ATF contact for sbr application.

Mailed my sbr application to them May 6, 2019. Haven't heard a thing from them. Anybody have a number or email where I could get up with them to see what’s happening with my application? This would be my second sbr. Just spent a while looking on their website for a contact but didn’t see anything about current application inquiries. 10 months is a long time.

Look on ATF website. There is a help # for NFA questions. They will need the serial # of the piece in question.

My efile Form 1 took just over 3 weeks to be approved ! Efile is the way to go if the system is up and runnig right.

Just as a point of reference, my last paper-filed Form 4 (silencer) took exactly 375 days (1 year, 10 days) from ATF marking it "received" to actually having my suppressor in hand.

My first suppressor (paper-filed) took about 4 months.

I've been told that you cannot e-file a Form 4. Is this correct?

The phone number for status checking is: 304-616-4500. Have your serial number handy because they will ask you for it right away.

Hope this helps...

FWIW, I just had a paper F4 approved (trust application)

Check cashed 5/9/2019

Approved 3/11/2020

It will prob 1-2 more weeks until the stamp physically shows up...

Very similar timeframe as your

this is why I don't do sbr any more. I don't have enough time left on this earth to waste on the atf. my first took 6 months, second 9 months and the last one I sold , a ppsh41 took 14 months. maybe if they got paid after they did the work they would move faster. my Thompson is used mostly for ww2 reenacting so I have the quick change barrel setup.from blank fire short, to live fire long. the cool factor of a sbr lost its magic. but just because its not for me doesn't mean its not for you. now, I will say this, when I called to check my status, every agent I spoke to was extremely polite. have your numbers ready. good luck with your waiting period

Thanks for the encouragement Peter. I’ll be 69 next month so I have a few more years...maybe. This will probably be the last one for me too.

Edited by Baltimoreed11754

im gonna be 70 this year.. much respect to the atf , they are probably understaffed plus they really want to know who they are dealing with. I asked the agent why it took so long for my third one. he said theat it didn't matter how many I had they have to always start at the beginning and work their way through your life. guess it keeps us all safe. good luck

Well, a letter from the ATF came today BUT [always a but] it was to correct two errors that I had on my application. They didn’t like it where I added ‘Model of’ and the ‘#’ mark in the Model of and s/n sections so I xxxed them out on both forms and initialed the changes. Will mail it off this afternoon. Hope this puts me in a shorter line for corrected applications. Couldn’t they have done that and dropped me a line to tell me? Not like it changes anything. Next time [doubtful] I’ll efile as now I have a MacBook.

• 1 month later...

Surprise! My sbr paperwork has finally returned! A year and a day but had it not needed correcting it would have been here in March. Onward and upward.

5-8-20 Just mailed my Thompson and parts off to be sbr’ed. Can’t wait. Going to have a 1928 take down installed too so I’ve bought a complete stock slide, stock and buttplate for when it returns.

5-13-20 Rifle safely made it to the Dan. My 1928 savage stock and 1917 enfield buttplate have come in so I’m fitting the plate to the stock. 30.00 +ship for the plate and stock vs 119.00 for a rough 1928 Thompson buttplate. The only one that I could find. Having to bend the plate some and inlet it. The screw holes will have to be moved and it’s just a bit wide and a tad short but will work. Waiting on the Netherlands’ 1928 stock slide to arrive.
The top screw hole lined up pretty close but the bottom will have to be plugged and redrilled back into the stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan has my gun done and mailing it back Monday. Hope my takedown stock is done by the time it arrives. Thats his try stock.

5-21 got my rifle back today. Dan did a great job. Did the e-z takedown rail milling, redid my rear sight with solid rivets instead of pop rivets, the 1928 takedown stock work and of course swapped bbls and installed the cutts. Outstanding work. Still waiting for the stock slide. I put 10 rds through it as a pistol, awkward but ‘it will keel’. When it’s all together I’ll post photos. Might have a line on a violin case to complete the build.

post-259674-0-74240800-1589734841_thumb.jpeg