French MAS-38 SMG

timkel

I picked up a French MAS-38 parts kit. It is an odd ball SMG caliber 32Long. Just finished a dummy build to hang on the wall. Receiver is aluminum.

Mas38kit001.jpg

MAS38kit004.jpg

MAS38kit006.jpg

MAS38kit008.jpg

MAS38kit010.jpg

MAS38kit011.jpg

Edited by timkel
  • Upvote 1

I have one, but I don't need any parts. Ammo is a problem. I have found some 7.65 French long form Buffalo Arms. But the problem is they use a jacketed bullet with an exposed a soft lead nose. I would get FTF after a few rounds, due to the soft lead hitting the feed ramp and deforming.

I always liked this weapon. It is so ugly it is beautiful. Back in the 80's I saw a fully transferrable one in nice shape for $800.00 or so. The seller even included the dies for 32L. Still I passed on it due to the odd caliber. Edited by timkel

Question,- is the 7.65 French long the same as the 30 cal pedersen cartridge.???

Can they be made from 32 H&R long brass??

Jim C

There is a good deal of discussion of the MAS38 over on the weapons guild forum. They say you can cut down the rim on a 32 S&W long case to make the French 32 Long. Edited by timkel

Question,- is the 7.65 French long the same as the 30 cal pedersen cartridge.???

Can they be made from 32 H&R long brass??

Jim C

Dimensionally they are extremely close. However, the .30 Pederson has a slight bevel on the rim. This caused feeding issues with the Pederson Device we were shooting at the range.

• 2 weeks later...