the barrel like on the project X gun and putting a horizontal forearm on it to give it a more military appearance. Kind of a pricey rabbit gun but I just love it! Might buy a 45 version later. My first Thompson is actually a Marui Airsoft that I bought all GI surplus wood for and hollowed out the grip and buttstock for the battery but it all fit perfect. But I am moving up!

Maverick

Not necessarily. Sorry you didn’t get any responses.

The 22’s are a lot of fun to shoot, I have considered one on several occasions just because of that.

Like them all, there can be functional problems, but I never worried about that because I can fix ‘um. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

A bigger concern was magazines. Now that the ban has lapsed, I hope more of the Italian ‘banana’ mags will be imported or made, they seem to be the best. It might be interesting to convert some of the 50 rd Ruger mags.

Bottom line; if it works, enjoy it. If it doesn’t, get it fixed and then enjoy it.

Thanks,

I may just do the range report. I have looked all over the web and there really is not much written about this gun. Not even general take down information. I will post more on this after I do some testing. It shoots flawlessly with CCI mini mags but it seems that everything I own in 22 functions well with mini mags. I have some other 22 ammo I can try and see if any problems develop. I was just afraid I bought a peice of crap and You guys were too kind to tell Me.

Thanks

Maverick

I had one several years ago. I put several thousand rounds down range with it and had a ball. It was indeed cheap to shoot compared to the FA .45's. I think it was #T2465. If I find a picture I'll post it. The only problem I remember was if you let it get dirty, it would jam and mis-fire. If it was kept oiled it ran like a champ. There was some ammo it didn't like, but neither did my Ruger 10/22. So it wasn't the gun but the ammo. I think I gave $250 or $300 for mine with 2 30 round mags.

Maverick, I've got one and used all three types of magazines. The straight sticks seems the best, followed by the drums for me. I've got three of the bannanna mags and none sit at exactly the right height in the adaptor, a project for a rainy day to get them working. If I hold one in exactly the right place, it feeds very smoothly.

One thing to watch for is leading in the compensator. It builds up pretty fast in my gun.

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ Sep 22 2004, 10:39 PM)
Ah ha! Found it. It's not very good but it's all I got.

http://www.mikesmachineguns.com/files/1927_A3_w-2_30rd_clips.jpg

That is identical to mine except all I have is the stick type mags.

I do want to try and put a military type forearm on it and see if the guys at the machine shop in town can put the compensator over the barrel to kind of fool the eye into making the barrel look shorter. I will still keep the vertical grip for when I am in the mood for it. I just like the looks of the stick mags as they look more like the G.I. gun. (I like the military Thompsons) Id like to buy some more stick mags if anyone knows where they can be found. GPC is sold out of them. I thought this would satisfy My Thompson urge but I may have to buy a 45 semi next spring as this seems to just increase the desire for another one rather than satisfy it.

Maverick