Browning BMR BAR 1918 1918A2

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ssjtristan

Ssjtristan

• Regular Group
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 05:08 PM

Hello forum,  I have recently purchased this Colt demilled BMR receiver from an auction.  Its darn rusty on the inside and pretty pitted, as you can see from the close up of the markings.  The charging handle more or less holds the rear end on.  My question to the forum is what to do about the rust.  I have soaked it in WD40 and cleaned that off with contact cleaner then covered it in gun oil.  I'm not sure that will keep it from rusting further.  I want to try and preserve it as best I can but I'm afraid the rust will just keep advancing.  

So I would think my choices would be to keep it oiled as is or go the other extreme and clean it with some sort of rust cleaning solution and have it reblued for protection.  I know to some that is sacrilege and should be left alone.  BUT it is rusting and needs protection.  When I received it, it looks like something was done to the outside as the pits are clean but the inside was left alone.  At the moment I'm leaning toward do nothing to it, just keep it oiled.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Why bother with this?  Because i'm a history nerd and enjoy these these things.  I want it protected and not forgotten.  

Attached Files

#2 BillyDixon

BillyDixon

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:14 PM

actually it dont look hopeless,,are you in u.s. ? just wondering

#3 shadycon

shadycon

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 841 posts
  • Interests:Surviving modern times

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:30 AM

Clean and coat with Ospho.

#4 jl7422

jl7422

Long Time Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:11 AM

Soak it in non-synthetic transmission fluid. WD-40 won't so the trick.

#5 BillyDixon

BillyDixon

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:06 PM

u- tube has severial informative videos on rust removial and restoreing heavy rusted firearms,,,look them up, just sayn

#6 Ssjtristan

Ssjtristan

• Regular Group
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:30 AM

I have done a lot of research on cleaning but not sure if I should attempt a restore like a reblue or leave it as is.

#7 StrangeRanger

StrangeRanger

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 949 posts
  • Interests:"Easy money, faithless women, red-eye whiskey for the pain"

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:14 PM

IMO don't refinish it. Its value is as a relic. Making it all shiny and new sort of defeats that.

#8 BPinFL

BPinFL

• Board Benefactor
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:18 AM

I second the Ospho treatment, then coat with gun oil. Don't refinish

#9 damifino

damifino

• Regular Group
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:25 AM

Hi Ssjtristan, try this. Coat with Fluid Film, wipe down, repeat every few months. Fluid Film will eventually season the metal and preserve it as it is. It will be sticky when wet and takes a long time to dry, but nearly invisible when dry.

#10 Ssjtristan

Ssjtristan

• Regular Group
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will keep it as a relic. I was afraid to do anything permanent to it.
I had to look into the rust converter stuff that was mentioned. Never knew that existed! Looking into the fluid film as well. Thanks again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Browning, BMR, BAR, 1918, 1918A2