Are there really only 75 fully transferable M3 "Grease" guns?

Nobody knows for sure. As far as the ratio between the two models registered, that too is a mystery as production numbers bear no relationship to actual registrations. The M3A1 was made in far greater numbers, and is more recent so one would logically think that perhaps it would command a lead in registration. But who knows! And remember, just because one sees more of one type or another come up for sale does not mean there are more of that type in collector hands. 

3 hours ago, John in IN said:

From pinned post at the top of this section.

GL M3 = 606,694

GL M3A1 = 82,281

Don't know on the Ithaca made M3A1's.

John

Fellow forum members, if these numbers are correct, (which i have no reason to doubt) then I stand corrected. But I wonder, were the M3's converted to M3A1's? I ask this because clearly the cocking handle was identified as an issue with the gun performance, and post WW2, only M3A1's were made and used from then till the mid 90's. 

With the relative costs of the M3........and not seeing any MWOs to change them from M3s to M3A1s.......and that they stayed so long in "inventory" as we saw these mixed in service at the time...........I doubt that M3s were converted to M3A1s.

Look at it this way.........you would not only need the M3A1 bolt-assemblies and lower housing-cover..........but the ability to remove the old part of the shorter M3 ejection-port-cover-hinge attached to the receiver.........then lengthen the ejection port........then drill new rearward mounting-holes......and rivet on a longer M3A1 hinge. Just seems like too much work for the costs for the M3.

You may be able to locate an M3A1 that was converted by a previous owner though.........just look for the closer rivet-holes in the receiver for the shorter M3 ejection port cover hinge.

The M3A1 was kept in inventory, in use, beyond 1986.

This is most likely the reason there are few of them in the registry.

I do remember seeing at least 1 M3 still in use by the Army '80-'83 time frame, so there could have been more still in use.

Almost all that I saw were M3A1s.

On 11/18/2022 at 9:57 AM, GUNGUY45 said:

The M3A1 was kept in inventory, in use, beyond 1986.

This is most likely the reason there are few of them in the registry.

I do remember seeing at least 1 M3 still in use by the Army '80-'83 time frame, so there could have been more still in use.

Almost all that I saw were M3A1s.

When I reported into my Armor unit at Fort Carson in 1979 (4/40th) we had M3 SMG's, 2 per tank.
Up until that point (in training at Fort Knox) I had only handled M3A1's.
The unit had stood up about a year earlier and all the 1911's we had were marked "ANAD" as that is where they had been rebuilt.
I only saw a few M3A1's at Fort Carson.
On a side note, at GUNNERY one of the tank tables had the loader engage infantry silhouettes using the M3 "Grease Gun" firing from the loaders hatch while the tank was on the move.  I expended both magazines and managed NOT to shoot holes in the sponson boxes on that side of the tank.
When I reported into the 4/73rd Armor in Germany (1980) we all had 2 M3A1 "Grease Guns" in each tank (Driver and Loader had stowage for the guns in their positions)
The M88A1 recovery vehicle carried 2 "Grease Guns" (as well as the 4 tube M202 rocket launcher) and the first M1 tanks I saw in Germany had stowage for the "Grease Guns"
I know those WW2 and Korean war produced guns were still in use in the first Gulf War.

I loved shooting the "Grease Gun" at the range, it was controllable and fun to shoot / easy to clean.

I bought my M3 from Bob Landies...

Richard

....My tank battalion, of M60A3 tanks in Wildflecken had two M-3A1 Grease guns per tank. (1987)....That Bn, the 1/68 Armor went to the middle east in the Pers/Gulf war, with those M-3A1 Grease guns in those tanks........

...Of course going back much further , in another theater of war, we had a combination of the M-3 and the M-3a1s on our M-48A3 tanks in Viet Nam. (1968), A Trp, 1/1 Cavalry.......We tankers did rely on the Grease gun, when we had to dismount and clear a village, with the scouts in the platoon, who carried the M-16 rifle.

.....I have a M-3A1 Grease gun......I did find the parts necessary, bolt, under assembly to convert it, at any time to the M-3 configuration.  (got parts on Numerich arms)....I do like the Crank on the M-3 set- up though, and have it that way now.

viet nam-my tank-feb-69.jpg

So, I was 8th ID stationed at Coleman Barracks (Mannheim) from 1982-1986. Although I was mechanized infantry, our sister units with M60 A3 had grease guns that they let us shoot. 

we also had the M202 "Flash" but in my whole time there, even running ranges in Baumholder, we never got to shoot it. 

• 3 months later...

My M3A1 was lurchased as a pre sample, but came the on a form 4. Alas, an inquiry to NFA Branch showed they have it as a pre sample. Oh well, it's original anyway.  As for last use, I seem to recall reading they were in use in Desert Storm and possibly later by tank crews.