Check This Out

on ebay: item 2197170924 a demilled- HAH! "according to atf rules" 1928 Thompson receiver!

Wow!

I wonder if they (ATF) know of this one yet.

I am way too scared to bid - though it was tempting at $100's, and now it is over $700 and RESERVE NOT MET!

Makes you wonder who is selling this stuff. Wasn't this the same guy with the Roger Cox book - that went over $300??

Giantpanda--

I laugh out loud every time I see your avatar. The panda is outrageous!!!

Yea, I also wonder who would have the nerve to sell that receiver; maybe they carry a badge.

I bet the postman who brings it to your door will wear a phony mustache, dark sun glasses and a rubber nose.

I took a look at it last nite and am waiting to see if it sells. I might send the seller and high bidder a note regarding the legalities of this object. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif Can anyone tell if it is still in one piece? I can't tell from the photo.

Greg

I think from the photos it is in 2 pieces.

Why it is torch cut on one side and saw cut on the other, I cannot understand.

I also remember the rules are that it must be in 3 pieces - with at least 1/8" material removed in each cut (indicating a torch, not a saw cut). Does this sound right? Where can I find out?

I agree that the seller better know what he has - and ATF probably knows by now what he has, too. Good of you to email him. Especially since reserve is not yet met.

Please post his response if you get one!

Seems like I read somewhere about the old dewat processes just requireing a cut through one side of the receiver. Sarco is selling M1 carbine receivers with one side cut and I have seen others in SGN with the same cut (like garand recievers) for sale. Maybe the seller has a genuine old dewat reciever that for safety sake he decided to get saw cut also.

I also remember seeing a rewatted (transpherable) 28 for sale. The owners description stated that one side had orginially been cut and later welded back in.

Ahh if guns could only talk.

Dan

Deerslayer is correct about the old dewat process. As long as it didn't work was fine. Now its tougher.

Panda, you are also correct about the amount of material that must be displaced. Saw cuts are no longer kosher. Look at the Interordnance recall on their PPSh and FAL parts kits. You might check the ATF website for the official dope on the destruction process. Firearms Tech Branch usually puts something out when someone inquires about it.

Greg

Well, auctions over. He was offered $711 and it wasn't enough.

What is your opinions - if this was a legal demilling process in its day - would that make it legal to be sold now? Or would you need further demilling to make it legal?

If the gun was an old dewat (plugged barrel) and on paper, the guy would have no problems. This receiver looks like it was meant to be destroyed. To be legal to possess now, it would have to have another cut toward the rear of the receiver. This receiver would fall into a grey area. I have a feeling the seller has no criminal intent but who's to say the buyer does or does not. If this were brought to me, I would tell him to add an additional cut or abandon it to the gov't.

Thanks for the info!

He decided to relist this.... at buy it now of $700!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...egory=4720&rd=1

Still hiding ID's...????