Reising Model 50 Bolt Failures

Bridgeport28A1

I thought I would start a thread on Reising Model 50 SMG bolt failures since I am aware of one other bolt failure. Please list your serial number of your SMG if you believe your bolt is original to the SMG to see if we can determiner if there is a serial number range of bad bolts.

Bolt failure from Model 50 serial number 111068

Is this bolt repairable by some type of welding....TIG, MIG....some other type of welding?

Edited by Bridgeport28A1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Serial # 9199. My bolt broke last month. Not sure what the ‘same manner’ is that everyone is talking about. On mine, the bottom rear portion at the operating rod bevel broke off. Luckily I had another one, and with some polishing, it fits and works perfectly. Now to try and find some replacements.

Reising Bolt Failures

Bump to the top. Added 106251

I note that no "Letter Prefix" Reising serial numbers, made in the 1950s are on the broken bolt list. MAYBE they fixed the problem by that time (?) I have a S-prefix serial number (1957mfg) Reising that I bought (new-unfired) in 1988 (for $595.00), and admittedly, I have not fired it a lot but it still has the original bolt, I have broken a few firing pins. Just to silence a few internet rumors about Numrich "making" the S prefix Reisings, this one came from H&R's asset reduction sale in 1985 along with 66 M16A1 rifles and 29 M14s. It was an asset reduction sale not a bankruptcy auction another internet rumor. The ATF form, and attached sheets listing the s/n for all the guns was dated 3/85, H&R continued in business until 1986 when all the remaining assets were sold to another gun company (whose name escapes me at the moment).

Reising Bolt Failures

I note that no "Letter Prefix" Reising serial numbers, made in the 1950s are on the broken bolt list. MAYBE they fixed the problem by that time (?) I have a S-prefix serial number (1957mfg) Reising that I bought (new-unfired) in 1988 (for $595.00), and admittedly, I have not fired it a lot but it still has the original bolt, I have broken a few firing pins. Just to silence a few internet rumors about Numrich "making" the S prefix Reisings, this one came from H&R's asset reduction sale in 1985 along with 66 M16A1 rifles and 29 M14s. It was an asset reduction sale not a bankruptcy auction another internet rumor. The ATF form, and attached sheets listing the s/n for all the guns was dated 3/85, H&R continued in business until 1986 when all the remaining assets were sold to another gun company (whose name escapes me at the moment).

Frank, thank you for the input and some facts on the H&R sale. You should write a book....that last comment was meant as humor.

Reising Bolt Failures

Frank, thank you for the input and some facts on the H&R sale. You should write a book....that last comment was meant as humor.

Actually when I recently updated my M14 book, I did a lot of research on the so-called H&R auction, because a number of transferable M14 rifles and M16A1s were sold. I found newspaper articles from that period, talked to people who bought guns from H&R in that sale, and obtained the court records. They had filed for Chapter 11, and the court gave them permission to sell some assets so they could remain in business, make payroll etc. It was called an asset reduction sale. One person bought a LOT of the guns, and I was lucky enough to find someone who had copies of the transfer forms. C3 dealer R.J. Perry eventually obtained and sold a number of the M14s and M16s. The H&R M14s sold for $4k the US PROPERTY marked M16s were $2750.00. BTW I have retired from book writing, just writing articles now and then.

BTW

I wrote to Indianapolis Ordnance, who offers all type of hard to get subgun parts, asking them to consider making Reising bolts, action bars and firing pins.

MAYBE if they receive enough requests they will make Reising parts.

https://www.indianapolisordnance.com/products.html

Contact Indianapolis Ordnance Email sales@indianapolisordnance.com