Original 1921 Actuator: How Can You Tell?

I know I have an original 1921 actuator. I bought it as a kit containing the dual buffer tubes and original orange/red buffer disks. As I mentioned in a previous post, I sold the latter because I use a PK 21 buffer tube and spring. I may or may not have had PK reblue the actuator, but I cannot find any paper work to prove this. I just don't recall. However, the wear marks on it match those from the original picture I took of it before I installed it. So I don't think it was.

What subtle ways can be employed to show it is, in fact, a '21 and not a cleverly shaved '28? All I see on it is what looks like an "L" or a "7" stamped on one side. I didn't think many Colt parts had markings.

Does a rebluing effect the value?

What the going value on a lone '21 actuator?

I'm having a '28 shaved and feel like this might best be owned by a Colt. I bought this before I think anyone was remilling '28's but I could be wrong about that...

R

The cove cut on the front of the actuator while not on all Colts is a dead give away. The character of the knurling on the knob is also obvious when compared to a WWII unit. The hour glass sweep of the inside of the knob also stands out on comparison. Doug makes an excellent repop but he marks the right side with an R and I don't think he ever used the cove cut. Colts have no markings to my knowledge. Don't know about the refin or the value but at least 1K.likely more. There just are none, especially the early cove cuts

Bob D

TD advises this is an early Colt actuator. Here is a quick album I threw together just for fun... Sorry about the Husky hair. It's prolific here. I don't remember having it refinished, but my website says it was. Doesn't look like it now, but it only has about 500 rounds on it through my West Hurley.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SFCqy76CHMVR66bF7

Rust

Does anyone know at what point in production the square cuts above the cove cut were discontinued?

The Richardson reproductions have several differences compared to the original, all visible to the eye in a direct comparison.

Doug told me he made them to the original specs. I would never question Doug's expertise. He didn't do the cove cut.

But, the differences are definitely there, at least in my comparison to a dozen original 21 actuators, notched and unnotched.

Edited by mnshooter

TD advises this is an early Colt actuator. Here is a quick album I threw together just for fun... Sorry about the Husky hair. It's prolific here. I don't remember having it refinished, but my website says it was. Doesn't look like it now, but it only has about 500 rounds on it through my West Hurley.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SFCqy76CHMVR66bF7

Rust

I believe what you are suspecting is a 7 or L is just a random nick from production. I have a couple with similar marks in other locations.

All the 21 actuators I have examined do not have any actual letters or numbers.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I meant to retract that. When I photographed it in detail, the L or 7 was not there! R