• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4791 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:03 PM

I would choose the 21A, assuming all is well with it.

David

#22 ppgcowboy

ppgcowboy

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Guns, aviation, didgeridoo, banjo, metal detecting.

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:54 PM

Bottom line, if they are all correct, you need to pick the one that has the character and flaws, aka, dings scratches and blemishes, that you can live with. You need to consider the cost on each and what is the most bang for your buck. So, which one will bring you the most joy as its new owner. Which one feels right as you hold it and look at it. Thats the one you pick.
Personally, I have a 28 Navy so I would look at the others. You have a choice, choose wisely.

#23 ron_brock

ron_brock

Respected Member

• 1925 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:03 AM

I like the look, feeling and way the 21A shoots. That said, my gun is an AC as the history of the gun was fitting for what I wanted. However since I shoot it occasionally, I took off the original barrel with Type 1 comp and installed a PK 21A barrel for shooting.

Choose wisely but also realize you will love whatever you decide because it will eventually be sitting in your gun safe!

Ron

#24 Rimcrew

Rimcrew

• Board Benefactor
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:37 PM

I was able to disassemble them today and the 21A and 28N look very good internally.  The only non-Colt part I could see was the bolt for the 21A, it is a Savage.

Is this a deal breaker?  How much would a Colt bolt cost, or can they even be found.

The actuators for both are in a bag in a parts box, presumably for safe keeping should he fire the guns.  The Navy is a two-piece actuator - I was excited to see that.

The barrels appear to be original, I can see no evidence of the sight pins being removed, they both have 29 fins, the grip frame rests on number 21, and the comps and barrels have similar wear to the receiver.  Anything else I should look for to determine barrel originality?

TD's book arrived today and was VERY helpful.  Thank you sir!

#25 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2709 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:00 PM

What about the actuator in the 21A? It didnt look like an original Colt part in the picture?

#26 Rimcrew

Rimcrew

• Board Benefactor
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:54 PM

What about the actuator in the 21A? It didnt look like an original Colt part in the picture?

All three original actuators are in zip lock bags in a parts box. 

Each 21 has an aftermarket actuator in it now, but the original is in a bag.  The 28N has a GI actuator and buffer pilot, but all the originals are also in a baggie.  The 28N does appear to have the original bolt as it has the more rounded end, and there are no markings on it.

The only original part I could not find was the bolt for the 21A.

A nice bonus find is a shot shell magazine.  I could not believe is was tucked away in the parts box.

Edited by Rimcrew, 13 June 2019 - 09:55 PM.

#27 ppgcowboy

ppgcowboy

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 885 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:05 PM

On the 28 Navy bolt, would there appear to be a X stamped under were the blish lock when properly placed would be? It has been discussed in the following link.

Edited by ppgcowboy, 13 June 2019 - 10:12 PM.

#28 Rimcrew

Rimcrew

• Board Benefactor
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:11 PM

On the 28 Navy bolt, would there appear to be a X stamped were the blish lock when properly placed would cover? This was recently discussed.
<http://www.machinegu...lt +with +stamp>

I didn't look for that.  I'll check the next time I can go fondle them.

#29 ppgcowboy

ppgcowboy

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 885 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:15 PM

Here is the thread

Colt Thompson SN# 2450 topic.

http://www.machinegu...lt +with +stamp

#30 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2709 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:03 AM

All three original actuators are in zip lock bags in a parts box. 

Each 21 has an aftermarket actuator in it now, but the original is in a bag.  The 28N has a GI actuator and buffer pilot, but all the originals are also in a baggie.  The 28N does appear to have the original bolt as it has the more rounded end, and there are no markings on it.

The only original part I could not find was the bolt for the 21A.

A nice bonus find is a shot shell magazine.  I could not believe is was tucked away in the parts box.

Rimcrew,

Yeah, Tom's book comes in handy, doesn't it?  I thought you might have meant that there were additional parts stored separately.  Thanks, your last post clears it up.

#31 Merry Ploughboy

Merry Ploughboy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1060 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:09 AM

FWIW, I bought a used complete Colt bolt from the late Gordon Herigstad ten or more years ago for $750.

#32 Rimcrew

Rimcrew

• Board Benefactor
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:22 AM

FWIW, I bought a used complete Colt bolt from the late Gordon Herigstad ten or more years ago for $750.

Thanks, that at least gives me something to go on.