M16 Serial Number Question

I have a similar gun about 100 numbers off yours. These guns are likely early Colt 604's or 614's before Colt designated the model numbers. The fact that they are not marked U.S. Property tends to lean them to the very 1st police and civilian guns available. However I have heard that some of the early guns that went overseas to Vietnam advisers, the air force and a few other countries were also not U.S.property marked so it may be impossible to know where the gun was first issued. I am by no means an expert on this subject as these guns are not my specialty.

Here are a few pics of mine, I'm guessing that yours has similar characteristics. A 605 upper, 20" barrel with early 3 prong muzzle. Post some pictures of yours and we can compare, these are actually pretty rare guns, it would nice to see another one like mine.

Mike H.

AR15  L. Side.jpg

AR15 r.side.jpg

AR R.Side full.jpg

The person that sold me the rifle stated that very low 15,000 serial number guns were issued to the Air Force. I carried a M16 in Vietnam and wanted a gun from the late 60's.It is my understanding that US property marked rifles are almost impossible to buy. I paid $24,000 two month ago and from talking to various collectors that is the going price. The model number is a 604 for 15,000 serial numbers.

Edited by drmustang66

• 5 months later...

post-206-0-84350200-1562628143_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-99044500-1562627809_thumb.jpg

Here is my best friend during Desert Shield/Storm, Colt M16 (not A1) serial # 313135. Carried/lived with her for seven months and never chambered a round! Note the luxurious USAF living accommodations. 31st Medical Group.

While over there I had in my hands (fondled) Colt serial # 00009. It was assigned to the 1st Medical Group.

• 2 months later...

John, thanks for posting that document, I have never seen it before. Do you recall where it came from, I wonder how accurate it is? I don't believe that this document has ever surfaced on the AR15.com site as far as I know.

Mike Hammer

Mike, I got that document a few years ago from a full auto AR15 for sale ad on Bowers board. The seller had posted it as a way of explaining where these guns came from I guess. The serial number on his gun was very close to mine. I sent him a message about it but he never replied. Although not a pristine copy of the document, what you can see of the letterhead at the top looks consistent with "Colt Industries" logo of the time period. Cars are my other hobby and I remember seeing that same letterhead on Holley carb instruction sheets back in the day. :)

Holley was part of Colt for a time back then.

John

John, here is the 1st page of the AR15 serial numbers list that is usually encountered. The number ranges are about the same as your list but there is perhaps greater detail in the breakdown. It still is impossible to determine where my 15XXX serial numbered gun was first issued. Colt will not research this for me either as this is a class 3 firearm.

Mike Hammer

AR 15 Serial Numbers 2.jpg

Mike, yes I've seen that list before. I just don't know if one list is more accurate than the other, or any other details on the sheet I listed. On my list, my gun falls into the range of "British Contract" guns, but there is definitely no British markings like on the lend/lease Thompsons, and could easily be a commercial/export CAR-15 as indicated on the other list. I think it would require Colt to chime in and help with this dilemma, but as you have found out, they won't assist with full-auto rifle research.

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Are these early M-16s and full-auto AR-15s C&R eligible? Or are only the Mod 1 Armalite Marked Colts? I know what the ATF identifies on the C&R web site, and I know the 50 year rule. But I never see these early class 3 weapons listed as C&R eligible.

Really would like to buy an M-16, but would like it to be C&R.

Thanks

Paul

Yes, they are C&R. They are factory made Colt automatics and they are over 50 yrs old. Have you found one to buy, because the early Colt or Armalite Rifles don’t come up for sale that often.