My New 1928ac

I picked up my 1928AC yesterday. It has no "x" suffix on the serial number. It has no inspector marks. But does have 32 marks -- one on the barrel, one on the grip and one on each side of the buttstock.. I don't have access to a digital camera so I will try to describe the marks.

It is "CPD" surrounded by a circle. The sides of the buttstock are marked " 6 DIST" . The gun was supposed to have came from Joliet prison. It was bought from paragon sales in Ill. Dec 1982. The serial is in the 134,ooo range . Smooth barrel, "L" sight.

It took about 5 weeks for the transfer to clear...

Thanks for any info....

STEN

Good point == My question wasn't clear . http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/slap.gif -- My gun is an Auto Ordnance Bridgeport [ AO serial number]. No other marks other than manufacturer. No inspector stamps / acceptance stamps. there is a proof on the barrel and an "S" on the barrel.

My question is: The "CPD" stamp evidently stands for something... Does anyone know what?? It is CPD all made into one stamp about 3/8 " in diameter. Stamped after the metal on the barrel was blued. And lightly on the wood of the pistol grip. Also -- on the buttstock is " 6 DIST" stenciled on both sides in yellow paint. I was hoping that these marks would lead to finding out the original owner of the gun. It pretty much had to be a P.D. gun, since there is a lack of acceptance marks, and the "1" of 1928A1 was overstamped with a "C". The U.S. is ground off also. It doesn't appear to have been fired a great deal. It has the original finish, PArked receiver and a Dulite barrel. I do know it was bought from Paragon in Dec. of 1982.

I was told that the gun came from Joliet prison. This doen't relate to the "CPD" stamp, or the " 6 DIST".

Finding history on each Thompson is part of the fun.

I thought I would ask the group for their opinion.

Thanks

STEN

chicago p.d. still has all there's also so doe's joliet police,and the stateville system, cook county sheriff had a few a number of year's ago. they had finally located and sold...and some cook county jail model's.that went home with a few guards and later returned.then sold and are in the system,also will county had a few, since sold off year's ago....other then that thats all the info i can give out...

i'm sure that doe's not help too much..however it will help you if some carnival barker tell's you it came from that source...or one of the above....i followed many of these gun's and have seen them personally............so beside's what some may tell you about me...i do know what i am talking about.

instead of some arse-hat's around here who all they do is spout off krap with pic's of over weight actor's.

maybe if they did some homework on the subject of anything thompson.they could contribute more...and help you.

however that might take some intell.and nerve,oh yeah and some brain's..wink!!

the terminator of fool's...

t.c.ron

I might venture a guess that CPD could be GEG under a few buffs and reparks, etc.

Just a guess.... George E Goll was a Thompson inspector that had GEG stamped on many guns.

QUOTE (giantpanda4 @ Feb 13 2006, 08:24 PM)
I might venture a guess that CPD could be GEG under a few buffs and reparks, etc.

Just a guess.... George E Goll was a Thompson inspector that had GEG stamped on many guns.

Mike,

George E. Goll didn't mark the Auto-Ordnance made guns, just the Savage ones. The stamp stenguy is referring to is some sort of police agency stamp.

I agree with Respected Ron, it is not a Chicago Police Department stamp. I have seen the Chicago Police guns, as has Ron, and they did not stamp their guns with any type of CPD logo. Besides, they didn't keep their Thompsons in the Districts Police Stations. They were either at the Chicago Police Headquarters, or occasionally at the Detecive Bureau Area Headquarters. In addition, Ron is right, they didn't sell any of their guns.

It is most likely a County department or Corrections department gun. We'll get the answer for you sooner or later stenguy.

Very interesting.

It would be very helpful to see a picture of that stamp.... and the rest of it too! We love pictures!

I'll try to get access to a digital camera and post pictures.

The [CPD] stamp is all made into one piece like it was made for an importer or a business logo of some type. For instance "Cleveland Police Distributers" or something like that. I thought it was kind of a conversation piece and will post pictures soon.

thanks for the input.

STEN

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Feb 14 2006, 08:14 AM)
In my mind, the one thing which doesn't fit is the lack of an "X" suffix on the receiver serial number.  And it looks like the barrel may be Savage.  I wonder if AO might have used some Savage barrels during wartime production?

Phil,

The AO guns did use Savage and Stevens barrels. Initially, when AO opened their own plant in 1941, they only were making receivers and grip frames. Most AO guns are comprised of a mix of WWII contractor parts.

The lack of the X suffix is, I think, a more unusual variation of these law enforcement sale AO guns. Most of those seen have the X suffix. Maybe someday we'll figure out what the X suffix indicated.

QUOTE (gijive @ Feb 14 2006, 08:41 AM)
The lack of the X suffix is, I think, a more unusual variation of these law enforcement sale AO guns. Most of those seen have the X suffix. Maybe someday we'll figure out what the X suffix indicated.

Mine has the x suffix on the receiver but not the frame. Did they normally only put the x on the receiver?

The Mobile PD gun has the "X" on the receiver, but not on the grip frame as well. Sounds like someone forgot to "X" it. What does the Form 4 say?

No other markings on the gun, other than the obvious.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/TNKen/Thompson1928ACAOleftside.jpg

Ken

Edited by TNKen

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Feb 14 2006, 08:14 AM)
In my mind, the one thing which doesn't fit is the lack of an "X" suffix on the receiver serial number. And it looks like the barrel may be Savage. I wonder if AO might have used some Savage barrels during wartime production?

Respected Ron,

Now what's all this criticism of over-weight actors? Jackie Gleason and a lot of others would take strong exception... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif And what about the newly expanded version of Kirstie Allie, or however she spells her name these days?

phil j.jr.likes to bust my chop's so i thought for once i'd give him some board activity,however idid like that bird {ostritch}or gooney bird he posted..........i still have fun with it.he just likes to give me the finger.it's kinda nice to be thought of in that manner....."bringing up baby" take care,ron........

and i've never owned a thompson.wink!