Rock Island Auction Coming Up

Rock Island Will be auctioning off on Saturday 5 Thompsons

4 are Colts and one is a M1 WW2.

With Prices being soft right now IMO

it will be interesting to see what they bring.

It just seems nothing is selling like it used to

This one may overcome the "buy the gun not the story" rule

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/75/2585/fully-automatic-thompson-colt-model-1921-class-iiinfa-cr

This is IMHO the star of the show and will definitely test how soft prices really are

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/75/2586/fully-automatic-colt-r80-monitor-bar-machine-gun

Assuming it can be rewatted this one is a steal if it goes for their expected price but I'm betting it won't

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/75/2578/bsa-world-war-i-british-model-1914-mkii-class-iii

I am betting the rewat will bring almost as much as a non rewat at this auction. They have changed the price to a

reserve staring price at the last minute at the last auction and they sold way high, IMHO

I think a rewat sten went for $6k or maybe more last time and originally stated $2500-$3500 range

Maybe the market will speak differently now

Hammered prices:

2572-->65k (Marlin Rockwell BAR)

2574-->20k (BAR)

2580-->42.5k (1921/1928 overstamp)

2584-->60K (Maremont M60)

2585-->60k (Pretty Boy Floyd associated Thompson 21C: seems like buy the gun not the story prevailed)

2586-->100k (Colt Monitor)

2587-->60K (Nice finish 21C)

2594-->27.5k (PD Thompson 21C)

2595-->65k (original AK47)

2610-->32.5k (MP43/44)

2611-->25k (MP43/44)

2612-->60k (STG-44 with scope)

2613-->20k (Steyr BNZ 42 MP40)

Seems like sale prices overall are a little soft with some right in line.

if anyone would like to offer me $30k for my beretta 38/44 original condition id consider it???

was that Hitlers private 38/42 shooter?

they dont sell for $11,500 these days.....they have sold as low as $7500...where does $50k come from

mp40's have been selling for $20k mixed parts for a year now...the market has been strong on them

but no one wants the 38/42's that ive seen come up

Edited by huggytree

That is correct. I just listed the hammer prices not including BP. The M1 I did see but forgot to post went for I believe 27 or 27.5k.

Did Lot # 2575 AOC M1 Thompson sell or do the Allan Cors collection firearms sell at a later time from the other Class 3?

The hammered prices listed above do not include the buyers premium....correct?

jim c 351, on 01 Dec 2018 - 19:39, said:

Seems like someone got a great deal on the Lewis.

Depends on how you define deal? 11=13K by the time you get it home. The last one I got out of there under 9K with premium, course that was few years ago.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johnson,

Once I bought a brand new Ford for $2500.00.

Jim C

Far as I could tell, no “bargains” at today’s Class III items at RIA. $50 k for a Beretta 38/42 and $22.5k for a MP40 mixed parts gun? What am I missing...

The Beretta 38/42 is the rarer fluted barrel with the 4UT marking on the stock (I have one I believe to be all original):

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/75/2617/beretta-3842-submachine-gun-fully-automatic

Could be someone wanted for his collection.

I wouldn't consider this marking to be particularly rare.....not to the tune of quadrupling the price of the gun? If it's Mussolini's personal stamp, he apparently stamped a lot of guns?

Again 13K for the lewis is no screaming deal IMO, and apparently no one else thought so either? Not to worry, it will be reactivated and likely a decent butt stock put on it. If you think it's worth 16K PM me and it's yours. LOL

20181202_0849451.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Jim,

I personally have not sold there.

Lets take a look at what happens though... for example, you have a $30K Thompson (example only). The auction house will add a seller's commission to the sale - I assume it is around 10% I know it varies with the value of the gun but lets use 10%. Then they will add that damn Bidder's premium at the sale of the gun, so (for example use 18% BP). Now, to get your $30K in your pocket, it has to hammer for $33,333. That means there was a seller willing to pay $39,333 after adding the 18% BP.

My example shows that the gun has to actually sell for 31% more than if you were to sell it yourself.

I know there are arguments that the auction house gets a better audience, takes better pics, and some feel like they lend credibility to the sale. Probably all true, in most cases. But 31% is a lot!

Good luck....